HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 3:51 AM

Nice picture, Photogeric

That's a photogenic building.

I am wondering though, is that a wood building going up on the right side of the picture? It looks like the building is half wood? Or just a brown painted metal?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:21 AM

I've been staring at this for 10 minutes trying to work out the answer to your question, and I'm stumped. The primary structural frame is concrete, and they're using non-structural steel studs for the exterior wall buildup on the left side. I have no idea what's going on at the right side. There's even a chamfer at the corner that doesn't occur in elevation. If anyone knows the answer, or has a close up photo, I'd love to be able to work out what's going on there.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 6:36 AM

Could it just be temporary doorways for the construction elevators?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 8:45 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
Could it just be temporary doorways for the construction elevators?
Thats kind of what I'm thinking. Its the same building, and there is some sort of structural tower attached right outside of it. A double elevator for construction makes sense to me.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:44 PM

13 floors

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 7:11 PM

Two recent articles about Hassalo on 8th:

Quote:
Hassalo on 8th project draws international eyes
Sep 26, 2014, 10:55am PDT

A huge development that’s transforming part of the inner eastside into one of the city’s newest eco-districts has garnered some interest from overseas.

Hassalo on Eighth, the 1.2 million-square-foot mixed-use, multi-block development in the Lloyd District, was a big stop last week for representatives from Empresas Públicas de Medellín, a large public utility from the Columbian city of Medellín. In town also for BEST FEST, the two representatives from EPM met with the Hasslao team to talk about the project’s approach to district cooling and other sustainability features.

“There really is expertise that exists in Portland in these areas,” said Michael Gurton, international business development officer for the Portland Development Commission.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

Quote:
Developers Build Luxury, Bike-Friendly Buildings

By CANDACE JACKSON
Sept. 25, 2014 11:57 a.m. ET

A bike valet will offer tuneups and tire changes to spandex-clad commuters and residents at Hassalo on Eighth, a multiuse residential and office complex in Portland, Ore., expected to be completed next year. At the new Vélo North Loop, a high-end rental building in Minneapolis, tenants can use the "bike kitchen"—a bicycle repair area with tire pumps and spare chain links, as well as a bike wash. A shop with trail maps and energy bars is in the works. The Cliffs, a series of golf-resort communities in North and South Carolina, has enlisted a 17-time Tour de France rider to offer group rides for homeowners and potential buyers through the surrounding countryside of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The rising popularity of cycling is driving a new type of housing: the luxury, bike-friendly development.

As cities, suburbs and rural communities race to add bike-share programs and lanes and trails for cyclists, developers and home builders are rolling out amenities designed to woo more bike riders and stand out from the competition. And by bulking up on bike-friendly amenities, developers can go after both ends of the demographic spectrum—20- and 30-somethings who want to live closer to work as well as older baby boomers looking for a more walkable, bike-able lifestyle.
...continues at the Wall Street Journal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:23 AM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:28 PM

16 floors already! Only 5 left now, and they are already installing windows.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:41 PM

Hassalo on 8th has a website, which is new since last time I looked for one. Not much to be found on it yet.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:30 AM
A before E

This new tower is definitely making an impact in the Lloyd District skyline.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:19 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

What's the ETA on completion of this whole project? I'm really excited by how it's changing the Lloyd.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
What's the ETA on completion of this whole project? I'm really excited by how it's changing the Lloyd.
I really, really hope we start to see more Pearl-like development in the Lloyd district. It's so unloved and so central and so connected!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:32 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
I really, really hope we start to see more Pearl-like development in the Lloyd district. It's so unloved and so central and so connected!
I agree. My hope - everyone's hope, really - is that this huge project will be a catalyst.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
September 2015, according to this tweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Totally agree. The Pearl is a huge urban design success, which doesn't get enough credit even within Portland. GBD Architects and American Assets Trust appear to be doing everything right to repeat that success in the Lloyd District. (The Convention Center Hotel, on the other hand, is looking less and less promising).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
(The Convention Center Hotel, on the other hand, is looking less and less promising).
I really feel like there needs to be a shake up of some kind with that project! Why the damn garage, why?! Why the windswept plazas -_-

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:57 AM

American Assets Trust owns a lot of property in the area and seems to have made a decision to start redeveloping it wholesale. I spoke with an architect involved in the project and they said it was a very conscious decision to create a catalytic project that would redefine the area and set the tone for future projects - 700 apartment and a grocery store will alter Lloyd forever. It already feels so different walking around that site. There already were so many large buildings that just by filling in a few holes it creates a far more urban space. I hope the boom lasts long enough for a couple more parking lots to be replaced and maybe a drive through or two.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 8:29 PM

I read somewhere that AAT plans on redeveloping the rest of their property once Phase I (Hassalo on 8th) is finished, dependent on that being a financial success. Phase II would be the Oregon Square superblock south of Holladay. I have no insider information, but I would be surprised if GBD weren't already working on schematic designs for Phase II.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 8:52 PM

North is the problem, with a huge expanse of parking lots. That little park south of holliday is a nice little asset.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I read somewhere that AAT plans on redeveloping the rest of their property once Phase I (Hassalo on 8th) is finished, dependent on that being a financial success. Phase II would be the Oregon Square superblock south of Holladay. I have no insider information, but I would be surprised if GBD weren't already working on schematic designs for Phase II.
that is my understanding as well, but I had heard nothing about which super(duper)block comes next. I believe that GBD has done master planning for all of the properties, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they've already completed schematic design on whatever development comes next.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
that is my understanding as well, but I had heard nothing about which super(duper)block comes next. I believe that GBD has done master planning for all of the properties, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they've already completed schematic design on whatever development comes next.
I have worked with AAT and can confirm that Oregon Square is their next planned development.

Expect news on this late spring/early summer 2015.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland