HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 7:51 PM

Cool progress video. Question, if trains dip underground at Algonquin College, why the need to build a large 2-story structure on top for the station? Isn't the station underground?

Last edited by J.OT13; Jul 7, 2023 at 8:21 PM. Reason: Accidently pressed Edit instead of Quote.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Cool progress video. Question, if trains dip underground at Algonquin College, why the need to build a large 2-story structure on top for the station? Isn't the station underground?
That two storey entrance is to provide a direct connection to Algonquin College via a skywalk.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:52 PM

Three months ago. Don't think it was posted.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That two storey entrance is to provide a direct connection to Algonquin College via a skywalk.
Crazy idea, but maybe if we didn't build such suburban stroads, we'd need fewer 70s-style skywalks?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Crazy idea, but maybe if we didn't build such suburban stroads, we'd need fewer 70s-style skywalks?
In general sure.... but, Algonquin puts it's campus connections on the second story for every building. (Carleton does it through tunnels)

Also, in the short term it allows little to no interruptions for the bus change over below.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
In general sure.... but, Algonquin puts it's campus connections on the second story for every building. (Carleton does it through tunnels)
uOttawa does the same as Algonquin. I guess that Uhuniau must think that Copernicus St must be an even bigger suburban stroad as it has 2 "70s-style skywalks" within 50m of each other.

https://goo.gl/maps/DMBrn4LbS3UNCBYF8

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
uOttawa does the same as Algonquin. I guess that Uhuniau must think that Copernicus St must be an even bigger suburban stroad as it has 2 "70s-style skywalks" within 50m of each other.

https://goo.gl/maps/DMBrn4LbS3UNCBYF8
We can try to fool ourselves all we want but, regardless of the 'stroadness' of the road indoor connections are extremely important in our climate. uOttawa has some underground connections in the science buildings and some above-ground ones in the social science and law buildings (shown above). These connections proved invaluable on cold winter days for getting around campus.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
We can try to fool ourselves all we want but, regardless of the 'stroadness' of the road indoor connections are extremely important in our climate. uOttawa has some underground connections in the science buildings and some above-ground ones in the social science and law buildings (shown above). These connections proved invaluable on cold winter days for getting around campus.
Carleton's tunnel system was greatly appreciated even way back in my days there. These are so valuable for colleges and universities where students have to move from building to building all day long.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Carleton's tunnel system was greatly appreciated even way back in my days there. These are so valuable for colleges and universities where students have to move from building to building all day long.
My Alma mater is UVic and the climate in Victoria is such that being able to get a breath of fresh air between classes was refreshing and would clear your head. However, with the climate here in Ottawa, having the option to stay indoors when changing buildings would be invaluable, regardless of if it making the buildings look dated to the form over function type.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 2:17 AM

Quote:
My Alma mater is UVic and the climate in Victoria is such that being able to get a breath of fresh air between classes was refreshing and would clear your head. However, with the climate here in Ottawa, having the option to stay indoors when changing buildings would be invaluable, regardless of if it making the buildings look dated to the form over function type.
If we all do our part we will have something approaching Victoria's climate in 30-40 years.

Last edited by YOWetal; Aug 3, 2023 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Oh, I still went outside t-shirt and all in the middle of winter in Thunderbay....cause the sun didn't rise before class started and set before they ended....Need that sun somehow.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
If we all do our part we will have something approaching Victoria's climate in 30-40 years.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Lol. That’s not how climate change works. Even if it was, an increase of 1.5 degrees wouldn’t make us like Victoria. We also don’t have an ocean nearby to moderate temperatures, so our summers won’t be cooler (and less humid), like in Victoria.

Last edited by roger1818; Aug 3, 2023 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:35 PM

Never been to Victoria, but if weekly ice storm in the winter is what they have, then we are on our way indeed.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Never been to Victoria, but if weekly ice storm in the winter is what they have, then we are on our way indeed.
Nope, they have 10 months of rain followed by 2 months of drought.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Oh, I do love me some indoor connections. But a lot of the impetus, not just in Ottawa, for building "skywalks", is that we build absolute inhuman shit at ground level.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Nope, they have 10 months of rain followed by 2 months of drought.
To be fair, some years on the island are 10 months of rain followed by two months of also rain.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
To be fair, some years on the island are 10 months of rain followed by two months of also rain.
Victoria is in a rain shadow and gets a lot less rain than Vancouver. It may be grey and damp in winter but not so rainy.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 5:03 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, I do love me some indoor connections. But a lot of the impetus, not just in Ottawa, for building "skywalks", is that we build absolute inhuman shit at ground level.
Ha!.. funny.. I just watched CityNerds video on Minneapolis/St.Paul and he covers some of the skywalk systems they looks like amazing places.

Ottawa is Wish.com in almost every regard. We do have a very robust maintenance and upkeep regime in our city parks though. I'll say that without missing a beat. I love our parks and pathways. I wish the MUPs along the waterways were larger and more built up for the current population but I would like to think that's just a matter of time.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 8:48 PM

Not sure where to put this, but the new pedestrian bridge won't be available for 3 years?

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...an-three-years
Joanne Laucius, Published Aug 08, 2023

'It's a tease': A bridge over the Queensway built in a weekend won't be opening for more than three years

Access to the pedestrian bridge won't be granted until the future Queensview Station opens for services in 2026.

Sarah Sullivan Partridge typically crosses the Pinecrest Road overpass on her bike from her home in Queensview Terrace North a couple of times a week.

Her destination is usually the Pinecrest Mall, the Pinecrest Recreation Complex or College Square. But it’s a far from pleasant trip for both cyclists and pedestrians, Partridge says.

Travelling in either direction, people walking or on bikes need to negotiate two Queensway on- and off-ramps. Motorists don’t have to yield to pedestrians in this case. It’s confusing to both.

On the weekend of July 29-30, the Queensway was shut down between Woodroffe Avenue and Greenbank Road while a pedestrian bridge spanning the highway was built. The bridge is part of the LRT’s Stage 2 west extension, providing a link between Queensview Station, still under construction on the north side of the Queensway, and Baxter Road on the south side.

Members of the public won’t have to pay an OC Transpo fare to access the bridge.

That’s good, says Kathy Vandergrift, president of the Queenview Terrace North Community Association. People on the north side want access to stores and services on the south side. Until now, the only way to get there has been to cross the Pinecrest Road overpass, which was built for vehicular traffic.

The problem for residents? The bridge can’t be accessed until Queensview Station is open to paying transit customers. At this point, that’s anticipated in late 2026.

“Public access to the Queensview pedestrian bridge is tied to revenue service as the northern entrance to the bridge connects to the Queensview Station plaza,” City of Ottawa rail construction program director Michael Morgan said in a prepared statement.

“As a result, access to the bridge will coincide with when the station opens to the public.”

That doesn’t sit well with Vandergrift.

“They tend to treat all of it as one project,” she says. “Could they schedule things progressively? The mindset is that these things have one finish date. It’s all designed from a system perspective.”

Keeping this piece of connective infrastructure closed for more than three more years is ridiculous, says Partridge, who finds it frustrating that a bridge can be built in a weekend, but will take over three years to open.

“There is no obligation to open it, so they won’t. It’s so close and yet so far out of reach. I would use it if it were open today. It’s a tease,” says Partridge, who has been anticipating more excursions with her three children.

Big changes are coming to the neighbourhood in the form of intensification and applications to build condo towers. A secondary plan is to be released this fall.

Plans for Queensview Station include the pedestrian bridge, a station plaza with six passenger pick-up and drop-off spaces and 20 bike parking spaces, with room to double that number.

There will also be a couple of multi-use pathways on the north side, including some east of the new station to Connaught Avenue connected to pathways from Severn and Hanlon avenues as well as a pathway on the west side of the Leon’s furniture store and a sidewalk on the store’s west side.

On the south side of the Queensway, a sidewalk will be built on one side of Baxter Road, with a cycling facility from Iris Street along Baxter Road to the new bridge.

Bike Ottawa supports facilities that allow residents to get around the city without cars, vice-president Dave Robertson says.

“Bringing people across the 417 on this bridge, while avoiding Greenbank Road, which has narrow sidewalks alongside fast-moving car and truck traffic and no cycling facilities, would greatly benefit citizens. It would also connect people to the nearby NCC pathway system,” he says.

Not opening the bridge for another three years is another example of how P3 agreements do not benefit the general public, Robertson says.

“We have also been facing roadblocks from this P3 rail project, where the Trillium pathway near Carling has been blocked off for much of this past year without a safe detour due to construction at Carling Station,” he says.

People in Queensview Terrace North are still dealing with night noise as construction continues, Vandergrift says. Opening the bridge might sweeten attitudes, she adds.

“The public attitude towards any construction project might improve if people could enjoy some of the benefits while they are waiting. Some pieces could be completed early enough so that people could return to a normal life and enjoy some of the benefits.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation