HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 5:45 PM

Has anyone else noticed or discussed steel going up behind Kenny's Pond at the top of Tiffany's Lane? I believe there was a condo building discussed for this area, not sure if this is what has begun construction.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 11:25 PM

Maybe The Madison condos is getting built there.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 2:43 AM

Drove over McDonald Drive yesterday and noticed they were building an extension onto Mary Queen Of Peace School. Maybe that's what you saw. That's kinda in the same area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadyP View Post
Has anyone else noticed or discussed steel going up behind Kenny's Pond at the top of Tiffany's Lane? I believe there was a condo building discussed for this area, not sure if this is what has begun construction.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 1:46 PM

New Holiday Inn opens near St. John’s airport:

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...%3Bs-airport/1

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:20 PM

Proposal before the City for development of two x 4 story office buildings on Sugarloaf Place. Seems like an odd spot, but that area is mostly commercial and industrial. Would require a zoning change as it is currently zoned Rural. The site borders on the boundary with Logy Bay.
The development would require a lot of infrastructure upgrades (roads, water and sewers) to be first completed by the developer.

Doesn't look promising to me...

http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...ugarloaf-place

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Proposal before the City for development of two x 4 story office buildings on Sugarloaf Place. Seems like an odd spot, but that area is mostly commercial and industrial. Would require a zoning change as it is currently zoned Rural. The site borders on the boundary with Logy Bay.
The development would require a lot of infrastructure upgrades (roads, water and sewers) to be first completed by the developer.

Doesn't look promising to me...

http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...ugarloaf-place
It's possibly that this is for industrial related offices but it's a bad place for office buildings specifically because it's near the dump. Not sure it will be outside the "smell zone".

I'm actually for more development of office buildings, especially ones that are at least 4 stories.

We seem to have commercial and industrial zones/parks but no office parks. So developers are literally plopping office developments anywhere. In a weird way it's leading to a sort of "mixed development". If you go to other cities there are dedicated office parks/hubs with tech/financial companies.

I think it's because most white collar workers in Newfoundland have historically been in government/academia. Which is why the largest office buildings in Newfoundland are government buildings. So planners haven't really had to think much about office buildings and zoning.

I wonder if St. John's should have zoned a large area specifically for office related development. If nothing else to attract more tech/white collar businesses to build and set up offices here.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 11:20 PM

Alt Hotels has the entire construction zone fence on corner of Habour Drive and Water Street cover with a colourful mesh graphics showcasing the hotel's brand with graphics and photos.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 2:50 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Alt Hotels has the entire construction zone fence on corner of Habour Drive and Water Street cover with a colourful mesh graphics showcasing the hotel's brand with graphics and photos.
Saw this last night, it was a pretty exciting site. Alt Hotels are really great, I'm all for one in this location.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:33 PM

150 Stavanger Drive Rezoning

Quote:
The City of St. John's has received an application from 11368 NL Ltd. to rezone undeveloped land at 150 Stavanger Drive (between 140 Stavanger and 200 Stavanger) from the Commercial Regional (CR) Zone to a proposed new residential zone. The purpose of the rezoning is to develop 20 single detached houses on small lots along a new public street (a cul-de-sac).
The city is suggesting the creation of a new zone that would allow for the construction of detached houses on smaller lots than are currently permitted. I don't like the idea of adding yet another zone to the development regulations to accommodate a specific developer. The city could change the minimum lot area for a single detached dwelling in the R3 zone to 250 square meters, which would allow for denser development elsewhere in the city and a wider range of permitted uses in the new development. Alternatively, the developer could request rezoning to R2 to build 18 semi-detached units instead of 20 detached units in the proposed new zone. In either case, the city could establish the proposed 7 m building line on the cul-de sac using section 8.3.1 of the existing development regulations. The RNL zone has only three permitted uses (single detached dwelling containing only 1 dwelling unit, home office, and accessory building), and I don't want the city to create another low-rise, low-variety residential zone, which seems to be where the proposal for 150 Stavanger Drive is heading. Information on the upcoming public meeting can be found here.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:44 PM

There is a public meeting announcement on Twitter today for this development. Here is a link too with designs and floor plans of the proposed homes. They look kinda nice. The public meeting is on Wed, June 1 at 7pm at City Hall.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%20Drive_1.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
The city is suggesting the creation of a new zone that would allow for the construction of detached houses on smaller lots than are currently permitted. I don't like the idea of adding yet another zone to the development regulations to accommodate a specific developer. The city could change the minimum lot area for a single detached dwelling in the R3 zone to 250 square meters, which would allow for denser development elsewhere in the city and a wider range of permitted uses in the new development. Alternatively, the developer could request rezoning to R2 to build 18 semi-detached units instead of 20 detached units in the proposed new zone. In either case, the city could establish the proposed 7 m building line on the cul-de sac using section 8.3.1 of the existing development regulations. The RNL zone has only three permitted uses (single detached dwelling containing only 1 dwelling unit, home office, and accessory building), and I don't want the city to create another low-rise, low-variety residential zone, which seems to be where the proposal for 150 Stavanger Drive is heading. Information on the upcoming public meeting can be found here.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 5:36 PM

The fpundation for a new building is well underway on the parking lot of Golf Town parking lot on White Rose Drive.
Does anyone know what is going there?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
The fpundation for a new building is well underway on the parking lot of Golf Town parking lot on White Rose Drive.
Does anyone know what is going there?
No idea. However, there was a sign up for Panago Pizza advertising franchising information. I didn't say it was coming there, but seemed odd that it would be there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:39 PM

I drove by the site of the proposed Mico Boutique Hotel/Apartments at the east end of Water St. today and noticed that there are "For Sale" signs on the fence. I guess the economics weren't quite right for that development at this time. Maybe someone with REALLY deep pockets can scoop up this site and the other one across the street on Temperance and put together a nice BIG comprehensive proposal. I know, I'm dreaming.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 4:43 PM

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0a&oe=58B1BC31

Here is a pic of the progress of the new Best Western Hotel Jetstream Avenue at the Airport. It is directly behind the new Holiday Inn Express and even closer to the new Cougar Helicopter Terminal.
The tower portion on the left is actually the elevator shaft and the rest of the building which looks to be "L" shaped will eventually be built up around it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 7:22 PM

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2d&oe=5918EC2A

Here is a rendering of the new Best Western Plus Hotel currently under construction at the Airport directly behind the new Holiday Inn Express.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:29 PM

Can't figure out how to post a pic from my iPad. So here is a web link to the latest council agenda showing the new and quite large office building proposed for Sea Rise Drive opposite Canadian Tire that's on Hebron Way. Just scroll to see the article and concept drawings and site plan. Seems like Hebron Way is heading for the high density office building location.

What's hilarious though is that there are a couple of letters of objection to this building which is only 6 floors high from other nearby office buildings complaining about the sheer height of a 6 story building. LOL.

Here is the web link on St. John's.ca

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...C%202017_3.pdf

Last edited by Arrakis; Feb 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Seems like Hebron Way is heading for the high density office building location.
Rejected last night by a unanimous Council ( https://twitter.com/HappyCitySJ/stat...76670310006784 ). Apparently, the amendment would have doubled the height restriction to 30 meters for all Commercial Regional citywide, which was too broad a change for Council. Also does not help that the developer, KMK Capital, is suing the city (and thus the residents of St. John's) for $7.2 million over Bryn Mawr Cottage.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:46 PM

Hoyles/Escasoni has been sold for $650,000 to the same company that purchased the IJ Sampson school.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sold-1.4053669

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 1:56 PM

Best Western Plus St John's Airport Hotel & Suites, has a sign posted for July 2017 opening.

https://www.facebook.com/Best-Wester...6257873601172/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 8:50 PM

That's pretty nice looking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's