HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 2:23 AM

I think it is the best interest of the community to require street level retail or other active use in high traffic corridors such as Peachtree. The benefits being aesthetics and just plain old livability.

Midtown is still statistically undeserved by retail and at the same time becoming more densely populated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Is that retail at the bottom of it? Or just a lobby?
I doubt there's any retail in this project but I don't know for sure.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 10:14 AM

this is just a random question, but does anyone know how long atlantic station will be private property? will it ever revert to being public streets managed by the city of atlanta?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
this is just a random question, but does anyone know how long atlantic station will be private property? will it ever revert to being public streets managed by the city of atlanta?
The streets are public, it's just the ones in the retail district that are (and will remain) private.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:10 PM

The private street aspect is very interesting. My favorite private street is the the one from Piedmont (at the Terminus tower site across from the disco Kroger) over to the Buckhead Church . Every now an then - to maintain it as a private street - gates are closed to prevent passage of cars.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
The streets are public, it's just the ones in the retail district that are (and will remain) private.
so there's no date set, it's just as long as they want to own it. i'm just wondering— if one day we can ever get the connector buried, it may well be that 18th street is one day contiguous across the connector along with the other streets in atlantic station, with a re-established grid where the connector currently is. if that happens, i wonder if the private aspect would still come into play ~30 years from now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The private street aspect is very interesting. My favorite private street is the the one from Piedmont (at the Terminus tower site across from the disco Kroger) over to the Buckhead Church . Every now an then - to maintain it as a private street - gates are closed to prevent passage of cars.
I think they close the gates at rush hour but leave them the rest of the day. Probably for fear that they'd be crushed by GA 400/Buckhead Loop cut-throughs if they were open during rush hour.

It's an interesting trade off. Tenants and residents in the Tower place development are guaranteed access but the possibilities for a street grid are foreclosed.

My guess is that the city doesn't always push for public streets, since they then have to maintain them. But I don't really know.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 PM

131 Ponce

Construction progress

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:10 PM

Capitol Parking Garage

From the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Building agency green lights Georgia Capitol complex overhaul (SLIDESHOW)
BY: Dave Williams
11/19/2013

"The Georgia Building Authority has selected an Atlanta design firm to oversee a planned makeover of the state Capitol complex in downtown Atlanta.

Stevens & Wilkinson will be in charge of an estimated $3.3 million plan to tear down an aging parking deck east of the Capitol building and turn it into a plaza large enough to accommodate up to 4,500...

Design work will begin immediately, with demolition scheduled to begin in January...

The project is due to be completed by the end of next year."

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...&ed=2013-11-19

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
so there's no date set, it's just as long as they want to own it. i'm just wondering— if one day we can ever get the connector buried, it may well be that 18th street is one day contiguous across the connector along with the other streets in atlantic station, with a re-established grid where the connector currently is. if that happens, i wonder if the private aspect would still come into play ~30 years from now.
I'm not sure what you mean by "date set." Private streets don't become publically owned after a certain amount of time. To be accepted by the City, they have to be designed to City standards, which those brick sidewalks that rattle when you walk on them most certainly are not. They'd have to rip up and redo them for the City to take them. The City isn't about to accept legal responsibility for and maintenance of a poorly built street.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Construction progress

Yikes! Those are going to be some very noisy units.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 12:17 AM

777 Spring Street

A new image of the development on the Crum & Forster block has surfaced here. I'm wondering if this is a successor to the HPCC project or is it just a (very nice) conceptual rendering. It appears to be 30-35 stories while the HPCC plans are for a 24 story building.

600,000 square foot ARCA (Advanced Research, Computation, and Analytics) building

http://academicvc.com/2013/10/31/hap...y-tech-square/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 11:03 PM

Drove by the Crum and Forster block the other day and it looks like they've demolished the parking lot next to it. I didnt think construction would start anytime soon, has this changed?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:59 PM

As I mentioned in this post, the Business Chronicle had an article just this past week that reports the timetable to build the HPCC is a construction start in 2015. I found it curious that they now say that the HPCC may not even be built on that block but unless they're starting this previously unheard of ARCA building I would say we're still looking at construction in 2015.

Quote:
  • GA Tech HPC - Tech is close to naming project manager but a developer will not be chosen before next fall. Tech would anchor the project which would be designed, financed and built by the developer. But get this, the site with the Crum & Forster building which was just recently partially demolished is called the "most likely" site for the project but other sites will still be considered.

• Hyatt House is moving forward. The 7-story hotel near the aquarium has filed permits to demolish the existing buildings and to develop the site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:47 AM

Masterpiece set for ‘symphony center’ site -- 3 skyscrapers

Quote:
A Manhattan developer wants to build one of Atlanta’s tallest skyscrapers.

A team that includes New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp. and international design firm Arquitectonica is planning a nearly 2 million-square-foot development for Midtown’s long-vacant “symphony center” site at 98 14th Street.

The 4.5-acre site sandwiched between the 50-story One Atlantic Center and the 41-story 1180 Peachtree tower could be under contract, according to real estate sources.

Developers are pitching three towers for the property — one that would soar to 56 stories, including 34 floors of residential and 22 floors of hotel.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...ny-center.html

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 7:11 AM

Info from the DRI pdf file for the proposal.

• 95,500 SF retail
  • 1,350 Apartments
  • 270 Hotel rooms
  • 1,200 parking spaces

Based on the site plan, it actually looks like they are planning two 48-story towers and one 58-story tower. WOW!

http://assets.bizjournals.com/atlant...98%20fixed.pdf

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Info from the DRI pdf file for the proposal.

• 95,500 SF retail
  • 1,350 Apartments
  • 270 Hotel rooms
  • 1,200 parking spaces

Based on the site plan, it actually looks like they are planning two 48-story towers and one 58-story tower. WOW!

http://assets.bizjournals.com/atlant...98%20fixed.pdf
If this comes to fruition it would be amazing for the city / Midtown.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:34 PM

Certainly good news for 14th street to potentially see three new towers go on that lot and I like the plaza connecting all three of them. I love seeing the prospects of more residential too.
According to the linked PDF the expected completion date for this is 2020 so I'm guessing this would be built in phases which will be fun to watch construction on this site for several years. I eagerly await some renderings.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 7:53 PM

This is great news for this area!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

By looking at the rendering I kinda have a feeling the building are gonna look like these with the spiral design...

See what I mean?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
By looking at the rendering I kinda have a feeling the building are gonna look like these with the spiral design...

See what I mean?
I was thinking the same thing! They have roof details shown on all of the surrounding buildings so I believe there is probably some rational to the way they show the roof tops of the proposed structures. What I couldn't see however was any indication of that form in the shadows they are casting.

Speaking of shadows, if you look closely, I think you can get a pretty good idea of how tall these structures will be based on the relative lengths of shadows cast by the surrounding buildings. I'd say the tallest is comparable in height to 1180 next door and that the other 2 are about 100' shorter. If this is going to be phased, I bet they develop the 2 along 14th first and fill in with the other residential tower at a later time..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta