HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 1:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to Gilles Courteau (the commissioner of the QMJHL), the events centre in downtown Moncton will be the second best venue in the entire league. Only the Videotron Centre in Quebec City will be better (and the Videotron Centre after all was built to be an NHL caliber arena).

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to Gilles Courteau (the commissioner of the QMJHL), the events centre in downtown Moncton will be the second best venue in the entire league. Only the Videotron Centre in Quebec City will be better (and the Videotron Centre after all was built to be an NHL caliber arena).
When the Nordiques come back (it's a matter of this year or next) you might see the Remparts skip town, pushing Moncton to #1.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:08 PM

EDIT: Not related to the thread per say, but the above comment^^^

Charlottetown is now exploring the possibility of a new facility

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/p...lity-1.3574532

Certainly wouldn't be the size of Quebec or Moncton but would be great for another Maritime team to be pushed up a few notches.

Last edited by Sandbagger; May 16, 2016 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
EDIT: Not related to the thread per say, but the above comment^^^

Charlottetown is now exploring the possibility of a new facility

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/p...lity-1.3574532

Certainly wouldn't be the size of Quebec or Moncton but would be great for another Maritime team to be pushed up a few notches.
Charlottetown missed their opportunity to replace the civic centre when they built the arena at UPEI to small. Moncton on the other hand, needed the 4-plex along with the coliseum/new events centre.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
When the Nordiques come back (it's a matter of this year or next) you might see the Remparts skip town, pushing Moncton to #1.
That would seem like the logical scenario but the owner of the remparts are Quebecor and they are also the operators of the videotron centre. Most reading I've done from fans in that area is that its expected to have both teams operate and that it will work quite flawlessly if Quebecor owns and runs both teams along with the building. It works in Calgary, unsure what support will remain for the remparts. They have such a long history in that city.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:09 PM
ハルウララ

The Remparts would most likely stay at Videotron in the event that the Nords return. Because Quebecor owns both they can just mimic what already happens in Calgary & Edmonton. Quebec is the largest franchise, brand-wise, for the Q so losing them and their national pull would be a difficult step for them to absorb.

If Charlottetown can build a new rink it would be a big plus for the Maritime Division. The other two divisions do feature newer rinks (Blainville, Shawinigan) and the Maritime rinks are slowly, slowly aging. It'll be a good boost to have two new venues with (hopefully) plenty of amenities for both fans and teams.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If Charlottetown can build a new rink it would be a big plus for the Maritime Division. The other two divisions do feature newer rinks (Blainville, Shawinigan) and the Maritime rinks are slowly, slowly aging. It'll be a good boost to have two new venues with (hopefully) plenty of amenities for both fans and teams.
PQ has the 3 newest rinks, but overall most of the Quebec teams arenas are ancient in comparison to the Maritime teams. Here's a list newest to oldest in the Q:

1. QUE Centre Videotron (2015)
2. BLA Centre d'Excellence Sports Rousseau (2010)
3. SHA Centre Bionest (2008)
4. BAT K.C. Irving Regional Centre (1996)
5. STJ Harbour Station (1993)
6. CHA Eastlink Centre (1990)
7. CAP Centre 200 (1987)

8. VIC Colisée Desjardins (1980)
9. HAL Halifax Metro Centre (1978)
10. MON Moncton Coliseum (1973)

11. BAC Centre Henry-Leonard (1970)
12. RIM Colisée de Rimouski (1966)
13. SHE Palais des Sports (1965)
14. DRU Centre Marcel-Dionne (1963)
15. GAT Robert Guertin Arena (1957)
16. ROU Aréna Iamgold (1951)
17. CHI Centre Georges-Vézina (1949)
18. VAL Centre Air Creebec (1949)

That's every Maritime team in the top ten (age-wise) and once Moncton's new rink is completed that will be 5 of the top 8 newest facilities. So it could be worse. You just can't beat the atmosphere in some of those old arenas though.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the Moncton Wildcats "Seventh Man" newsletter:

Quote:
An update on the new Downtown Center:

If you haven’t been by the site lately, all of the footings are now poured. You will see structural steel start to go in next month – it’s real folks!

We continue to work with the management company on securing a lease. We are taking the feedback you have provided and raising it in these discussions. The biggest feedback we are getting, by a country mile, is on parking. I have met with the city to highlight this as a major concern of our fans. They are going to work all summer on a parking strategy with hopes to be able to have something to communicate in the fall. I believe this will get resolved, however it will take time.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:56 PM

I'm more excited about the prospect of more bands bringing their tours here more so then a new home for the wildcats.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
PQ has the 3 newest rinks, but overall most of the Quebec teams arenas are ancient in comparison to the Maritime teams. Here's a list newest to oldest in the Q:

That's every Maritime team in the top ten (age-wise) and once Moncton's new rink is completed that will be 5 of the top 8 newest facilities. So it could be worse. You just can't beat the atmosphere in some of those old arenas though.
Sherbrooke's rink was updated and renovated prior to the return of the Phoenix in 2012. The Robert Guertin in Gatineau is going to be torn down in a year (I believe) and there's no real deal for a new rink yet. The rumours floating around right now indicate that the Senators may build a new complex in Gatineau for the Olympiques to play out of. Pure rumours at this point, though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:36 PM

I'm not sure if this was posted before, but the old CN/CP Unitel brick building (the one still standing near the events centre) will be torn down in the near future. The city posted this on their Facebook page.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
I'm not sure if this was posted before, but the old CN/CP Unitel brick building (the one still standing near the events centre) will be torn down in the near future. The city posted this on their Facebook page.
I wonder why they didn't just demolish it as part go the general demolition project?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder why they didn't just demolish it as part go the general demolition project?
Different land owner I believe. The event centre land was actually owned by a holding company of Bill Gates if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:07 AM

Probably the best images of the events centre Progress to date

Courtesy of Daniel St Louis Photography

https://www.facebook.com/DanielStLou...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/DanielStLou...type=3&theater

Its amazing what Drones have done for seeing projects develop at angles we've never seen before. Or this might be from a chopper? Not sure.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:23 AM

I can really see the footprint now! I am still having a hard time seeing them fitting all the seats in there and the food areas, but I'm sure I'm just being silly. Also looks like the times and transcript could use a new roof!

Last edited by Monctoncore; Jun 14, 2016 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm going to post this in the Canada section.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I can really see the footprint now! I am still having a hard time seeing them fitting all the seats in there and the food areas, but I'm sure I'm just being silly. Also looks like the times and transcript could use a new roof!
I find everything looks so tiny from that high up. Look at the courthouse especially..that building always seemed quite large to me from the ground level.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:11 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a photo as good as the second one to show people how underdeveloped and underutilized the downtown core just really has been all these years. Look at all that surface parking and lack of density.

I understand that parking is not an issue that can be ignored for some but I also dream of a downtown Moncton in 5-10 years that sees much of that space better utilized and collecting high taxes, and a fully revitalized St George that operates like a bustling Spring Garden in Halifax.

5 years ago that would I would not have thought that was a possibility..now it is not so far off.

One option I haven't seen mentioned in many places is to use the large surface lot on the Nissan/Rally Motors property on west main. Has anyone heard mention of this at the meetings?

This wouldn't be needed for all events. But I am thinking for events that are going to be large crowds. Have people park here and pay a 2 dollar fee and bus them over (particularily in winter). Use school buses that would not be utilized during this time of day anyway. Moncton hasnt shyed away from doing this for events like Fifa or Magnetic Hillconcerts. Why not for events expecting large crowds ? A tuesday night Wildcats game in November against Victoriaville wouldnt need this but the opening night of the arena for example would be a terrific test.

That lot seems like a huge waste when it is so close to the events centre. In larger cities people would have no issue walking to the arena from there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:52 AM

Next time someone mentions parking in a future comment section, feel free to use this.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Next time someone mentions parking in a future comment section, feel free to use this.

It would be a great spot to put up a 2 or 3 story parking garage but the major drawback during construction is where would you park everyone that works at Heritage Court. I am confident that the city will come up with a plan on this issue. The major problem I see witha parking garage there is only one way in and one way out and instead of having city of moncton employees handle the in and out have a self serve pay station to alleviate the pre and post game conjestion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces