HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 11:12 AM

Some of you who are criticizing this building are posters whose opinions I enjoy and respect (one of you is a troll--you know who you are). It seems as if it is more of a location issue than a design issue with you. I agree that this building really pushes the limits of height and bulk, considering its location close to the greatest skyscraper ever built.

The greatest skyscraper that will ever be built.

hmmmm

I started this post planning on making a case for great design. Safdie is an accomplished architect without a major New York commission. And this building sure does look like it might be good. The way it pixelates as it climbs. This is a vertical Habitat 67 that would be the perfect period to Safdie's career. And if you're going to build close to ESB, you better make it a masterpiece, but...

BUT...

You guys might be right. Maybe it doesn't matter that this could be one of the better designs that New York sees this decade. Maybe the Empire State Building is just too important. It makes me a little queasy to say that considering I have been conditioned to embrace and love good architecture so fiercely when it comes along. Especially considering the pile of garbage built last decade that sits immediately across Fifth Avenue from ESB.

Isn't this building an as-of-right development? So this conversation is pointless anyway. Perhaps it'll be win win, or win-lose-win. We get a beautiful new building that blocks important views of our greatest building that prompts politicians from allowing it to happen again. If I've learned anything about New York development, it usually ends up being lose lose lose. Ugh

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 3:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

People, listen, when there's money involved, and when economics dictate that a tower must rise in order to meet a certain demand, it will rise. This is just saber-rattling.

To think that developers will just ignore certain neighborhoods, and cease the economic progress of the city over some landmarks is delusional thinking.

The parcels where purchased, a lot of soft costs have already gone into a project like this, and all of that money is not going to be suddenly wasted because people think it shouldn't rise here. That's not how real estate works.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:36 PM

Churches Redeveloping Properties to Give Them New Life

ROBYN A. FRIEDMAN
Sept. 29, 2015
Quote:
Enter the word “church” in the keyword search box on commercial real estate listing site LoopNet and hundreds of properties will pop up for sale, from historic churches in rural areas to mega-churches in urban ones.

Many churches have little choice but to sell because they’re in or near foreclosure, often because they’re struggling with declining membership and high maintenance costs. Other churches, however, are flourishing and selling their current facilities to move to larger ones elsewhere.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 10:15 AM

The Death And Life Of The Bancroft Building, 1896-2015

VITALI OGORODNIKOV
OCTOBER 2, 2015

Long article but here is the link if interested

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 12:40 PM

Plan To Remake West 29th Street Halted By Time, Lack Of Quorum

EVAN BINDELGLASS
OCTOBER 28, 2015

Quote:
There is a plan in the works that would drastically change West 29th Street between Broadway and Fifth Avenue. It involves six buildings in total, including two individual landmarks, and includes one 64-story mixed-use tower. The plan, being developed by HFZ Capital and the Collegiate Churches of New York, was presented to the Landmarks Preservation Commission on Tuesday. Members of the public testified, but by the time that happened, it was about 6 p.m. and, not having a quorum, no action was taken and the matter was tabled.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This ones all over the place.

NYY

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:43 PM

I don't dislike the design per se, it just seems like the wrong design for this location. I wish they had gone with something more 'Gotham' than Miami.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:28 PM
dazzle me

yeah, dump the miami sort of super rich design and go with traditional gotham and you could have saved the bancroft building instead of putting in a dopey pocket park plaza thing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:42 PM

i think the way/degree it would block the ESB is actually offensive because walking up the 5th avenue corridor is the best way to appreciate the ESB, and if this goes up it would be ruined. that doesn't mean it shouldn't be built, but this is one case where views actually should be preserved IMO.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
i think the way/degree it would block the ESB is actually offensive because walking up the 5th avenue corridor is the best way to appreciate the ESB, and if this goes up it would be ruined. that doesn't mean it shouldn't be built, but this is one case where views actually should be preserved IMO.
100% agreed. This tower basically ruins any straight-on view of ESB from the south. All the iconic views from 5th ave, Madison Sq Park (including the uber popular 230 5th Ave rooftop view), Washington Sq park, and 1WTC observatory, etc, would be ruined. This shouldn't be built so high.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 10:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Something like this would work near 56 Leonard or even near the HY as that is the melting pot for futuristic and experimental design. IDK, I personally am not comfortable with this. I agree with Nikolai as well. My first reaction was how bad it complements the ESB.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 3:33 AM

they want to block ESB views . . 'cause . . oink oink . .
the rude rich wanna HOG these views . .
It's about exploiting "big-upclose-Masterpiece-views" for PROFIT . .
Once they realize that they can get away with this crass violation . .
encroaching on our city's most venerated majestic architectural symbol . .
to make a bundle . . Once the line has been initially crossed . .
Copy-cat developers are gonna inundate this bandwagon but quick . .

The now accessible impressive southern facade view of the ESB . .
especially from the South East . . is soon to be enveloped. .
by cheapo parasite "luxury" (Chinese?) towers with balconies . . lookin' to cash in . .
utterly disregarding the spacial aura of . .
and disrespecting the mystique of New York City's monument office tower . .

If this was Verre or 30 Park Place . .
I might not have a problem with tall buildings being so close to ESB . .
not 111 W57 or 432 Park though (for obvious reasons) . .
The taller alignment of buildings along the West side of 5th Ave. North of ESB . .
exonerates the Setai . . the tall Gwathmey, Siegel tower 3 blocks north . .
which didn't further mar ESB views that much more . .
And 15 Penn Plaza is distant enough to go up no problem . .
But these precious wide-open top-to-bottom Southern exposures to the South East . .
are another matter entirely . .
Yes - nuanced regulation would be in order here . . .

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Demo is in the process of occurring for this project. Permits have been filed, and scaffolding is in order in the days to come.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 12:17 PM

HFZ’s 64-Story Moshe Safdie Tower Hinges On Restoration Of Gilsey House

EVAN BINDELGLASS
FEBRUARY 10, 2016

Quote:
Back in October, the Landmarks Preservation Commission heard a proposal that would remake a good chunk of West 29th Street between Broadway and Fifth Avenue. It would include restoring two landmarks and construction of a 64-story mixed-use tower. The hearing in October was paused because of the late hour and lack of quorum, and when it resumed on Tuesday, it became clear that one aspect of it was the big stumbling block.

HFZ Capital Group wants to build a 796-foot-tall, Jenga-esque, Moshe Safdie designed tower that would have its base massed on West 30th Street. In order to do that, HFZ needs the air rights from the Gilsey House residential building at 1200 Broadway and the Marble Collegiate Church at 1 West 29th Street, both individual landmarks. In order to get all of that, they need the LPC to approve restoration plans for Gilsey House and the church and design the base of the tower to be appropriate for next to the landmarks. It’s all part of a 74-711 application and this is not a historic district.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Nice, a ~800 footer in that location will certainly make an impact. Also, it says the tower will be "Jenga-esque", so a 56 Leoanard twin maybe?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

Like the tower. Hate the ESB southern epic view blocking location.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:33 PM
Metal Up Your !

Someone stop this heinous crime.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 6:10 PM

This makes me sad. Really compromises the Empire State Building. Hard to argue with that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:36 PM
Development Shill

This building in the definition of an architect trying waaaaaayyyy too hard to be cool and edgy, and just ends up designing something that would look nice in a tropical climate. When will architects realize you need to take surrounding buildings and a city's history into context when designing a building??

Cities like New York and Chicago are way too rugged for all these weird resort like skyscraper designs they've been getting the last 3 years

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction