HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Ion Austin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:43 AM
Meh

The site plan was approved and released recently with the updated elevations (file 009).

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11115809

The new elevations show it from the east and west. They don't show the cantilevered section that was shown in the previous elevations.

One other note, there is a slight increase in height of just 3 feet. The heights now, as measured, show it to be 192 feet, 2 & 9/16th inches. The previous elevations didn't indicate the "box" mechanical penthouse on the roof - it wasn't there at all - so that increased the height slightly. The previous elevations also didn't indicate very well what the ground elevation was. They were sort of vague. There was no change in the number of floors, but I did notice a slight reduction in the 19th floor height of 2 feet. It seems they did a slight design change with the base, which may be the reason they removed the cantilever columns. They also reduced the number of parking levels from 4 1/2 to 2 1/2.

At 192 feet tall that puts University House above 2400 Nueces to become the 5th tallest in West Campus.

Dobie Center - 307 feet - 29 floors
21Rio - 236 feet - 21 floors
The Castilian - 205 feet - 17 floors
Callaway House - 205 feet - 17 floors
University House - 192 feet - 19 floors
2400 Nueces - 181 feet - 16 floors

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Oct 15, 2014 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:00 PM

Construction has started on this one.

I took a drive by shot.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 8:50 PM
Meh

Tower crane permit. The spreadsheet plan says the crane will be 273 feet.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...rane_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:57 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:03 AM
Meh

Nice. It's a decent looking building.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:33 AM

I feel the same way.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 10:53 AM

I would say that is the best looking building in West Campus. But 2400 Nueces is a close competitor IMO.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 7:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. It's a decent looking building.
OK, now I see how it is. We just have different taste. I find this rendering atrocious, but that's what I thought about the Marriott. Although, even though I like the look of that building, I really dislike that wall effect and I wish we weren't getting ANY of those, let alone a dozen (or so) of them in a short span of a few years. It's going to be Austin's signature look, flat wide buildings ranging in height from 300 to 450 feet.

But I'm not a fan of almost anything that has been built for UT students. I love that they're building up, so anything is better than not doing that, but it all looks cheap and student-ghetto to me.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:46 AM
Meh

This is Rhode Partner's, though. They're the ones doing the Catherine, Seven, Aspen Heights and the Gables Park Tower. They're also designing the new 50+ story tower at the Austin Energy Control Center site. They do good work.

http://www.rhodepartners.com/#architecture

I like building designs that pay attention to detail. Things like interesting facade features, windows, balconies and other little things that add to its uniqueness. And how it meets the street and how the base compares to the rest of the building. I also pay attention a lot to how they finish a building's top. It's the reason I'm not crazy about Ashton and the Four Seasons Residences. The facade is so-so on Ashton, and the roof of Four Seasons has to be one of the ugliest of all the new buildings in Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:42 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for elaborating. By calling attention to what you like, it helped me like it more as well.

A somewhat related anecdote: I used to see all "fields" as being monotonous and boring. Then I got my botany degree, and in the process I did a field study of an acre of grassland in Sonoma County (CA), documenting over 160 species of small plants. I began to see the variation in hues and textures, the lines and splotches, the growth habits of the dominant species, etc. Now, grasslands are among my favorite landscapes.

Similarly, I think I can gain an appreciation for the look of more architecture if I educate my eyes to discern the elements that comprise the overall look that I currently react to without really seeing what the designer is conveying.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 10:29 PM

Today by me:

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
...A somewhat related anecdote: I used to see all "fields" as being monotonous and boring. Then I got my botany degree, and in the process I did a field study of an acre of grassland in Sonoma County (CA), documenting over 160 species of small plants. I began to see the variation in hues and textures, the lines and splotches, the growth habits of the dominant species, etc. Now, grasslands are among my favorite landscapes...
This is an excellent comment that includes an important truth: almost anything is potentially interesting when viewed at an appropriate level of detail. Just because it doesn't grab your attention sufficiently to make the detail visible to you doesn't mean it isn't there. I think all Bruckner symphonies sound the same (and find them pretty much equally boring) while recognizing that a Bruckner scholar would laugh at the suggestion.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalkan View Post
This is an excellent comment that includes an important truth: almost anything is potentially interesting when viewed at an appropriate level of detail. Just because it doesn't grab your attention sufficiently to make the detail visible to you doesn't mean it isn't there. I think all Bruckner symphonies sound the same (and find them pretty much equally boring) while recognizing that a Bruckner scholar would laugh at the suggestion.
I appreciative of your thoughtfull comment... about another thoughtful comment. We could use more of these....
thank you .

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalkan View Post
...almost anything is potentially interesting when viewed at an appropriate level of detail.
Nice. This reminds me also of my initial feelings about central Texas. When you drive through Texas on freeways, you can't get a sense of the detail that appears when you get on the back roads, and if you get out of your car and get onto a trail then it becomes even more apparent. Texas is not as picturesque as most states, but the beauty that can be found in the textures and patterns of the seemingly monotonous hill country, blackland prairie, post oak savannah, and cross timbers ecoregions, make it among the most beautiful places in America that I can imagine choosing as a home.

It's all surprisingly hospitable and you can feel pretty cozy in spite of the vast flat horizon that shows up if you get a bit of elevation relative to your surroundings. But when you're ensconced in the embrace of these landscapes, they have a subtle and complex beauty that is spacious enough to highlight the features of each element. I see more fractals in these Texas landscapes than I do in almost any other place that I've visited.

Oh good grief, how far off topic is this? I can't even think of a way to tie it back into the main subject of the thread.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:22 AM

1/17

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:49 PM
Meh

The American-Statesman and the Business Journal each did an article on it.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...west-ca/njr8y/
Quote:
20-story student housing tower planned for West Campus

4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2015 | Filed in: Business

A 20-story residential tower is on its way to West Campus.

The high-rise, which will be known as University House, is the latest in a long line of student housing projects to break ground near the University of Texas since the city revised zoning in the area several years ago.
-

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ks-ground.html
Quote:
High-rise student housing project breaks ground in West Campus
Jan 20, 2015, 2:44pm CST

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Dallas-based Inland American Communities is building its first Austin project — a 20-story project on the site of the former University Lutheran Student Center at 21st and San Antonio streets.

University House will strictly cater to students and includes 6,000 square feet of ground level retail that will be leased by the new University Lutheran Student Center. The religious-based organization first built on the site in 1971.

University House at the University of Texas Austin is expected to be completed by the start of fall semester 2016. Pre-leasing will begin this summer. The project includes 188 apartments consisting of 504 beds.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 20, 2015 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 10:38 PM

The tower crane is going up in two weekends (02/27-03/01) according to this filing:
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11293883

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 8:55 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 7:43 PM

The crane was scheduled to go up sometime today through Sunday. Has anybody noticed if its happening - or better yet have a drive by shot?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The crane was scheduled to go up sometime today through Sunday. Has anybody noticed if its happening - or better yet have a drive by shot?
Drove by the site today, no crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin