HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalUrbanist View Post
I don't quite get these comments about Taipei being uncosmopolitan. If Taipei were an American city, it would be more cosmopolitan than all American cities save for probably NY, SF, LA. Cosmopolitanism isn't all about having a 37% foreign-born population. It's about being at the crossroads of culture and ideas. If foreign-born ratio or immigrant-share were a good gauge of cosmopolitanism (which it is not) then we'd be forced to put Houston above Tokyo or Seoul. Surely this is not what forumers are implying?

It seems like a weird surrogate, but retail also says a lot about a city's exposure to the world. The fact that Taipeiites (is that what we call them?) are savvy enough to justify standalone A.P.C. and Naim Audio boutiques tells me Taipei is a pretty cosmopolitan city. In the US, only SF, NY, LA have have enough people of discerning taste to justify these. No to mention Taipei's representation in the Michelin Guide as a global culinary capital.

In my experience, Taipeiites are very globally mobile. According to Knight Frank Taipei has the 8th largest UHNWI count in the world, above cities like Zurich, Shanghai, and all US cities not called New York.
Houston is absolutely more cosmopolitan than Tokyo or Seoul. Cosmopolitanism is defined by cultural diversity, not the amount of rich pricks a city has.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions