HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 7:15 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Yup, this is a huge problem. Developers and land lords keep thinking downtown/midtown warrants huge rent and high-end lofts, etc. But they're really doing a disservice to the big picture. The problem is there's not enough mid-income housing in the urban core. Why pay $1600 a month for a small one-bedroom apartment in midtown when the same could rent you a 2 or 3 bedroom house in East Sac or Land Park? Especially for couples/families? Developers and the city tend to think the only people who want to live downtown are single, young professionals with lots of money. That's a draw, but that's not all we should build for.
Actually, at least so far, the developers building higher-end housing have had no problem filling them. Legado de Ravel, with units starting at $1600 and going above $2000 per month, filled within a couple months of opening. 16 Powerhouse, with rents ranging from about $2000 to $3200, already has a waiting list and it isn't even finished yet. So there is an existing, not yet exhausted market for high-end rental housing. Typically these higher-end units are very well appointed, and the more expensive ones are as big as 1000-1500 square feet--which is as big as many homes in Midtown or East Sacramento! They're also about the same size as the limited number of for-sale infill homes that are cropping up, which sell for $300-500K. It's all about location, proximity, and a neighborhood of choice.

They pay that price for an apartment in Midtown because East Sacramento or Land Park don't offer what Midtown does, in terms of access and proximity to the lifestyle they want. They don't want a house in a bucolic neighborhood that is a 10 minute drive from an urban environment with late-night activities and downtown jobs--they want to walk downstairs and be in it RIGHT NOW. And the population we're talking about chooses their city based on access to those amenities. If they can't find a place with the lifestyle they want, they do not just shrug their shoulders and get a place in the suburbs, they pick another city that offers them. That's also part of why ownership housing is so important--as mentioned elsewhere, a lot of renting Midtowners who want to own end up buying in East Sacramento or Curtis Park because there simply isn't enough housing for sale in the grid, due to lack of supply.

The question is, how big is that market? And the problem is, when existing landlords see their new neighbors renting for $1600+ and decide their property is now worth more, even if it's a 400 sf 1950s crackerbox with semi-functional wall heat and A/C, and jack up their rent by several hundred dollars a month--perhaps adding a coat of paint or a new wall A/C unit. Will people in the middle income bracket be forced out, take on additional roommates, or vacate the scene? That's a longer term problem. Possible solutions include affordable-housing legislation, which produces screams from the development community over its cost and mandates, and screams from everyone else about "Section 8 slum housing" even when the affordable housing is intended primarily for incomes commensurate with working-class incomes, service workers, or entry-level professionals. We're already hearing those cries in conjunction with the low/moderate/mixed income projects under construction and in the planning stages, like the WAL (whose rents vary from $350 for low-income studios to $2000 for 3-bedroom lofts), 700 K (which is a mix of low, moderate and market rate housing.) I think in the long run we'll need a lot more like that, but it's politically unpalatable, and with the end of redevelopment agencies and tax increment financing, very very hard to build unless you got in under the wire.

Another, longer-term solution comes with subsequent build-out. Eventually the new development will sufficiently meet the demand for high-end housing, and we'll find out when we have met that demand when the latest high-end housing doesn't rent out, or its opening results in people moving from slightly older high-rent housing to the new units. At that point, the owners of the now-surplus housing will have to choose between lowering rents to a point where the market can fill it, or leaving the units vacant. Over time, the oldest of the "high-end" housing will become less appealing, due to wear, newer products, or just the dictates of fashion, and former "high-end" becomes "middle-end" housing. Will there be enough? Maybe, but that's a big challenge. As we start to recover the urbanity that our urban core had prior to 1950, the larger number of residents may buoy the economy to the point where the market can afford building inexpensive housing above ground-floor retail again, and we can keep moving back towards #58000 and potentially above. If not, we'll have to find other ways to ensure that the people who work downtown can afford to live nearby.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:07 PM

They have started taking applications for the $350 artist lofts? Anyone know a person who is applying? I'm excited, this idea worked so well in Brooklyn, hope it brings R street to life.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 2:10 AM

Yikes, things seem to be a little slow lately.

Does anyone have any up-to-date information regarding the buildout of Township 9? Specifically, is it likely that a second (or third?) building will break ground out there within the next 6 months or so? I've been unable to find out much through repeated internet searches...

One of the things I'm actually most excited about is just watching the new street grid take shape in both Township 9 and, more importantly, the Railyards. Since full build-out is probably 20 years off, at least seeing the grid expand as a blank slate for development is rather cool in a conciliatory way.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 5:12 AM

Has the first move ins at township been scheduled???

A lot of the dirt from the kings big dig is being hauled out there

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 9:59 PM
Hindrance to Development

Traffic on this site is a little slow, but city-wise, maybe everyone is too busy to post! Seems like things are happening right and left. WAL just started accepting applications, with a line of young creative folks down the block that looked like they were waiting for the new iPhone. B Street Theatre got a city loan to start construction of their new facility at 27th and N, the Powerhouse Science Center is on the next City Council agenda to get interim funding via TEFRA bonds, and the proposal for the new Raley Center for the Performing Arts in the old Fremont School is on the same Council agenda. Work is starting on the R Street streetscape improvement project between 16th and 18th just as Heller is submitting a new proposal for the Crystal Ice building and adjacent half-blocks, including the old Orchard Supply building.

And yeah, watching the street grid and bridge completion in the railyards is a hint that the site has certainly not been inactive--tons of behind the scenes infrastructure work going on, even though the property hasn't even been formally transferred to the new owner yet.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 4:30 AM

From the Business Journal:
Modular midtown housing project Eviva delayed over design process

Looks like there were some issues tying the modular units into the podium. Hopefully, there will be some action soon.

Never easy.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:58 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:00 AM
Hindrance to Development

I assume you're on the Midtown Neighborhood Association email list, Mr. Ozo?

The plans are interesting...apparently they were sufficiently discouraged from building a short-term surface parking lot at 21st and Capitol, and are instead building a six-story parking garage with 13,000 square feet of retail along the ground floor. I guess they consider parking a good investment.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:45 PM

Well, every year it does become harder and harder for the average person to find parking around that area. Unless you are/were a midtown resident and know all the secret free parking spaces or just obstinately refuse to pay for parking because "damn it, this is my neighborhood"

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I assume you're on the Midtown Neighborhood Association email list, Mr. Ozo?

The plans are interesting...apparently they were sufficiently discouraged from building a short-term surface parking lot at 21st and Capitol, and are instead building a six-story parking garage with 13,000 square feet of retail along the ground floor. I guess they consider parking a good investment.
The parking structure at 21st and Capitol is basically what is supposed to replace the parking structure that is currently in the location where the Whole Foods building will be going. It is parking for the 2020 L Street building tenants. The developers own that building too, and considering there are probably 500+ people that work in that building, that's a lot of parking that suddenly needs to be absorbed. I like that they are incorporating retail in the bottom rather than just have a parking structure.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:57 AM
Hindrance to Development

Yeah, the retail wrap takes a lot of sting out of the presence of a parking structure--and hopefully it will be easier to get them leased than the retail storefronts in the Sutter parking garage on N Street, which are used for storage!

I assume that they will attempt to monetize the parking garage by renting it at night to Midtown diners and visitors, rather than leaving it vacant after the staff at 2020L go home for the night. It would help mitigate the expense of such a large parking structure, as well as take some pressure off the neighborhood streets, which are "free" after 6 PM but get very crowded on weekend nights. I don't mind paying for parking if I drive somewhere in Midtown or Downtown, I figure it's a fair price for moving my car, but usually I'd prefer to walk--the best way to avoid paying for parking is to leave the car at home!

Last edited by wburg; Nov 26, 2014 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM

Does anyone know if the developer would be required to finish the parking structure on 21st and Capitol before demoing the parking structure on L St., thus delaying the start of construction for Whole Foods? Or would the city grant simultaneous construction and allow the 2020 L St tenants to have their parking displaced during construction?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:55 AM

I was scanning through some of the latest applications with the Sacramento planning department and found a couple interesting things...

1) Application PB14-061
Record Status: In Progress

WORK LOCATION
1122 7TH ST
SACRAMENTO CA 95814

APPLICATION DETAILS
Project Description:
Hyatt Place Hotel (original Marshall Hotel and Jade Hotel)
Preservation Commission Site Plan & Design Review
Preservation Commission Site Plan & Design Review of proposed new hotel complex: Demolish Jade Hotel and Demolish portions of Marshall Hotel but RETAIN & Rehabilitate HISTORIC FASCADES of Marshall Hotel, and build new structures/additions.

2) Application DR14-337

WORK LOCATION
601 J ST
SACRAMENTO CA 95814

APPLICATION DETAILS
Project Description:
Vanir Tower
A request to construct a 26 story (plus basement),
A request to construct a 26 story (plus basement), approximately 377 foot tall commercial office building with ground floor commercial space for restaurants and a bank on a 0.9 acre site in the Central Business District (C-3 SPD) zone.

http://www.vanirdevelopment.com/doc....46&parentID=99

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:11 AM
Resu Deretsiger

another 300

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
I was scanning through some of the latest applications with the Sacramento planning department and found a couple interesting things...

1) Application PB14-061

WORK LOCATION

2) Application DR14-337

WORK LOCATION
601 J ST
SACRAMENTO CA 95814

APPLICATION DETAILS
Project Description:
Vanir Tower
A request to construct a 26 story (plus basement), approximately 377 foot tall commercial office building with ground floor commercial space for restaurants and a bank on a 0.9 acre site in the Central Business District (C-3 SPD) zone.

I believe this building was proposed several years ago. Being a block from the ESC must've made them realize now is a good time to bring the proposal back.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:10 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
2) Application DR14-337

WORK LOCATION
601 J ST
SACRAMENTO CA 95814

APPLICATION DETAILS
Project Description:
Vanir Tower

Looking at how much office space is currently vacant downtown, I would be
surprised to actually see it built. According to Colliers-Sacramento, there is over
1 million sf of vacant office space in (CBD) and 2 million in downtown.
That's the size of four 25 story office buildings. The proposed design is
a thumbs down and awkward. And yeah, like Pistola916 said this site has
been under considerations for quite some time, Bank of the West's lease was
not renewed years ago when the owner thought the site could be demolished
turned into a high-rise.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:11 PM

Whatever. All I know is that both planning applications were filed on 11/24/14....last week.

The description of the office building project says it would be the west coast headquarters of the company that is actually building it (Vanir)...a good sign? I am absolutely skeptical, especially since the app fees are currently listed as "Outstanding".
But it is something to talk about.

In regard to application the Marshall/Jade property, the planning application fees are listed as "Paid". I do wonder how the preservation community feels about simply keeping the Mashall's facade.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:19 PM
Hindrance to Development

I'd like to hear more details about the plan--the developers behind it have been planning it for years but haven't been very available to present and answer questions. Perhaps if it's finally moving forward, they will provide a little more details/q&a opportunities--and hearing about their considerations re internal rehab vs. facadomy.

And yeah, office towers are kind of silly considering how much vacant office there is downtown--where are the residential towers? I think a lot of the development community is still convinced that the "millenials" still want to live out in the suburbs like Mom & Dad did and commute to downtown office, instead of actually living downtown.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Whatever. All I know is that both planning applications were filed on 11/24/14....last week.

The description of the office building project says it would be the west coast headquarters of the company that is actually building it (Vanir)...a good sign? I am absolutely skeptical, especially since the app fees are currently listed as "Outstanding".
But it is something to talk about.

In regard to application the Marshall/Jade property, the planning application fees are listed as "Paid". I do wonder how the preservation community feels about simply keeping the Mashall's facade.
Looks like it'll be a Hyatt Place http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4233663.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Boy that truly is hideous. Absolutely appallingly hideous.

Have more points to make but I'll just leave it at that for now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area