HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Bank of America Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:58 PM

I work on 53rd St.- and love Brasserie, ate with my parents and siblings there on Xmas.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:58 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike View Post
Big Willy, here in Brooklyn. I also love the Seagram. I'm eclectic that way!

Dac, I'm a NY'er and my point wasn't to denigrate the BOA, but it is simply not my taste.
Understood, just trying to open you up a little to get your perspective.

I'm too am a Seagram fan.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 9:09 PM

I guess I'm a little tired of the restricted lobby prototype ala Bear Stearns and now Goldman Sachs- but as I said I'm old school.

I remember when the city was open and now it's mostly closed. I find it difficult to love buildings when they are so cold, have light 'waterfalls' and you need a pass just to get in to the elevators.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 7:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike View Post
I'm glad they built it. I'm old school and remember the pizza/t+mobile/daffy's/tax process/doughnuts bullshit at the site serving the tourist crowd.

But it's bland and whatever, ~sorry~ "Tall and Bland and Whatever"!

Tall and Bland and Bryant Park and bland and tall park and bryant and tall and bland and park bryant.....lalala Generic.

I think it's a great addition to the skyline. But other people find other reasons to like it...

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...b_impromp.html
Couples strapped for cash capitalize on New York's hot spots for flash-mob, impromptu weddings

Brigid and Gregoire Vogelsang, an event planner, tied the not at the Bank of America Tower.

BY Simone Weichselbaum
January 12th 2011

Quote:
These weddings are really veiled in secrecy.

City couples trying to save cash are tying the knot flash-mob style, popping up in public places or businesses to furtively exchange vows.

"We don't have money to throw a reception. How are you going to impress your guests?" said newlywed Gregoire Vogelsang, 26, who ushered 50 guests into the atrium of the Bank of America Tower on Dec. 18 for a guerrilla service.

An event planner, Vogelsang scouted sites such as Grand Central Terminal before his bride, Brigitte Owino, 24, selected the Bank of America spot.

"It's already decorated for free," said Owino.

A security guard did approach the couple at one point but, thankfully, forever held his peace.

Joshua Li, 31, and his bride, Ya Ting Li, 27, marched down the aisle - of iPods - at the Fifth Ave. Apple store on Valentine's Day 2009.

"We had bonded over Apple products," explained Ya Ting Li, who gathered with about a dozen friends and a minister. "We wanted something that we could remember."

Not all couples have the guts to attempt an impromptu service - especially because it could get shut down.

But the wedding planners at Elope NYC say there's a less stressful way.

Kim Coccagina, a photographer with the business, suggested booking a restaurant and never using the word "wedding" because "the price will double." After the ceremony starts, even the toughest security guard might not stop it.

Londoner Timothy Swain, 47, a mechanic, worked with Elope NYC to plan his January 2010 wedding at the Gramercy Park Hotel rooftop bar. Only they booked it as simply afternoon tea for 12.

"If we had booked a wedding at the Gramercy, it would have cost thousands," Swain said. "However, if you book afternoon tea, they cannot legally stop you from getting married."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 8:23 PM
New Yorker for life

If I squeeze my eyes just right, I can see the Tower Verre...

egor.gudaev

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 7:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 2:09 PM

The two pics from "the view bar" are lovely. :-)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:07 PM

Huh, I didn't even know that bar existed. NYC needs more bars in the sky, and it'll get at least one more when 1 WTC is finished.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 4:10 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Huh, I didn't even know that bar existed. NYC needs more bars in the sky, and it'll get at least one more when 1 WTC is finished.
It is in the Marriot times square hotel, nonguests pay a fee of ~7$ and the drink prices are pretty good for such a location. It's basically a "cheap" unknown "observation-deck" with the oppurtunity to have drinks above the city. It rotates 360° in an hr and u get a napkin with a picture of the skyline of NYC as you see it from the bar and describes which buildings you actually see.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 7:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:03 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=5138

Lighting One Bryant Park
Cook+Fox and Cline Bettridge Bernstein Lighting Design

Aaron Seward

Quote:
When the Durst Organization and Cook + Fox approached Cline Bettridge Bernstein Lighting Design (CBBLD) to execute the exterior lighting scheme for One Bryant Park, they already had a very clear idea of how they wanted their building to appear at night.

The crystalline volume of the 55-story tower features a variety of facets, sliced away from the mass of the building, that orient views through the forest of midtown skyscrapers surrounding the structure. This is most apparent on the southeast exposure, which faces onto Bryant Park itself, where the corner of the building is cut away from the 22nd floor up through the parapet, creating an inverted triangular facade element.

Here, the architects established a double curtain wall, the exterior glass surface forming the smooth plane seen from the street, while the interior is notched in plan to create additional corner office space. Cook + Fox and the developer both wanted this inverted triangle to glow at night—to shine out on the skyline even brighter than the lantern-like, already glowing glass tower. And of course, the job would have to be accomplished without exceeding the stringent energy requirements demanded to achieve a LEED Platinum rating.

As tall as those marching orders may have been, they were not the last of the challenges that the project presented to CBBLD. The design team was impressed, and concerned, by the minimalism of the structure and the clarity of the low-iron glass. These were great features for giving the tenants unobstructed views to the park and skyline, as well as for flooding the interiors with copious quantities of salubrious unfiltered daylight, but those same aspects made the space Teflon, so to speak, for electric lighting. There was nothing upon which the light could cling, no surface that would hold it and create the glowing effect the architects so desired. The joke around the office was that they would have to fill the cavity with smoke and shine light up through its hazy mantle for anyone to notice any illumination at all. Cook + Fox was unwilling to add anything to the structure or the glass itself that would impede the view/daylight continuum. Furthermore, they insisted that whatever fixtures CBBLD inserted into the space must not be visible from the interior.

In the end, the solution was quite simple. The architects wavered an inch from their transparency hard line and added a touch of translucent fritting on each exterior glass panel, high up where it wouldn’t trouble the eye. It proved enough, however, to catch the light and create a subtle striated pattern of illumination on the exterior, an effect, after all, that even matched the romantic rendering first presented to CBBLD.

To make the light, the team settled on high-output 15-watt LED cove fixtures placed in the spandrel sections of the elevation, where they would be well out of sight. They also tuned the white LEDs to 5,000K, establishing a cooler light within the double wall that contrasts with the warmer, 3,000K-T5 fluorescent strip lighting on the building’s interior.

As elegant as the solution was, it didn’t work all the way up the elevation, where two other architectural conditions presented themselves—the mechanical floors, which run from 52 to 56, and the parapet, which goes from 57 to the sky.
Cook + Fox wanted a consistency to the appearance of the lighting scheme in spite of these differences, and so CBBLD went about fabricating as close a facsimile of the office floors as was possible.

The mechanical floors step back from the lower parts of the tower, and on the resultant ledges, the team inserted frosted glass panels. They backlit these with floor-mounted 58-watt T5 fluorescent lamps, tuned to the same 3,000K color temperature as the office lighting. Within the cavity created between the frosted panels and the exterior wall, the designers placed the same 5,000K LED fixtures as used on floors 21 through 51, only bracket-mounted rather than cove. This strategy created a similar depth and contrasting tone of light as below. The team also backlit the rest of the mechanical floor’s facades, which are translucent glass, with 58 watt T5 fluorescent lamps, further reinforcing the consistency of lighting throughout the elevation of the building.

Lighting the parapet, which extends in some places as much as 50 feet above the roof, was an entirely different ballgame. There would be no constructing of a backing wall of frosted glass, as on the mechanical zones. CBBLD also had to contend with the helter-skelter ambient light of nearby Times Square. The solution was to use 400-watt metal halide floodlights behind the double wall section to simulate the lighting provided by T5s below, and 269-watt metal halide up-lights paired with each vertical column of the glass wall to reproduce the effect handled by the LEDs. The remainder of the parapet was lit with 150-watt metal halide up-lights, again to establish consistency of light all the way to the tippy top of the tower.

Then there is the spire, which reaches a full 1,200 feet into the air. Cook + Fox and Durst felt this element should be lit in a changing array of colors, both to complete the overall architectural composition at night, and as a civic gesture on the skyline similar to that offered by the Empire State Building. In answer, CBBLD outfitted the spire, a sort of triangular vertical truss in form, with strategically placed 50-watt RGB color-changing LED up-light fixtures. The luminaires are linked to a DMX control station, allowing One Bryant’s management to adjust the color on demand.

CBBLD also completed the lobby lighting scheme, though there is no room to discuss that here. Throughout the project, CBBLD counted every watt; there isn’t an incandescent on the job. The watt-scrimping paid off. The lighting scheme helped the base building earn its LEED Platinum rating, and it did so without sacrificing a little splash on the exterior, proving that a building doesn’t have to be boring to be green.

Top and above: LED cove lights installed within the wall cavity at the spandrels. The LEDs are tuned to a cooler white than the interior, making the section stand out on the lantern-like building.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 7:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

a rare angle...

cosmic_omar

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:53 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 2:47 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture