HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I heard the same thing, but for July.

I also heard the VirginFestival might be coming. Theres so much out there on the concert scene in the maritimes this summer that its hard to keep track.
Oh maybe it was July 11th.... VirginFestival that would be great.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 7:42 PM
Nashwaaksissy

The Tragically Hip have been confirmed for Citadel Hill on July 4th, and it may be part of a larger festival. Virgin is apparently making some sort of national announcement tomorrow.

I've been updating the big list on page 1 as new shows are announced.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Last edited by kirjtc2; May 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 11:32 PM

I heard that there is going to be a annoucement about the Virgin music festival coming to Halifaz with some big acts.

I also heard that Paul McCartney is all but confirmed for July 11th for the Commons. Just waiting for an annoucenement.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 11:45 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Yeah, Virgin's announcing on Tuesday:

Virgin Festival Rolls Into Town With Some Big News

Canada’s hottest Festival announces even hotter line-up for Virgin Festival Nova Scotia

Halifax, May 8, 2009 – Virgin Festival is bringing the heat from coast to coast this year! On Tuesday, May 12, the team will drop into Halifax to announce the big time talent that will be making some noise at Virgin Festival Nova Scotia this summer!

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
You talkin' to me?

Paul McCartney may announce Halifax concert date: sources

Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney may rock it out in Halifax this summer.

Several sources have told Metro Halifax McCartney is close to announcing an outdoor show at the Halifax Common site Saturday, July 11.

One source said the announcement could come within days.

Harold MacKay of Power Promotional Concepts is said to be behind trying to bring McCartney to Halifax, but he was tight-lipped yesterday when approached on the subject.

“I’ve got nothing to say on it,” MacKay said when asked if he could confirm or deny the possibility of the McCartney show.

“No I can’t,” he then followed when asked if he could say if there were negotiations going on with the McCartney camp. “Any discussions with artists always have to remain 100 per cent confidential until something is really done.

“There’s nothing done that I’m aware of.”

In April 2008, MacKay confirmed he was in negotiations with McCartney’s tour director and production manager for a concert in late June or early July of that year. That concert never materialized, however, because MacKay said at the time there wasn’t enough time to put it together.

In trying to lure McCartney to Halifax last year, MacKay took McCartney’s senior tour staff to the Halifax Common site, where the Rolling Stones played to 50,000 fans in September 2006.

If this concert does happen it will be easily one of the biggest acts to ever hit Halifax. It will also make it back-to-back weeks for big outdoor shows at the Common site. Rock legends KISS are also performing at the Halifax Common on Saturday, July 18.

source: http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/loca...t-date-sources

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:20 PM

Additional acts announced for KISS concert
BURNSIDE
KEN PARTRIDGE
The Burnside News

Harold MacKay of Power Promotions in Burnside has announced the additional acts that will appear with KISS at this year's concert on the Commons. Joining the aging rockers on stage will be: Thornley, The Trews, Econoline Crush and the Novaks.

MacKay says, “These artists will provide a wide range of musical talent that will greatly enhance our show and make Halifax Rocks 2009 the place to be on July 18."

One more band is planned to be added to the line up, but that group is still to be selected. MacKay wants to put a local act in the show and is holding a 'battle of the bands' type of competition to select exactly who the local talent will be.

Early Bird general admission tickets are $89 (taxes in) and are available only until May 31.

A limited number of VIP tickets are available for $279 (taxes in). Tickets are on sale now at the Ticket Atlantic Box Office and select Atlantic Superstores. Tickets can also be ordered by phone at 902-451-1221 or on line at www.ticketatlantic.com.

For the latest updates on the artists and event go to www.halifaxrocks.ca

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 3:45 AM

I was at the John Fogerty Concert in Summerside last night! UNBELIEVABLE SHOW!!! Sold out at 3,400 people. I really think that says a lot for the City of Summerside and the Province of PEI as well.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 2:11 PM

Apparently...Brad Paisley is listing Moncton, Saint John, and Halifax concerts for the first week of September on his web site.

JL

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 7:14 PM
Unregistered Loser

Move over Moncton and Halifax, Saint John's got you beat...

Stompin Tom!

Take that Magnetic Hill with your ACDC and Bon Jovi!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hey, Stompin' Tom is from Saint John; it sounds like blatant favouritism if you ask me!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Hey, Stompin' Tom is from Saint John; it sounds like blatant favouritism if you ask me!
He was born is Saint John, but Stompin' Tom Conners is 'from' Skinners Pond PEI.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:13 PM
You talkin' to me?

Just heard that Paul McCartney is official and will play the commons July 11th. Not a very informative link, but it gets the point accross lol:

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#1624/2009-05

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

That may be so, but Bon Jovi is only playing Moncton because the Hub City gives love a bad name.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:09 PM

Concert preparations underway at Magnetic Hill

May 20, 2009 - 10:45 am
By: Cathy LeBreton - News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - With the first of two big concerts little more than a month away, preparations at Moncton's Magnetic Hill concert site are underway.

Moncton's General Manager of Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture says work is being carried out at the site in advance of the Bon Jovi show on June 27th.

Fowler says traffic will be a little more complicated for the AC/DC show which is on a Thursday night.

He says the city will be rolling out some of the logistical details of the August 6th show in a couple of weeks.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:13 PM
You talkin' to me?

McCartney to play Halifax Commons

Sir Paul McCartney will play the Halifax Commons on July 11, promoter Harold MacKay announced this afternoon at a news conference.

In what Mr. MacKay is calling the "largest and most exciting concert" in Halifax's history, the Paperback Writer has chosen Halifax as his only Canadian date this year.

“We are pleased and thrilled to announce today that our city will welcome Sir Paul McCartney live in concert on the Halifax Commons," Mr. MacKay, president of Power Promotional Events, said.

"With sales of over 100 million, Paul is listed by the Guinness World Records as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history. This iconic and legendary performer’s presence in our city will be an historic event for all Atlantic Canadians."

Mr. MacKay said he expects about 60,000 people at the show. Tickets go on sale May 29.

The afternoon news conference featured Premier Rodney MacDonald, whose government gave $300,000 to bring the "cute Beatle" to town. The money was given as a grant through the Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture.

Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly was also on hand and promised the city would provide up to $150,000 in services for the show, the same offer made to KISS.

Mr. MacKay said the show has been in the works for two years. Sir Paul's people were in town last May to check out the site and liked what they saw, he said.

In addition to Halifax being Sir Paul's only Canadian show, this is his only announced North American date so far.

Mr. MacKay wouldn't say how much Sir Paul is charging, but it's "more than a dollar".

The cost of the show is $2 million before artist fees, he said.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Congrats to Halifax for landing the big one. Between Sir Paul, Bon Jovi, AC/DC and the others, this is going to be the greatest concert season in Maritime history!!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:59 PM

Wow...with two major outdoor concerts and two minor ones in Hali and two major ones in Moncton along with the Tall ships in Hali this is going to be quite a summer for the Maritimes.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:17 PM
Nashwaaksissy

The big question: will you be able to get a hotel room in Halifax the entire month of July?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:09 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
The big question: will you be able to get a hotel room in Halifax the entire month of July?

Early and late july possibly, but anywhere from July 9th to July 23, I'd say not a chance in hell. Tall Ships is the real clencher though with an expected 1 million people visiting the waterfront during the 4 days.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 11:17 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Early and late july possibly, but anywhere from July 9th to July 23, I'd say not a chance in hell. Tall Ships is the real clencher though with an expected 1 million people visiting the waterfront during the 4 days.
The period of the 1 week between Macca & KISS with Tall Ships going on too, it is by far the busiest Halifax will ever have been...

I am pleased to know it's a quick half hour bus & ferry ride followed by a quick jaunt through downtown to get to the Commons from my front door. However I feel bad for the people coming here and getting/trying to get hotels, that week, nobody in the city is going to have a chance in hell of being able to get anywhere lol.

Any locals recall Tall Ships 2000? ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces