HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 7:15 AM

Although, this image doesn't show what kind of streetscape or redevelopment might take place in the current Statesman lot.

After demolition of the building, hopefully they would apply a street grid to the lot and build a bridge crossing Lady Bird Lake to Brazos. They can't connect it to San Jacinto because the Four Seasons Hotel is blocking it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 7:43 AM
Meh

Yeah, they'd have to either build the bridge at Brazos or Trinity. I don't know why I said San Jacinto. Brazos would be the more convenient route for pedestrians who otherwise would have walked across the Congress bridge. But having it at Trinity might be less unslightly since it would be farther from the Congress bridge. A pedestrian bridge near there could also have the use of allowing hotel guests from the Marriott and Fairmont hotels, and other convention center guests, venture across the river to explore a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic
Although, this image doesn't show what kind of streetscape or redevelopment might take place in the current Statesman lot.
If you look at the PDF link, it shows what they might do at the Statesman site. One idea they had was to have a sort of terraced hill for outdoor events where people could sit maybe for festivals/music. That would be nearest to the water. Closer to the street there would likely be retail with other uses above. I have to wonder, though, would live music at that location disturb the bats? We really should consider preserving their roost. They do bring about a million visitors a year to Austin, and that's good for the economy. With that many people there already, the City should take advantage of that and do something there that brings those tourists to whatever development happens here and let them spend money. Besides, having another outdoor seating festival type area seems redundant since we already have Auditorium Shores.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:36 PM

How about a bridge into Bierce St to connect soco and Rainey? That would seem to be a perfect match.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:40 PM
Time to musk up

that is an awesome, awesome idea! hope it comes to fruition!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 10:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillehorn View Post
How about a bridge into Bierce St to connect soco and Rainey? That would seem to be a perfect match.
Since the bridge would carry buses and lightrail it would need a fairly wide street. The streets in that area around Rainey Street are way too narrow for that. Rainey Street doesn't even have sidewalks, and there's only parallel street parking. Adding buses and lightrail to the mix would only make it worse.

And check it out, my 30,000th post!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 2:18 AM

I like the concept (besides rigid height maximums) as well as the focus on walk scores. However, I question the need to put a median into the roads. Wider roads always hinder walkability; Michigan Ave is somewhat of a red herring and IMO it's width actually reduces walkability.

At least the parking minimums seem sane though I still wish they were lower...(this, more than anything, would drive walkability by driving actual walkers who would then create demand for sidewalk retail and food).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 4:55 PM

^agreed, now tie it in to the east riversdie via things such as rail and make sure it has great connectivity to the river (which this original conceptual plan has) and we are talking about a huge bump to our central core.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, they'd have to either build the bridge at Brazos or Trinity. I don't know why I said San Jacinto. Brazos would be the more convenient route for pedestrians who otherwise would have walked across the Congress bridge. But having it at Trinity might be less unslightly since it would be farther from the Congress bridge. A pedestrian bridge near there could also have the use of allowing hotel guests from the Marriott and Fairmont hotels, and other convention center guests, venture across the river to explore a little.
If there's going to be another bridge it's likely going to be on Trinity Street, and most likely as part of urban rail. This would make the most sense in terms of coordinating South Shore development and mobility.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 3:14 PM

Wish we'd land a MLB team and raze the Statesman or Hyatt sites for a purty little stadium.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
Wish we'd land a MLB team and raze the Statesman or Hyatt sites for a purty little stadium.
Wouldn't fit there. There are also much better spots for a major league stadium. Out on 7th near 183 where we can raze a bunch of that industrial land is a good place.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:10 AM
Rundberg & I35

Half the stadiums in MLB are built on a handful of downtown blocks. The Statesmen site would be excessive if anything.

I always thought the South Shore would be a great place for a baseball stadium. Auditorium Shores used to have a baseball stadium actually.

Another good spot would be to piece together a few blocks around 9th and Trinity. You would have good proximity to the 6th Street/Entertainment District and the all the parking around the Capitol.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Half the stadiums in MLB are built on a handful of downtown blocks. The Statesmen site would be excessive if anything.

I always thought the South Shore would be a great place for a baseball stadium. Auditorium Shores used to have a baseball stadium actually.

Another good spot would be to piece together a few blocks around 9th and Trinity. You would have good proximity to the 6th Street/Entertainment District and the all the parking around the Capitol.
Admittedly, I was thinking more football stadium than baseball.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:22 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Wouldn't fit there. There are also much better spots for a major league stadium. Out on 7th near 183 where we can raze a bunch of that industrial land is a good place.
Yeah, that's a decent spot. You could have good flow from 183 and even 130. I wouldn't want to imagine what the traffic would be like if there was a sports stadium at the Statesman site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet
Yeah, the Austin Senators I believe. It wasn't exactly at Auditorium Shores. It occupied the land where Butler Park is now, formerly where the City Coliseum was.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 6:54 AM
~Hook'em~

Wonder what Jeff Jack would have to say about a MLB stadium in 78704. Personally I am happy not having any pro-sports in Austin, but just to see him flip out would be worth it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:29 PM

really.... really.... staduim chatter again?
No thank you. or rather.... Oh Hell no!
Just what we need is a big lump in the middle of downtown. That shit is built to save empty downtowns.
THe last time this came up the best suggestion was to build all that crap in San Marcos and draw from two metro areas....

UT is enough really.
Please go to more UT games.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:56 PM

If there was a stadium for a professional sports team in Austin, I'd say build it by the race track. It's a moot topic anyways. There won't be a pro sports team in Austin for a very long time. All major sports leagues in the US (except soccer) need some contraction. Especially baseball and hockey.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:43 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderlychaos View Post
If there was a stadium for a professional sports team in Austin, I'd say build it by the race track. It's a moot topic anyways. There won't be a pro sports team in Austin for a very long time. All major sports leagues in the US (except soccer) need some contraction. Especially baseball and hockey.
Funny you should mention that because there are rumors floating around about what might be built in the future by the track and a soccer stadium is one.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 1:25 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...ject-at/nSg9j/
Quote:
Posted: 7:07 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012
Council OKs zoning change for apartment project at RunTex site

Despite some opposition, city leaders Thursday gave the green light for a zoning change that will allow a developer to build a six-story apartment project near Lady Bird Lake, on a site that’s now home to a RunTex store.

Alliance Residential plans about 220 luxury apartments on the 1.53-acre site, just south of downtown. The company expects to break ground in the spring.

The project would include retail space, a public plaza and two levels of underground parking. Michael Whellan, attorney for Alliance Residential, said the retail space could accommodate RunTex or a similar store.

The developer plans a building that will be about 79 feet in height.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:38 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Do y'all think the city purchasing the Joe's Crab Shack site could have anything to do with this? That area isn't included in the drawing of the proposed redesigned streets, but it's only a block or so east of there.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Do y'all think the city purchasing the Joe's Crab Shack site could have anything to do with this? That area isn't included in the drawing of the proposed redesigned streets, but it's only a block or so east of there.
The city ended up not purchasing the site.

City of Austin deal to buy Joe's Crab Shack site is dead
By Shonda Novak
Austin - American Statesman
August 24, 2012

Joe's Crab Shack site back on market
By Shonda Novak
Austin American-Statesman
September 14, 2012

Re: Broadstone on the Lake (The apartment complex on the old RunTex site)

I inadvertently posted about this on the Austin update thread, but probably better to post in this one.

I found the site plans on the city's website here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin