HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
But I don't believe any carrier will fly regular whale service to ORD this year.
Why do you make this guess - the Gulf carriers had said they were very interested in doing so. And carriers are often lamenting the capacity limitations at T5. Also, wouldn't our Dept of Aviation have marketed this well enough to get at least one user over the entire second half of the year?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
But I don't believe any carrier will fly regular whale service to ORD this year.
If no carrier intended to use it then the city wouldn't have upgraded the gate. If their one-off flight is without issue then I think you'll see Emirates start regular A380 service shortly after.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
If no carrier intended to use it then the city wouldn't have upgraded the gate. If their one-off flight is without issue then I think you'll see Emirates start regular A380 service shortly after.
I never wrote no one would use it, I simply stated a fact that no carrier had regular scheduled planned service this year and most carriers are working on winter and spring schedules now.

I do hope ORD is working on at least 1 one more A380 gate For flight delays of the surprise announcement of 2 carriers wanting to fly the whale to ORD. Emirates seems like the likely candidate, with possibly BA or Qatar. Korean doesn't have the demand they once had here with Asiana on the route, and T1 isn't capable of handling the plane for Lufthansa.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 3:43 PM

New hotels

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 4:35 PM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyflyer View Post
Short answer, yes. The parallel configuration allows for the highest amount of traffic. Using either of the 4/22's reduces airport capacity, so their use is limited to specific situations. At some point the cost/benefit ratio becomes a factor and that apparently will be coming sooner rather than later. While crosswind limits are a factor, truth is the amount of time this would be limiting arrivals is very, very, very small. The benefits of the added daily capacity exceed that of the ability to continue ops in the limited events of extreme crosswinds.
UA pilot, is it mostly the smaller regional jets that have issues? Larger jets should be able to land in nearly all cross-winds, as they do in most parallel airports (Heathrow, etc.). If so, I think we can live without regionals (or live with some regional flight cancellations on strong wind days).

And the northern diagonal runway makes no sense to keep, it cuts right through westward terminal expansion. the west airfield can accommodate another Denver airport (or larger) if it was utilized effectively.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post

I spy ... a new Concourse L-prime, and possible Concourse M bus gates.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post

I spy ... a new Concourse L-prime, and possible Concourse M bus gates.
What about terminal 4 & 6? Amy news lately?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post
UA pilot, is it mostly the smaller regional jets that have issues? Larger jets should be able to land in nearly all cross-winds, as they do in most parallel airports (Heathrow, etc.). If so, I think we can live without regionals (or live with some regional flight cancellations on strong wind days).

And the northern diagonal runway makes no sense to keep, it cuts right through westward terminal expansion. the west airfield can accommodate another Denver airport (or larger) if it was utilized effectively.
All aircraft are effected by heavy crosswinds to some degree....One point, the larger mainline carriers do train pilots to land in very low visibility. Most regionals cannot land in very low visibility due to the extra training required. That's not based on the size of the aircraft but the training. Some small carriers that fly bigger aircraft also have this issue due to training wich is expensive.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 9:13 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...e-hilton-space

is this link working now??
when does the Rental Garage/ATS extension construction start?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...e-hilton-space

is this link working now??
when does the Rental Garage/ATS extension construction start?
Haven't been in the area in many months but work has gotten started. Earthwork has been going on at the parking structure site east of Mannheim. I'm aware some work started in Lot E because I worked for a contractor last year who is building the columns for the ATS extension.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:46 PM

^is there a map of that proposal? having a hard time picturing where it would go etc

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
^is there a map of that proposal? having a hard time picturing where it would go etc
The new hotel would go where the "future collateral develop" tag is. Not sure what happens to the cell phone lot or the kiss and fly. Does anybody actually drop passengers off here? The departures level at the terminals is usually not too congested.

https://www.transportation.gov/tifia...t-use-facility

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 11:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I drive through this area a lot due to work and there is already a ton of activity:

- Concrete piers in place for 'joint use' facility structure have been (mostly poured)
- Concrete piers have also been poured for what is currently shown as a surface lot, very close along Mannheim...which is odd since it's a surface lot...so is this in preparation for the future hotel ardecila mentioned, and if so, I'm surprised nothing else has been mentioned about this.
- Concrete piers for 'Loading dock' at the south end of the Mannheim bend are also almost fully formed.
- The overpass above Mannheim is (very slowly) taking shape.

I wish I could take pictures, but lane closures and construction workers walking in and out of area on Mannheim would make photography from one's car a bad idea.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 11:48 PM

Old video at a "big city airport" from 1948. The airport and city are Midway and Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWlM7s1fvbY

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Old video at a "big city airport" from 1948. The airport and city are Midway and Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWlM7s1fvbY
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this. I haven't seen it yet. Is that old Midway Airport? It was very small runway, but they don't have extended the long runway.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this. I haven't seen it yet. Is that old Midway Airport? It was very small runway, but they don't have extended the long runway.
Most of the runway concrete is still there although they use a few of them as taxiways only now. That old terminal building was still there until the 1990's. The old north TWA and AA hangars are still there, although that United hangar shown in the landing shot is gone.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 6:13 PM

@ardecila thanks for the map

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Most of the runway concrete is still there although they use a few of them as taxiways only now. That old terminal building was still there until the 1990's. The old north TWA and AA hangars are still there, although that United hangar shown in the landing shot is gone.
Wow! Thank you for information about this. I am really appreciate that. I have no idea what happened there. It was over nearly 3 decades ago. I never been in Midway before, but I went to ORD.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:55 AM

O'Hare gate deal takes off—nine more now, likely dozens soon after

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ens-soon-after

Quote:
First, the existing Terminal 5, which now serves only international flights, will have nine gates added to the current 24. The new gates will go on the east end of the terminal, where some small structures recently were demolished.

The $300 million project will be funded with existing O'Hare revenues and passenger seat charges. While the airlines support the plan, using existing revenue sources will expedite work, with the city to formally seek a design bidder next week and construction to be completed in 2019, Evans said.
Another A380 gate will be part of the T5 expansion.

Looks like the existing T2's days are numbered now and they could end up using the entire midfield for more terminal space.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 2:32 AM

Finally!!! Just about time!!! It's long overdue!!!

Do you think airlines codeshare partners will moved into terminal 1 or 2? Do you think it will work? They don't have to go to terminal 5 anymore. They can stay inside at sterile area. Can they have their own CBP facility? Delta will eventually moved to terminal 5 to be with codeshare partners & Skyteam alliance, as well as ULCC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation