HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Museum Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Louisville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 6:36 PM
The True Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post

This comparison shows why I do not like this project. The funky design is cool, but it looks as if it will be too disconnected from the rest of the dt.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 6:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
This comparison shows why I do not like this project. The funky design is cool, but it looks as if it will be too disconnected from the rest of the dt.
but that's nothing that a few new infill towers down the road can't resolve. it may look a tad disconnected now, but who knows what the future holds for the development of louisville's skyline. hopefully this radical new development will help loiuisville catch some new attention and possibly even central city growth that will help spur new infill towers. it could all just be part of a self-fulfilling prophecy. build it, and they will come.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 11:51 PM

now that is a nice looking scraper!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Oh no, not the Detroit comparisons again. I'm not even going there...
I'm feelin it too Man! It's gona look like De~twa'!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 5:45 PM

?

I know that high-modernism has been back in fashion lately, but do we really need to revisit the Cor-Ten steel days of the late '60s?

(my example is the Main Place Tower in Buffalo)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:40 AM
Not far from Disneyland

I can understand the comparisons to D-Town, but I think cities like Louisville and Nashville are both taking visionary steps with developing new iconic skyscrapers.

Only time will tell if they pan out, but I don't think they can be faulted for trying to stir up a little density in their downtown areas.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:49 AM

I am disappointed with that ground floor plaza

Having been to Detroit last weekend and seein Renn Center, there is not comparison in the siting of this with the Renn Center...really these are quire different site issues being worked here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 1:42 AM

I was just in Louisville, a great city. Had a lot of fun walking around downtown, visiting the muhammad ali museum, and walking along the river. I have a hard time really picturing this building at that location, but I hope it gets built. I agree with people that think it would be a great new icon for louisville. Its a risky design, but I think the average people would grow to like it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
but that's nothing that a few new infill towers down the road can't resolve. it may look a tad disconnected now, but who knows what the future holds for the development of louisville's skyline. hopefully this radical new development will help loiuisville catch some new attention and possibly even central city growth that will help spur new infill towers. it could all just be part of a self-fulfilling prophecy. build it, and they will come.
I don't know of any true highrises planned for Louiseville other than MP. Has anyone else heard of any? I'm talking skyline altering, at least 20 floors. Louisville should try to attract a building at least in the 400+ range to infill that area.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Mind you, this scraper is only 2 blocks west of another 30 story architectual wonder, the Humana Building. The angle of that shot will be seen by virtually no one except those visiting the Falls of the Ohio museum in Clarksville, IN. What I REALLY want to see is the view motorists will have as they cross I-65 bridge into KY. Since that bridge is further east, it will "rotate" the perspective drastically from those pics. Therefore, Museum Plaza should essentially look flush with the Humana building. Also, the view from I-64 will be amazing too.

I am also concered about the view of the building from the street, and I think it will be awesome from Main street and 7th street. And that is all that matters, not that hocus pocus river view from a secluded park in Indiana that no one ever goes to anyways!!!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Dayton View Post
I am disappointed with that ground floor plaza
I think a lot of the outdoor schematics are somewhat vague at this point. I know they hired a top notch landscape designer from Europe to handle the outdoor spaces. So far I haven't been disappointed in the building concepts as they have evolved on this project. I'm sure those outdoor plans will be some of the last to receive the final tweaking.

As for the whole uneven skyline debate, trust me people, this angle (and others like it) will more than make up for it.

I 64 is located just to the right of this photo and Museum Plaza would be right in the middle and in the front. And unlike Ren. Center, the building's footprint is smaller so it wouldn't block the whole skyline out. Instead, it would appear that the freeway is going to run right through the middle of it. And it almost will. This will make this stretch of highway one of the most impressive entrances into any city Louisville's size.

Most freeway systems bypass downtowns (Nashville) or become lost under a series of overpasses and below grade ditches as they move through a city's core (Cincinnati riverfront). Essentially, they become segregated from the city. Not in this case. I 64 will pass so close to MP that will almost seem as though you could reach out and touch it. It will appear different from Main Street. It gives the building two very distinct faces.

With the exception of the Belvedere, I 64 will remain open and exposed the entire time offering an up close view of fantastic architecture (including MP, the new arena, and bridge) and the river.

Ironic considering most people consider I 64 to be the greatest mistake every made in Louisville's downtown planning.

Like the old saying goes, When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 7:00 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I think a lot of the outdoor schematics are somewhat vague at this point. I know they hired a top notch landscape designer from Europe to handle the outdoor spaces. So far I haven't been disappointed in the building concepts as they have evolved on this project. I'm sure those outdoor plans will be some of the last to receive the final tweaking.

As for the whole uneven skyline debate, trust me people, this angle (and others like it) will more than make up for it.

I 64 is located just to the right of this photo and Museum Plaza would be right in the middle and in the front. And unlike Ren. Center, the building's footprint is smaller so it wouldn't block the whole skyline out. Instead, it would appear that the freeway is going to run right through the middle of it. And it almost will. This will make this stretch of highway one of the most impressive entrances into any city Louisville's size.

Most freeway systems bypass downtowns (Nashville) or become lost under a series of overpasses and below grade ditches as they move through a city's core (Cincinnati riverfront). Essentially, they become segregated from the city. Not in this case. I 64 will pass so close to MP that will almost seem as though you could reach out and touch it. It will appear different from Main Street. It gives the building two very distinct faces.

With the exception of the Belvedere, I 64 will remain open and exposed the entire time offering an up close view of fantastic architecture (including MP, the new arena, and bridge) and the river.

Ironic considering most people consider I 64 to be the greatest mistake every made in Louisville's downtown planning.

Like the old saying goes, When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.
I agree that I-64 is an incredible entry into Louisville, but I disagree in that I think it is a bad thing, overall, to have an expressway cut right through the center of town.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 7:31 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Yeah, mate, urban expressways aren't anything to brag about.

This project will certainly be exciting, though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I agree that I-64 is an incredible entry into Louisville, but I disagree in that I think it is a bad thing, overall, to have an expressway cut right through the center of town.
Cutting through the city isn't the problem. Cutting the river off from the city is. That was the mistake that was made when the route was chosen back in the 60's. That's why this project (along with Waterfront Park the others mentioned) is an example of making the best of a bad situation.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Its a risky design, but I think the average people would grow to like it.
People havn't picked up on this but there is a sort of populist angle here in that the funky design and that angled tramway to the museum level will probably be a big draw, as will that see-through floor, which is going to be something people will talk about after it opens and they ride up into it.

The avearage Joe will come for the ride and the ability to look out across the city from the muesum.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 9:18 PM

The funny thing is a lot of people on these boards have blasted the diagonal elevator concept. I think that's the element that will push this over the top and make it something that visitors will want to tell everyone about. Although it's by no means a gimmick. This museum will pack a punch of it's own with the permanent and temporary exhibits in the works.

The experience of entering through turn of the century buildings and then being whisked up through a futuristic elevator to a contemporary art museum will be a wicked time warp adventure.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:30 AM

I hate the design. Absolutely detest it. It's butt ugly. Nevertheless, it's got some decent height involved, and in that respect it's nice to see there are some progressive thinkers in Louisville. Need to send some of them up to Cincinnati. This town desperately needs a new tallest.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:45 AM
roma volo

a very risky and akward looking of a building that is of a bold design. im glad to see some architect out there that has the balls to experiment.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 2:25 AM

hideous and congrats.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 4:24 AM

The nighttime rendering is almost tolerable

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects