HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:16 PM

Oh yes! At least once I got a schnozz full of beer because I tipped it back slightly too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes, that's right! I never did it, but one needed to be MOST steady while drinking a yard of beer!!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:20 PM

Yes, that was the Embassy. It was there for decades.

As for the school, I was going to say W.C. Howe, but it was closer to Gordon Road and Rae Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRR View Post
Was the name of the Greek Restaurant next to the Free House the Embassy or something it was a Vietnamese place the last time I was in town.

There was a school in Lake View near St Pius. Was demolished in early 80s now houses. Can anyone remember it’s name?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Oh yes! At least once I got a schnozz full of beer because I tipped it back slightly too much!
No doubt. Are there any establishments in Saskatoon where they serve the "yard"? (I'm sure there certainly are; gotta try one.) Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRR View Post
There was a school in Lake View near St Pius. Was demolished in early 80s now houses. Can anyone remember it’s name?
Assiniboine School was at 3301 Robinson Street. It's now Lakeview Estates.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Assiniboine School was at 3301 Robinson Street. It's now Lakeview Estates.
That's it...thanks.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 10:27 PM

They might at O'Shea's on 2nd Ave, but don't quote me on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
No doubt. Are there any establishments in Saskatoon where they serve the "yard"? (I'm sure there certainly are; gotta try one.) Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, it was a Dominion Store on the lower level. The restaurant you are thinking of was Grandma Lee's. When the mall first opened in either 1966 or 1967, I recall there was a great Polynesian restaurant on the lower level which I believe was called the Beachcomber. I recall going in their once with my parents and its decor and menu was petty unique. You entered from the mall over a small bridge over a little brook. It was very near the water feature that SkydivePilot mentioned a few posts ago (which was made of exposed aggregate concrete) and its shape was more akin to that of a curling rock. I loved that and hoped it would remain in the Galleria but alas, it did not. The Midtown Centre wasn't huge and didn't have that many stores. I remember there was a White Cross drug store which had an outside entrance direct to 11th Avenue as well as a mall entrance. There was a Coles book store, which also had its own outside entrance. There were two financial institutions, one of which, ScotiaBank, is still there. There also was a stereo shop on the main floor at the Rose Street entrance but the stores for the most part were forgettable, at least to a young kid. Remember, this was 10+ years before planning for the Cornwall Centre even started. This was Regina's second enclosed mall (after Northgate Mall).
Funny, there was also a Polynesian restaurant in the Regina Inn Called the Tiki Room.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 11:53 PM

Yes, I remember that too. The Regina Inn was very nice when it first opened. There were plans for adding a non-revolving rooftop dining room and night spot but it was never built. Since this is the 'remember when' thread, do you remember the Stage West Dinner Theatre, with a different 'star' performing in each production? I remember seeing a few shows with my parents. One of the stars I saw was Nancy Kulp who played Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies. It was located on the main floor. As well, there was the Odeon Centre cinema on the lower level and the small mall with such businesses as White Cross Drugs, Mr Big and Tall and Safeway at the far end. The Regina Inn also had a circular ramp leading from the front down into the underground parking garage. Hopefully they do a nice job making it into the DoubleTree by Hilton. I wish they would do something with the exterior of the former mall and Safeway store as, IMO, it is ugly. The one thing I will remember and miss most was the large neon Regina Inn signs (in elegant script) on the east and west facades of the tower. Ah, the days of neon signs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, I remember that too. The Regina Inn was very nice when it first opened. There were plans for adding a non-revolving rooftop dining room and night spot but it was never built. Since this is the 'remember when' thread, do you remember the Stage West Dinner Theatre, with a different 'star' performing in each production? I remember seeing a few shows with my parents. One of the stars I saw was Nancy Kulp who played Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies. It was located on the main floor. As well, there was the Odeon Centre cinema on the lower level and the small mall with such businesses as White Cross Drugs, Mr Big and Tall and Safeway at the far end. The Regina Inn also had a circular ramp leading from the front down into the underground parking garage. Hopefully they do a nice job making it into the DoubleTree by Hilton. I wish they would do something with the exterior of the former mall and Safeway store as, IMO, it is ugly. The one thing I will remember and miss most was the large neon Regina Inn signs (in elegant script) on the east and west facades of the tower. Ah, the days of neon signs.
With regards to neon signs, I [we] hope to once again see the late Plains Hotel's neon weather tower. (Fully restored/functioning.)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 12:26 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Funny, there was also a Polynesian restaurant in the Regina Inn Called the Tiki Room.
The Tiki-Room still lives! Only in skateshop format.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 12:33 AM
Regina SK

I forgot about the Regina Inn signage already! I love neon signage and ghost advertisments, they can really add to a city's character. There are a few gems around still, but nothing that is really that prominent. I bet there are some old neon signs kicking around still, whether it be in storage or someones garage. The Robin Hood sign in Saskatoon is a fav, hope to never see that one go (sorry, Saskatoon talk).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 8:24 AM

This the original "Happiness Is" jingle. (Which was slightly modified for CKCK-TV in about 1970.)

Kinda cute!

http://youtu.be/QeXhMS3ipio

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 3:02 PM

Does anyone remember what year the tennis dome at the Lakeshore mall collapsed. The one and only time I was ever in the Tennis Club was June 1991 and it was down then. Anyone remember? Also anyone have a picture of it?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 8:20 PM

This will jog some memories, and it's skyscraper-related! "I am the Sky", a short film by Tom Davidson, that used time-lapse photography to show cloud formations over Regina. It's at least 30 years old, and they used to show it on CKCK-TV all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV48iWrdjFU

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:20 AM

The Regina Inn brand is RIP???

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
The Regina Inn brand is RIP???
Yup, it's now officially a Double Tree by Hilton.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 12:56 AM

Does anyone remember the name of the pool hall at the corner of Rose & 12th? In here. I can't think of it for the life of me.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the pool hall at the corner of Rose & 12th? In here. I can't think of it for the life of me.
Was it the Broken Rack or the Crooked Cue?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
Was it the Broken Rack or the Crooked Cue?
Broken Rack is the current one at the Golden Mile, and Crooked Cue was above Habanos on Dewdney. CC was also called Sharky's at one point.

Then there was also Boston Billiards on Broad in what is now Urbane EQ3.

But from 1996-1999 ish there was a billiards place in that Stantec building and I'm stumped.

Last edited by Dan0myte; Oct 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:06 PM
arf

I can't remember the name either. Used to play over the lunch hour every now and then when it was open.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan