HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

For RAPID, the additional RAPID routes in Phoenix are based on some proposals I seen, while the RAPID routes for Loop 101 and 202 are my own ideas.
RAPID is a brand identity used only for express bus routes that run entirely within Phoenix.* Routes that run outside of city limits are identified just as express buses. Unless you propose to change this branding (and the political and financial circumstances behind it), the proposed Loop 101 and 202 routes should be reclassified as express buses.

*Although the I-10 East Rapid passes through Tempe on its way between Downtown and Ahwatukee, it doesn't make any stops outside Phoenix city limits.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
RAPID is a brand identity used only for express bus routes that run entirely within Phoenix.* Routes that run outside of city limits are identified just as express buses. Unless you propose to change this branding (and the political and financial circumstances behind it), the proposed Loop 101 and 202 routes should be reclassified as express buses.

*Although the I-10 East Rapid passes through Tempe on its way between Downtown and Ahwatukee, it doesn't make any stops outside Phoenix city limits.
I thought about that too. Perhaps my Loop 101 East Rapid can be Route 515, the Loop 101 West Rapid can be Route 577, the Loop 202 North Rapid can be Route 538, and the Loop 202 South Rapid can be either Route 539 or Route 543.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Perhaps my Loop 101 East Rapid can be Route 515, the Loop 101 West Rapid can be Route 577, the Loop 202 North Rapid can be Route 538, and the Loop 202 South Rapid can be either Route 539 or Route 543.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 10:40 PM

Environmental assessment for the South Central light rail extension is complete, and is available here:

http://www.valleymetro.org/publicati...al-assessments

There is a public open house at the Audobon Center May 25 regarding the environmental assessment and the extension.

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...nix+Journal%29

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 12:57 AM
Skyriser

Anyone have an idea how they're going to plop the train on the Salt River bridge? I can't imagine it was designed to support the weight of tracks and light rail vehicles.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:40 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Anyone have an idea how they're going to plop the train on the Salt River bridge? I can't imagine it was designed to support the weight of tracks and light rail vehicles.
I don't, but when the current rail line was built, the bridge where Apache Boulevard crosses the 101 Freeway had to be reinforced to hold the weight of trains. Maybe there's a similar plan for the bridge you're referring to.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It sounds pretty extensive. From the report:

Quote:
A structural analysis of the bridge over Salt River concluded that certain components of the bridge cannot support he weight of both traffic and light rail trains. The following actions would be taken to retrofit, modify and strengthen the bridge to withstand the additional weight of both transportation modes: add a new bridge deck and four new girder lines for the bridge's entire length, thicken all pier footings and replace existing abutments with a new cap beam/column substructure element. To accommodate both traffic and light rail, this concept would reduce the number of traffic lanes from two to one in each direction for automobiles and trucks...

The Build Alternative would cross the Salt River using the Central Avenue bridge. The current Central Avenue bridge cannot support the additional, periodic weight of light rail vehicles; therefore, constructing the Build Alternative would require retrofitting the existing bridge over the Salt River and the RSHRA. To retrofit the bridge, the center portion of the bridge deck and concrete girders would need to be removed and replaced. The retrofit would also excavate an area around each of the nine bridge piers to access the bridge foundations. The base dimensions of the pier footers (foundation) would not increase; instead each footing would be thickened vertically with additional concrete. For the two piers in open water and in wetlands, the work would occur well below the streambed, and the area above it would be restored to preconstruction conditions. No permanent acreage loss of WOUS or wetlands would occur. Accessing the bridge foundations would require temporarily removing the open water around the two center piers by installing cofferdams or sandbags and pumping the standing water from inside the cofferdams. Finally, a 50-foot-wide temporary access road would need to be constructed adjacent to the entire bridge and within the Salt River and RSHRA. This temporary road would provide access to cranes and other construction vehicles to assist in the replacement of bridge girders and other structures. Construction of the temporary road would require fill in, and the subsequent restoration of, wetlands and WOUS created by the RSHRA.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:59 PM

Quote:
After nearly three hours of discussion, the city council voted 4-3 to pass a measure agreeing on which route the light rail extension would take into Glendale.

The council heard input from local business owners and citizens, and both supporters and opponents of the light rail.
http://kjzz.org/content/310434/glend...te-west-valley

They've approved!! It's long overdue!!!

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 8:58 PM

Check out this article from azcentral:

Glendale narrowly approves West Valley light-rail route

http://azc.cc/1TJLXtQ

They're approved!!! Light rail will extend to Glendale corridor. Congratulations!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:28 PM

I know some here are put off by Jon Talton's ("Rogue Columnist") sometimes over-heavy helpings of doom and gloom, and while today's article also has its fair share of hyperbole, I thought it was nevertheless interesting:

http://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue_...n-station.html

He suggests the South Central light rail line should be re-routed to go south on 3rd Ave. instead of Central, down to Lincoln, then jog back over to 1st Ave/Central and go south along the currently planned route, in order to incorporate the historic Union Station building. He suggests this could be part of a long-term plan to create a travel hub for both light rail and commuter rail centered at the building.

I love the idea of wanting to try to revitalize Union Station as the cities he mentions in the post have done (Sacramento, Denver, Seattle). And it is a great looking building. It's hard to imagine any decision makers having THIS long-term of an outlook though. I have a hard time imagining this area being a significant hub, given the current layout of Phoenix. And it seems like a hard sell (as he somewhat recognizes in the article) to make a less clean, and probably expensive detour of the current route in order to accommodate future commuter transit that doesn't exist and isn't really concretely planned.

Not only that, but given that the light rail is already planned to run 2.5 blocks to the north on Jefferson, and 2.5 block to the east on 1st Ave, if commuter service ever did run through Union Station, I don't see why it couldn't still become a transit hub connecting commuter rail and light rail. People can walk 2 blocks. But conversely, your walk is by the jail and the county buildings...

I don't know. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I know some here are put off by Jon Talton's ("Rogue Columnist") sometimes over-heavy helpings of doom and gloom, and while today's article also has its fair share of hyperbole, I thought it was nevertheless interesting:

http://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue_...n-station.html

He suggests the South Central light rail line should be re-routed to go south on 3rd Ave. instead of Central, down to Lincoln, then jog back over to 1st Ave/Central and go south along the currently planned route, in order to incorporate the historic Union Station building. He suggests this could be part of a long-term plan to create a travel hub for both light rail and commuter rail centered at the building.

I love the idea of wanting to try to revitalize Union Station as the cities he mentions in the post have done (Sacramento, Denver, Seattle). And it is a great looking building. It's hard to imagine any decision makers having THIS long-term of an outlook though. I have a hard time imagining this area being a significant hub, given the current layout of Phoenix. And it seems like a hard sell (as he somewhat recognizes in the article) to make a less clean, and probably expensive detour of the current route in order to accommodate future commuter transit that doesn't exist and isn't really concretely planned.

Not only that, but given that the light rail is already planned to run 2.5 blocks to the north on Jefferson, and 2.5 block to the east on 1st Ave, if commuter service ever did run through Union Station, I don't see why it couldn't still become a transit hub connecting commuter rail and light rail. People can walk 2 blocks. But conversely, your walk is by the jail and the county buildings...

I don't know. Thoughts?
When Talton makes recommendations to "save" Phoenix, I think he often deliberately sets the bar so high so that his recommendations won't ever be implemented and he can then continue to say "told ya so" as loudly as possible. He almost admits that with these words "I write about plenty of opportunities that Phoenix will never grasp..." I see this latest post as fitting that pattern.

Although I think it's a considerable exaggeration to proclaim Union Station one of the most beautiful buildings in the Southwest, it should be reactivated as a station for commuter and intercity rail service. Nevertheless, that can happen without deviating light rail and increasing travel times for the majority of passengers not going to Union Station. As you state, it's a short walk.

Finally, if Talton must write about Phoenix (although thankfully he's doing it less often), I wish he'd drop the fatuous "WBIYB" meme. Saying "We built it, you bastards" might have seemed clever the first time it was uttered, but it hasn't aged well and just seems forced every time it appears. Besides, Talton left town before light rail opened for service, so I find his usage of the pronoun "we" questionable.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jun 8, 2016 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:55 PM
self-important urbanista

This presentation at yesterday's Phoenix City Council meeting is a good overview of planned improvements in bus service, expansion of light rail, and enhancement of street maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtynOwfZ-c

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 7:17 PM
Skyriser

Meh. Huge, lengthy sales tax for basically what was promised to voters in 2004 + South Central for light rail.

Yes, I know the economy melted down since, but I was hoping for a lot more out of 104.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 4:45 PM

June update on Tempe Streetcar:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=41951

Nothing particularly new, but appears on schedule.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:00 AM
self-important urbanista

Scottsdale's city council has adopted a transportation plan that specifically excludes light rail and modern streetcar.

http://www.scottsdaleindependent.com...oving-forward/

This is not really surprising, but it's amusing how the dominant anti-rail faction feels the need to say "no" every which way it can.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Scottsdale's city council has adopted a transportation plan that specifically excludes light rail and modern streetcar.

http://www.scottsdaleindependent.com...oving-forward/

This is not really surprising, but it's amusing how the dominant anti-rail faction feels the need to say "no" every which way it can.
Hmm. What it did says? Do you think they will have a light-rail in Scottsdale? Don't we have a master plan?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hmm. What it did says? Do you think they will have a light-rail in Scottsdale? Don't we have a master plan?
Scottsdale has always loudly declared that they have no interest in having rail connections to the rest of the valley

they have a partial point, most of their population has no need or want for it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:53 PM

Tempe Street Car

Update from Tempe Transportation Commission on the Tempe Street Car for anyone interested:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=42757

Most of what's going on right now is making sure we get the $75m in federal money that was in Pres. Obama's preliminary budget. This won't be final until Fall 2017. They're also doing RFQs for the final design and public art this month. Seem to still be on track for a planned 2019 completion.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 11:45 PM
self-important urbanista

District Court Ruling re South Mountain Freeway

I just learned via Twitter (@azacg) that a federal judge has ruled in favor of ADOT regarding a lawsuit to stop the South Mountain Freeway. An appeal to the 9th Circuit seems almost certain.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:46 PM

Street Car

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...tops/88764728/

Quote:
The vision for Tempe's $177 million proposed downtown streetcar line includes hybrid cars that use batteries to avoid overhead wires on parts of the route along Mill and Ash avenues.

But some manufacturers of the vehicles say they can't guarantee the batteries will have enough juice to handle both thoroughfares on hot summer days.

The city is working with Valley Metro, its partner on the project, to explore the wireless option for the portion of the streetcar line that will run along those avenues in the heart of downtown.

It is one of two ways the city wants to make the streetcar more aesthetically appealing.

Also included in the plan is a $735,000 allocation to add a piece of public art for each of the 14 streetcar stops planned along the 3-mile route. The art would be similar to the way public art has been installed at 28 light-rail stops across the Valley, including eight pieces in Tempe.

The entire project is contingent on a $75 million federal grant, which is included in President Barack Obama's budget proposal for 2017. However, Congress has yet to act on the funding proposal. The Federal Transit Administration earlier this year made the recommendation to include the Tempe streetcar in the federal budget.

In addition to the $75 million in federal money, funding sources include a regional transportation sales tax adopted by Maricopa County voters, a local transit sales tax in Tempe and a Maricopa Association of Governments fund for projects that mitigate traffic congestion and improve air quality...

Scott Smith, interim CEO of Valley Metro, told the City Council recently that should Congress not approve the funding in the new budget, the project must be resubmitted for authorization. That could delay the timeline of work starting next spring and a 2019 opening...

Valley Metro and city officials have received mixed feedback from potential bidders on the feasibility of having cars that run without overhead wires on both Mill and Ash between University and Rio Salado drives in the heart of downtown, Smith told the council earlier this month.

“We’re highly confident that Mill Avenue is a go because that's what the manufacturers have told us,'' Smith said, adding that all but one potential bidder expressed doubt that batteries had the capacity to handle the Ash line as well on extremely hot days.

Councilwoman Lauren Kuby noted a consultant's study that concluded wireless cars could handle both streets. Smith assured her Valley Metro would brief potential bidders on those findings.

“There are wireless trains that now exist in the country, but none are going as far as would be going with the Mill and Ash segment. In addition to that, we have extreme temperatures in an urbanized setting, a lot of stop and go.”
Eric Iwersen, Tempe transportation planner, on the problems with the plan to put wireless streetcars operated by batteries on Mill and Ash avenues
"I don’t want to see the wireless part of ours streetcar short-shrifted. To have wires on Ash but not on Mill doesn’t make sense,'' Kuby told The Arizona Republic.

While the council agreed to explore wireless options, not all are convinced both streets need the wireless cars.

“I think there’s a good argument to be made about why we shouldn’t have overhead wires on Mill. There are trees and other things there,'' Councilman Kolby Granville said in an interview. “I’m not sure there is an overriding reason to have overhead lines on Ash. I’m willing to defer to the majority of the council."

Granville said the most important factor is making sure the city acquires streetcars that don't fail, even on the hottest days of the year...

The streetcar plan also sets aside $735,000 to pay for 14 pieces of public art — one for each planned streetcar stop. The art would be in four distinct zones along the route, Iwersen said during the council presentation.

The city will solicit proposals from artists for the work, with $52,500 set aside for each piece, he said, and hire one artist for each zone. The public and the Tempe Municipal Arts Commission will provide feedback on the proposals and make recommendations to the council...

"I think it’s well worth the investment. We’re not just building infrastructure. We’re building a community.’’

In its report on the light-rail projects, Valley Metro says, "The Federal Transportation Agency encourages the inclusion of public art on light-rail systems because of its ability to contribute a sense of neighborhood pride near stations."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest