HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 11:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Camera purchase advice (aka, can't make up my mind! Please help!)

Hello SSP friends - need some advice from more seasoned camera users (more so than myself), professional and amateurs alike.

I've saved and saved and feel comfortable in my desire to move up from my entry-level Canon DSLR (which I love), as I need something that can shoot video in addition to still photography. I've developed a taste for short films and from what I've seen online I think it possible to achieve a very fantastic filmic 'tone', especially in post-production, using Canon DSLRs.

I've finally, FINALLY narrowed down my decision to two choices:
- the new Canon 70D
- the 'benchmark' Canon 5D Mark III

Money is a bit of a concern, but frankly, if the 5D is the way to go, then I'll just pull the trigger. The reason I can't decide is that I have been reading rave reviews about the 70D and all of it's new features.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 1:40 AM
3rd Coast King

Well the 5d III is the shit, but do you need that much camera? Plus full frame lenses are no cheap affair. That thing needs L glass or your just treating it wrong. The 70d would be a good camera in most respects and a lot more cost friendly if you need to collect lenses still. I would go sony. Sony is good and you get more bang for your buck. For what the 5d cost like $3300 where you could get the a99 for $2700 leaving money for a lens.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 1:13 PM
恭喜发财!

To be honest, I don't see much in the 70D to make it worth buying over the 7D. I'd say the 7D's tank-like construction is a bigger draw to me than any of the fancy bells and whistles that the 70D offers. At this stage, it's probably cheaper to get a 7D than a 70D too, considering how long the 7D has been on the market for. And with the money you'd save over buying a 5DIII, you could buy at least one really good lens for it, and probably 2.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 1:13 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Wouldn't go Sony, would only stick with Nikon or Canon.

Go with the 70D, or even go with a 60D and save the money for good / more glass!

Flickr®

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 1:14 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Wouldn't go Sony, would only stick with Nikon or Canon.

Go with the 70D, or even go with a 60D and save the money for good / more glass!
Why no go on Sony? Thats what I use and its been good to me. They have these bad boys coming out soon too...

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/14/firs...urface-online/

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Oct 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 1:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Well, thanks anyway

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Why no go on Sony? Thats what I use and its been good to me. They have these bad boys coming out soon too...

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/14/firs...urface-online/
Nikon & Canon have a lot more experience and history with lenses and optics than Sony / Minolta and produce superior lenses. They are both almost 100% dedicated camera / imaging companies (yeah, Canon does some printers too..). The used market for lenses is also bigger too.

Flickr®

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:58 AM
Ex Houstonian

Nikon is the best way to go.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 2:52 PM

I think the Sony cameras are excellent.

But the reason to go Canon or Nikon is that the initial investment locks you into a camera system. You will definitely want to upgrade over time. Canon and Nikon have by far the most lenses and accessories available, plus a huge used market. You can easily sell your Nikon or Canon lenses, and many are worth almost as much used as they are new (kit lenses excepted). Nikon especially, there are lenses from the 1980s that still work with the latest camera.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I think the Sony cameras are excellent.

But the reason to go Canon or Nikon is that the initial investment locks you into a camera system. You will definitely want to upgrade over time. Canon and Nikon have by far the most lenses and accessories available, plus a huge used market. You can easily sell your Nikon or Canon lenses, and many are worth almost as much used as they are new (kit lenses excepted). Nikon especially, there are lenses from the 1980s that still work with the latest camera.
Glad to see someone not hating on Sony.

My Book

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I got the Canon 70D (kit with the 18-135mm lens)...squeee!!! I got a really good, pre-Black Friday BS deal on it and I had them throw in a 32GB memory card for free!

Opening box up shortly; I think this is what I need for now; planning a documentary and this is probably the best camera for what I'm hoping to do (video-wise).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography