HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 11:40 PM

Hopefully it will take out Top Golf (its a neat idea but really screws with the chance for an urban district crossing over to the east of Burnet). They should move it up to Parmer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Hopefully it will take out Top Golf (its a neat idea but really screws with the chance for an urban district crossing over to the east of Burnet). They should move it up to Parmer.
They literally just built top golf, it represents millions of dollars of investment, and it's amazingly successful (it's always in the top 5 bars in the city for mixed beverage revenue.
It's not moving, it'll be there for the next 30 years.

Luckily

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
screws with the chance for an urban district crossing over to the east of Burnet
Isn't true at all.

1) Top golf isn't even on Burnet, it's on Esperanza and the building is 1/10 mile back from Burnet.

2) The place to look for the urban development of the Domain to jump burnet (if it hasn't already) is the IBM property. IBM is in a bad way, downsizing, and they've already put out feelers for redeveloping some/all of the property as mixed use. Re-use those buildings and also use those huge surface lots.

3) The next area to look would be across Burnet _south_ of Kramer. An old strip mall fronting Burnet, and lots of old industrial and warehouses. AND it's closer to the rail station.

4)When it finally comes to it, make use of the huge Top Golf surface lot. Putting in parking structures would free up lots of land.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
3) The next area to look would be across Burnet _south_ of Kramer. An old strip mall fronting Burnet, and lots of old industrial and warehouses. AND it's closer to the rail station.

4)When it finally comes to it, make use of the huge Top Golf surface lot. Putting in parking structures would free up lots of land.
While we're spitballing, I'd love to see the Kramer metro station actually turned into a station, rather than a platform in the backyard of some low end commercial/industrial. I have no idea the disposition of the real estate immediately surrounding the station but boy you'd think that whole place would be ripe for TOD.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
It's not moving, it'll be there for the next 30 years.

Luckily
Yeah, luckily, because nothing says urban like a great driving range that takes up 3-5 acres. I don't care how successful it is driving ranges are made for the burbs, its the only places I've ever seen one, we could never imagine having one in say downtown or West Campus.
I didn't mean to say that is the only thing impeding a jump across Burnet, for one, the width of Burnet makes that difficult, I live a mile from there and it is not pedestrian friendly at all coming in and out. There is also the private drive where Charles Schwab is (and are currently building their second building), the huge parking lot at IBM (which I'm split on how I feel about being repurposed since there are so many great mature trees), the warehouse style industrial buildings that are currently being utilized, and the fact that the large JJ Pickle tract is private among others.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see the Kramer metro station actually turned into a station, rather than a platform in the backyard of some low end commercial/industrial. I have no idea the disposition of the real estate immediately surrounding the station but boy you'd think that whole place would be ripe for TOD.
It will be real interesting to see how it all plays out. I don't anticipate too much change for at least 5 years since the commercial/industrial areas you speak of are being used and because the station is just a little too far from the Domain. However, after the Domain fills out and we see more and more development creep to the east than maybe rents or property taxes will get too high and the tenants will move out.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:45 PM

Uhm, Top Golf is one of the most popular things to do in North Austin, if not Austin as a whole. It's not going anywhere and it shouldn't. I don't buy this idea that it belongs on the outskirts. Build around it. It's not that hard.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:58 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I already consider this area of town to be the outskirts. haha Top Golf is fine there.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 12:13 AM
Meh

I already added this to the thread for this building, but we're going to have a pretty decent skyline going up there once all of these new Domain buildings are complete.

The site plan was released for HPI Domain Office. The elevations are files 074 and 075.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11340039

It's 181 feet to the highest roof.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 11:53 PM
Meh

Good aerial here of Domain 8 under construction.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...es-for.html#i1
Quote:
Austin lags far behind other Texas cities for office development

Here's a stark reminder of the pecking order in Texas when it comes to commercial real estate activity: Austin, Dallas and Houston have added 43 million square feet of space of office space since 2011 but Houston accounted for the lion's share of new inventory in that time with 26 million square feet added, or more than half.

Dallas' office market grew by about 13 million square feet in that time while Austin added just four million square feet, according to a new report from CBRE Group Inc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:05 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Good aerial here of Domain 8 under construction.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...es-for.html#i1
Yeah, but their analysis kinda sucks since they aren't accounting for absorption nor are they accounting for the distribution of office space nor even contextualizing it to the previous amount of office space... e.g. in percentage terms, which is a required condition in order to argue that we are in any way "lagging behind." If Austin added more as a share of its total market, for instance (since we don't know the real story), then I would argue the opposite, that Austin had outperformed its larger neighbors.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:08 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Yeah, but their analysis kinda sucks since they aren't accounting for absorption nor are they accounting for the distribution of office space nor even contextualizing it to the previous amount of office space... e.g. in percentage terms, which is a required condition in order to argue that we are in any way "lagging behind." If Austin added more as a share of its total market, for instance (since we don't know the real story), then I would argue the opposite, that Austin had outperformed its larger neighbors.
Here's the breakdown in square feet for all classes of office space. This is for 1Q of 2016, so there's been more added since then. I gotta say, I'm surprised by the size of Austin's office market. I never would have guessed we had more than Fort Worth and San Antonio, especially San Antonio which has a lot of office high rises outside of downtown.

Dallas - downtown - 31,992,624
Dallas - suburban - 249,836,037
Dallas - total - 281,828,661

Houston - downtown - 43,021,195
Houston - suburban - 185,288,477
Houston - total - 228,309,672

Austin - downtown - 9,596,564
Austin - suburban - 38,763,717
Austin - total - 48,360,281

Fort Worth - downtown - 10,727,850
Fort Worth - suburban - 23,133,878
Fort Worth - total - 33,861,728

San Antonio - downtown - 5,668,040
San Antonio - suburban - 24,632,287
San Antonio - total - 30,300,327

Total - 622,660,669

Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin source:
http://www.coydavidson.com/office/te...pdate-q1-2016/

San Antonio Source:
http://team.transwestern.net/Market-...0Q1%202016.pdf

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:32 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I gotta say, I'm surprised by the size of Austin's office market. I never would have guessed we had more than Fort Worth and San Antonio, especially San Antonio which has a lot of office high rises outside of downtown.
I'm not surprised by either of those facts.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:15 PM

With Austin having a few under construction we likely will pass Fort Worth's downtown number by next year.

UT Office tower
500 W 2nd (Google tower)
Third & Shoal
Shoal Creek Walk
and I'm sure that new proposed glass thing on a ugly parking garage (if it gets built)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:16 PM
World Traveler

^ Are those metro numbers or Austin (et al) proper?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:21 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^ Are those metro numbers or Austin (et al) proper?
All of those numbers are city proper. Downtown, then their sub-markets outside of downtown, but still within the city limits.

I guess I'm not all that surprised that we have more office space outside of downtown than Fort Worth does, but San Antonio really was a surprise. They have way more office high rises outside of their downtown than we do. We tend to have more 3 to 5-story sprawling office parks. I guess the difference is that they didn't have as much built inside downtown, and so most of the new supply during the 80s went outside.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 4:45 AM
クラブトクヨ

Austin is pretty darn special to get this one.... and ALL of my Dallas and Houston friends are super jealous. CB2!!!

I also like that it will be the leading the street facing storefront in the archer hotel.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Austin is pretty darn special to get this one.... and ALL of my Dallas and Houston friends are super jealous. CB2!!!

I also like that it will be the leading the street facing storefront in the archer hotel.

I swung by Domain Northside on Friday as well, just to see the hubub they were doing for the new openings.

It's pretty impressively large, and still not finished. Nice wide sidewalks. Probably more space devoted to pedestrians than cars lanes/parking, which is nice.

I noticed some bike racks (out front, not hidden in back) but I didn't see any sharrows on the lanes (yet?). So I'll give them a B on that.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 12:53 AM

omg yaaaas go domain!!!!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 1:41 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I swung by Domain Northside on Friday as well, just to see the hubub they were doing for the new openings.

It's pretty impressively large, and still not finished. Nice wide sidewalks. Probably more space devoted to pedestrians than cars lanes/parking, which is nice.

I noticed some bike racks (out front, not hidden in back) but I didn't see any sharrows on the lanes (yet?). So I'll give them a B on that.
What are sharrows?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 2:19 AM

I think it means shared lane markings

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin