Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

520 West 41 Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe the future holds something better for this parcel.
I doubt anything has changed with this parcel. It sounds like typical NY Daily News "reporting".

Silverstein always said he would get the site rezoned and then he would probably sell. He never said he would actually build. Silverstein had never built a luxury condo tower.

So he got the rezoning, and now he's selling. I bet you a Chinese company buys the site.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 10:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That's the game plan I'm thinking. With the Chinese swarming the tri-state area with capital, a site such as this, possibly with the intention of marketing to Asian buyers would be ideal. With Extell doing the same with other projects, this demographic is a key niche for developers to follow. Ideally something with a big chunk of affordable housing of course.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I doubt anything has changed with this parcel. It sounds like typical NY Daily News "reporting".

Silverstein always said he would get the site rezoned and then he would probably sell. He never said he would actually build. Silverstein had never built a luxury condo tower.

So he got the rezoning, and now he's selling. I bet you a Chinese company buys the site.
I'm confused, isn't the article saying that he is abandoning his effort to rezone the site (through ULURP)? So currently, the the site remains zoned for commercial office? Or did I miss something. Either way, it doesn't preclude something tall or large being built on the site.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Silverstein had never built a luxury condo tower.
Let's not forget 30 Park

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 12:28 PM

... Or 1 West End

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 1:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Site will hit the market.
==============

Silverstein does about-face on mega-tall West Side residential tower

Quote:
Silverstein Properties is backing away from a large West Side development, where it had hoped to raise the tallest residential tower in the city—a spire that would soar over 1,100 feet and include more than 1,400 units of luxury housing and 300,000 square feet of retail space.The company, developer of the World Trade Center, hired CBRE to sell the property, a former Mercedes dealership it acquired earlier this year for about $100 million.

'Not the right time'

“With everything we have going on at the World Trade Center and elsewhere, this just isn’t the right time for us to develop this project,” a Silverstein spokesman said in a statement.

A City Hall spokesman, however, suggested that there had also been difficult negotiations in recent months over how many units of affordable housing Silverstein would have to include in the mega-tower. The developer had initially offered to build fewer affordable apartments than the city required.

“This project would be held to the same mandatory affordable-housing require-ment as every city-backed or private rezoning,” the spokesman said in a statement.

The company, founded by Larry Silverstein (pictured), planned to build about 1.8 million square feet of space on the site. Located at 514 11th Ave., it takes up the full block between West 40th and West 41st streets, and runs from 11th Avenue to a midblock on-ramp to the Lincoln Tunnel.

Because the property is within the Hudson Yards—a predominantly commercial neighborhood—about 1.2 million square feet of the tower was required to be office space.

The developer recently sought allowances from the city to convert the bulk of that office requirement into residential units, insisting that the site was better connected to Hell’s Kitchen, a neighborhood composed of apartment buildings. Just west of the property is Silver Towers, two residential skyscrapers that hold about 1,300 rental units, which Silverstein finished building in recent years.

To receive an allowance from the city to build more residential units, Silverstein initially offered to reserve at least 250,000 square feet for affordable housing. But that figure fell short of the 375,000 square feet the city sought.Spokesmen for both the city and Silverstein said that the two parties eventually agreed that 375,000 square feet of affordable units would be included in the project.

Possible repercussions

“This is a very complex project, and it’s not clear that affordable housing is actually the sticking point,” the city stated.

The deal’s collapse could dampen enthusiasm among other big builders who face affordable-housing quotas in exchange for the right to build residential high-rises on pricey parcels. Silverstein hopes that’s not the case. The company is positioned to profit substantially from a sale at a time when development properties have reached record values. The company believes 514 11th Ave. could fetch up to $500 now.

Sources said the sale will allow Silverstein to focus on other large projects in its pipeline. The developer is in the process of building 3 World Trade Center, a 2.5 million-square-foot office tower that will be anchored by GroupM. Silverstein is also trying to finalize a deal to build 2 World Trade Center, a 2.8 million-square-foot tower designed by star architect Bjarke Ingels and anchored by 21st Century Fox and News Corp.
==============================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...idential-tower

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:39 PM

Too bad we wont get a mega-tall on THIS site.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
A supertall bites the dust ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2401927

The developer of the World Trade Center has backed away from plans to build the city’s tallest residential tower on Manhattan’s West Side, Crains reported Sunday.

“With everything we have going on at the World Trade Center and elsewhere, this just isn’t the right time for us to develop this project,” a Silverstein spokesman said in a statement to Crains.

Silverstein Properties, best known for developing the World Trade Center, plans to sell the property, the magazine reported.

I wouldn't shed any tears for this one just yet. The only thing that looks to be happening is Silverstein selling the property (which should probably be snapped up within a few months).

A tower is still going to be built here, whether or not the application for the zoning approval is withdrawn in favor of a new process.

Look for another developer to come in. Related, Extell, or any of the other many developers who have been shut out of the Hudson Yards.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:51 PM

Last edited by Cynicism; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
On a side note, I was shocked at the rampant homelessness at the Port Bus terminal a few blocks to the east. It always smells like piss and feces (what these folks leave behind) right a the world's #1 tourist area and at the heart of Midtown. Embarrassing to say the least. Let's not forget about our subways that tourists and New Yorkers use everyday -- decaying everyday with no end in sight to it.

Anyhow, will would-be tenants of this building be able to handle aggressive panhandlers, odd odors, and the downright scary atmosphere of the bus terminal every day??
I use the Port Authority bus terminal quite a bit. And I can tell you that statement is not accurate. You can see homeless people, but you can see them everywhere in Manhattan.

As far as would be residents of this building, and the "scary" atmosphere (as if people in New York wouldn't be able to handle panhandlers), you need look no further than all of the new residential towers going up and opening in the area.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:30 PM

Silverstein won’t sell 514 Eleventh Avenue

Ariel Stulberg
October 28, 2015

Quote:
Larry Silverstein says he will move forward with development plans at 514 Eleventh Avenue, contrary to previous reports.

The developer, who is planning to build a 1.8 million-square-foot residential building at the site, was said to be looking to sell over city demands that the building include 375,000 square feet of affordable housing, and not the 250,000 square feet that Silverstein had offered.

“The paper was 100 percent wrong,” Silverstein told the New York Post. “We’ve got about $10 billion worth of construction underway and it’s too much. So I said if you get a good price for it, sell it. And if you can’t, put it on the shelf and wait until we finish what else we are doing.”

When asked what constitutes a good price, the developer grinned and walked away, the Post reported.

The planned tower will stand over 1,100 feet and be home to 1,400 luxury housing units. It will also have 300,000 square feet of retail space.

Silverstein bought the site, a former Mercedes dealership, for around $100 million earlier this year.

- See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/10/....GgN5oco6.dpuf

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:34 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That's a bit of a relief.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Oh okay. Can't complain.

Happy the monolith is back on.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:41 PM

Whoa, whip lash! This is good news.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:26 PM
Mr. Technology

I will celebrate when there is something to celebrate.
Right now, we are just waiting for the right opportunity to come along (and it quite possibly could happen by New Year's).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Either way it would be reason to celebrate. This tower already was off to the future a little, but now Silverstein seems to want to finish the WTC first. If another developer comes along, which is very possible, we would likely see development sooner, especially with Silverstein getting the heavy lifting out of the way (approvals).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
Silverstein won’t sell 514 Eleventh Avenue

Ariel Stulberg
October 28, 2015
Good news : I wish to see built this 106 floors tower !!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 12:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

lots of action on this site

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 3:38 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That site will be cleared whether or not Silverstein moves forward now or later. It will be attractive to potention buyers if Silverstein can't or won't move forward with his project for a while.

But Silverstein may try to hold on to the site...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/11/...ttan-holdings/

Larry Silverstein: I wish I’d never sold any of my Manhattan holdings

November 07, 2015
By The Real Deal

Quote:
If Larry Silverstein could go back in time, he’d keep all of his Manhattan holdings off the block.

“Every time I’ve sold anything – and I’ve only sold at very high prices – five years later, I’ve thrown my hands up and said, ‘I’ve done a dumb thing,’” the developer said Wednesday, speaking at a Corcoran Sunshine event at the sales office for his latest condo project, 30 Park Place. “I always tell my kids, ‘When I’m no longer here, remember one thing: Don’t sell!’”...
-

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:52 AM

There is concrete platform on the site with live train tracks below that will not be demolished.

Old graffiti.

Last edited by ILNY; Nov 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals