HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:25 PM
Member since 2001

QUICK POLL...

Who on this forum would actually...and regularly...use this new library? With all the information at our fingertips already, why do we need to spend millions on a "central library?"

Isn't the internet the "library" of the 21st Century and beyond?

Just curious as this was mentioned several years back and now that the thing is coming out of the ground, I was wondering if sentiment was the same?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
QUICK POLL...

Who on this forum would actually...and regularly...use this new library? With all the information at our fingertips already, why do we need to spend millions on a "central library?"

Just curious as this was mentioned several years back and now that the thing is coming out of the ground, I was wondering if sentiment was the same?
I will never use it. I haven't been to a library in many red moons.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
QUICK POLL...

I'll definitely use it, no question. Most of the books I'm interested in are at the Faulk branch and will be transferred but aren't available as an e-book, and it wouldn't be logical to buy them because I only have finite space in my home and my interest in the geopolitical situation in Turkmenistan is not a high enough priority to warrant me owning the book. It's a lot closer to me than Faulk and honestly that's the biggest barrier in me not using the current central library.

I also think this library will be a significant destination with the café and bookstore. There'll be good transit links and parking which, while not applicable to me, is definitely going to be a draw, and I love how the parking is below ground.

Last edited by Digatisdi; Oct 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:07 AM

I may use it. It's nice to just sit and read sometimes. But really that's moot because I'm not an academic. Academics (and entrepreneurs) doing research are greatly-served by libraries. I really dislike the anti-libraries sentiment I've been seeing of late. People don't realize how useful they are to many people. Not only those I've already mentioned but also children and people who need to use their computers. This library will have 3-D printers and all the latest technology. They are a staple of civil society. We'd be intellectually and culturally poorer without one. Here is a list of services they offer.

Not only that, but there's meeting rooms, so there are going to be speakings, gatherings, and seminars held there, likely during SXSW. So lots of people who didn't think they'd be going to the library will be going to the library.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:07 AM
Meh

Well...I don't live downtown, so I'd probably use it less than someone who does live downtown. I use my local branch library at least once or twice a month, and sometimes more often. I check out movies there and books of course. When our computer was on the fritz three years ago, I was visiting the library for the internet everyday.

Also, there are some books you cannot check out, mostly reference ones or rare ones. You can only use them in the library. Plus, libraries serve as great study spots. For some people with roommates or kids, a nice quite library is sometimes their only option for studying.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
QUICK POLL...

I'll use it, especially if I get my masters at UT.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:26 AM

I'll use it. I think it's going to turn out to be a gathering spot and destination for many interesting and varied activities. Plus, I still like holding a book and why buy when you can borrow...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
I'll use it. I think it's going to turn out to be a gathering spot and destination for many interesting and varied activities. Plus, I still like holding a book and why buy when you can borrow...
You did buy the book. The $120 million came from higher property taxes and rents. With that said I support the library because it's more than just a library.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:29 AM
Love Austin

There are a lot of posts here so this was probably already noted but with the closing of the Children's Museum, Downtown is truly lacking when it comes to kiddo friendly places. This building will help fill that void.

I miss seeing the kids lining up on 2nd street barely paying attention to what was being said because their heads were craned back to view the tops of the buildings.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:00 PM

I historically haven't lived very close to a library, so haven't developed a strong habit of going. But since this one will be three blocks away, I absolutely intend to use it as an alternative venue to work and read.

As an aside, I don't get the argument that the Internet renders libraries obsolete. Yes, lots of general information is available for free, but many useful periodicals are behind paywalls, and much quality fiction and nonfiction has no electronic counterpart even for a fee.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:51 AM
Meh

We started going back to our local branch after years of not going because our computer went out on us, and it was obsolete, so not worth fixing. So we ended up going to the library nearly every day for a year straight. During that time we also started checking out movies there. I've also gotten back into reading, and I'm enjoying it. I mostly like the classic science-fiction novels.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:37 AM

Today.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:59 AM

So we're finally on the second level above the street?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 PM
Honored Member

I will definitely spend time at the new library, though certainly not for the traditional reason of borrowing books. I've been excited by this library design and its many functions from the very beginning. Austin lacks great public spaces, the kind of place where you're inspired by what people have created above and beyond consumer utility. We're too focused on making sure that every moment of our time and every dollar spent is for materialistic gain, and this is crushing our overall quality of life. I welcome public expenditures on beautiful projects like the fantastic new boardwalk. This library will make Austin proud for many years, and it will stand out as something unique in our city.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:16 AM

I was hoping the prospect of a new central library would have triggered an in-depth conversation of how do libraries fit into the digital age but that never happened.

I may go once in a while to browse unusual/expensive periodicals I would never subscribe to. If they have a meeting room big enough for 100 people our city dept. might look into this.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I was hoping the prospect of a new central library would have triggered an in-depth conversation of how do libraries fit into the digital age but that never happened.

I may go once in a while to browse unusual/expensive periodicals I would never subscribe to. If they have a meeting room big enough for 100 people our city dept. might look into this.
I guess you missed the sessions held with the 'Library Futurist'

What is a "library for the future"?

Flexible & Blended Spaces
Focus on electronic delivery of information
State-of-the-art technologies
Community gathering place promoting a mixture of lively and contemplative spaces
Collections displayed to encourage discovery

- See more at: http://library.austintexas.gov/new-c....4vgQrgzc.dpuf

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 7:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Something I didn't mention in my previous comment is that I think we must always maintain our connection to the non-digital, non-grid-dependent technologies and resources of the past. There are a number of ways in which the grid could be brought down, so it's best not to take digital media for granted as though they're not sensitive to a world of contingencies.

It has already been stated that Austin's new library is being designed as a library of the future and as such it will offer a lot of digital media, but in the event that the highly vulnerable infrastructure of the digital age goes down, we will be thankful that they didn't forget the book in its primitive physical form.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 7:59 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I have no desire or interest in this library. I may end up checking it out eventually. Either to just check out the building itself, or to research old news/records for family history.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 2:36 AM

Today.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 12:06 AM

12/27

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin