HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:38 PM

Looks MUCH better than the ASU bubble.

1) Hope UA incorporates a bit more brick to the exterior, so it more closely matches the RJ/Gymnastics facilities.
2) Would be nice if there was an above ground walkway or underground tunnel that connects the Lowell-Stevens facility with the new practice facility for the team...

Otherwise two big thumbs up!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:14 AM

There is a change.org petition going around to try and stop the proposed development at Speedway and Campbell. I've tried to reason with some people in my neighborhood but they really believe if it is built it will be the end of the world.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
There is a change.org petition going around to try and stop the proposed development at Speedway and Campbell. I've tried to reason with some people in my neighborhood but they really believe if it is built it will be the end of the world.
Weird. The response seemed pretty positive back when they had public meetings about it. Good thing change.org petitions mean absolutely nothing in the real world.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:08 PM

Talked to a friend who lives at the apartments on Speedway and Campbell. He said he's moving out this summer since they aren't renewing the lease. Seems that they might start demolition/construction later this year.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

I just saw a post on a Tucson Facebook group mention that Flycatcher on 4th ave is being sold. The buyers want to put a multi story student housing building on the lot.

At what point do we hit over-saturation with student housing projects?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I just saw a post on a Tucson Facebook group mention that Flycatcher on 4th ave is being sold. The buyers want to put a multi story student housing building on the lot.

IDK Tempe has built like 40 of them with more on the way, UofA is a big school it can support quite a few.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post

I thought that this was originally presented as market rate apartments. Looks like that might have been a ploy to avoid issues associated with calling it student housing.
https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2018/02/09/goodbye-flycatcher-hello....

And wasn't the original discussion something like 14-stories? Now it's down to 7.

ED: I may have gotten my 4th Avenue projects mixed up. Is this the one on 4th and 6th, or the one at the lower end of 4th avenue by the underpass?

Last edited by InTheBurbs; Feb 9, 2018 at 8:47 PM. Reason: Updated

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
I thought that this was originally presented as market rate apartments. Looks like that might have been a ploy to avoid issues associated with calling it student housing.
https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2018/02/09/goodbye-flycatcher-hello....

And wasn't the original discussion something like 14-stories? Now it's down to 7.

ED: I may have gotten my 4th Avenue projects mixed up. Is this the one on 4th and 6th, or the one at the lower end of 4th avenue by the underpass?
Different projects. This is at 4th and 6th Street. The other project is at 4th and 9th Street.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:30 PM

"Kennedy and Meyer Townhomes Planned for Downtown's Barrio Historico

"The project would consist of 14 townhome units built on what is currently a group of 5 vacant lots."

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:11 AM

The University Park Hotel is again a Marriott. Good news, IMO.

http://tucson.com/business/hotel-nea...626ef6bc7.html

Wondering if this will have any impact on the dormant Residence Inn project.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post
Talked to a friend who lives at the apartments on Speedway and Campbell. He said he's moving out this summer since they aren't renewing the lease. Seems that they might start demolition/construction later this year.
I drove by there yesterday. There was a huge banner out front that was promoting pre-leasing for 2018-2019. I think you read too much into your friend's situation.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I drove by there yesterday. There was a huge banner out front that was promoting pre-leasing for 2018-2019. I think you read too much into your friend's situation.
I have a friend working on this project. They are still battling the NAs...still pushing to move forward, but not there yet. I won't reiterate some of the comments I was told have been said by neighborhood residents cuz we've heard the same script and playbook over and over, but this project is trying to implement TOD principles and Smart Growth. There is a hotel, a large hospital complex, and one of the largest universities in the country (with multiple "towers") adjacent to the project site. Yet, height is the major issue.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I have a friend working on this project. They are still battling the NAs...still pushing to move forward, but not there yet. I won't reiterate some of the comments I was told have been said by neighborhood residents cuz we've heard the same script and playbook over and over, but this project is trying to implement TOD principles and Smart Growth. There is a hotel, a large hospital complex, and one of the largest universities in the country (with multiple "towers") adjacent to the project site. Yet, height is the major issue.
I hope it gets built and I've always assumed height was the major issue. My post was to simply highlight that the anecdote offered as a sign that the project was imminent was a little premature.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:15 AM

Here's a rendering of the fly catcher apartments. With the three story step down, I actually think that this seems appropriate for the area.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post

Here's a rendering of the fly catcher apartments. With the three story step down, I actually think that this seems appropriate for the area.
I'm a little surprised to say I kind of like it. Maybe a little too "nice" for 4th Ave but much better than I was expecting.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:26 PM

I like it. If they manage to put some red brick into the façade I'm gonna piss myself. That would be a much needed change to some of the structures that have been going up in the downtown area...and to some extent the Main Gate Overlay area.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:31 PM

Looks good to me. The neighborhood response was beyond insane at the City Council meeting last night.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Looks good to me. The neighborhood response was beyond insane at the City Council meeting last night.
Do you know what, if any, power the city council has over this development? If the developers meet all the requirements (which it sounds like they plan to do) what recourse does the council have? This project doesn't need council approval, does it?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:16 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Do you know what, if any, power the city council has over this development? If the developers meet all the requirements (which it sounds like they plan to do) what recourse does the council have? This project doesn't need council approval, does it?
I've been following this issue from Phoenix because it is similar to the "Save Roosevelt Row" anti-development/density movement up here. From what I see on Facebook, it looks like the argument made to the council will be that the project should be disqualified based on insufficient parking:

https://www.facebook.com/events/343003079539844/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I've read the Council has little to no ability to stop the project.

What bothers me most about this is that we haven't seen opposition to the project at 4th and University even remotely similar to what we're seeing here (not that I personally oppose that project at all). I think there are some legitimate concerns about this developer based on the way the District has been managed but the premise of the opposition seems to go deeper than that - this specific parcel, unlike the church, should never be redeveloped (partially because it currently houses a music venue). This sentiment is ludicrous and neighborhood stakeholders would be better served to leverage their ire into getting the developers to make hard commitments to leasing to local businesses.

Another thing I love about these situations is the failure to place any responsibility on the property seller.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest