HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Ladies man Babe Ruth gives some "hands on" coaching advice to a ladies baseball team, his wife Julia watching him like a hawk:

Video Link

First half filmed in 1931 at old Wrigley Field in south Los Angeles, home of the Cub's minor league farm team the Angels. In this era, the Cubs also did their spring training on Catalina Island which Cubs owner and chewing gum magnate Bill Wrigley owned, and had a mansion overlooking Avalon. The expansion major league Angels played their first year (1961) at the same Wrigley Field. TV series "Home Run Derby" was also filmed here in the late 1950s and early 1960s. L.A.'s Wrigley Field was torn down in the late 1960s, but the one in Chicago survives and is now along with Fenway Park in Boston the oldest major league venue in baseball.

The game in the second half of the film appears to be at a park or school playing field on the west side of L.A. from the look of the Santa Monica Mountains on the horizon. Maybe someone will recognize the location from the large Fox MovieTheater and the gym or field house (?) that appears in some of the shots in the backround. Confident that one of the sleuths from the "Noirish L.A." blog can pinpoint it.

Ruth hit his famous "called shot" home run at Wrigley in Chicago in 1932, a year after this film short was made, when the Yankees and Cubs faced each other in the World Series. The Yankees won the series in 1932 mostly due to Ruth's slugging. When asked why he was paid more than President Hoover, Ruth said "I had a better year than he did". Ruth was a lifelong Democrat and backed Al Smith when he ran against Hoover in '28, and FDR when he ran against (and trounced) Hoover in '32.
Sexy gals

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan31 View Post
Sexy gals
Yes, they are. Probably starlets at Universal. Doubt they were a real baseball team. The Babe was such an energetic fun loving guy, a real character. We need another Babe. Ohtani is a two way player, good hitter and pitcher, but he seems to have a low key personality very unlike the Babe. Do you recognize where the game in the second half was filmed? Definitely somewhere on westside of L.A.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 11, 2022 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yes, they are. Probably starlets at Universal. Doubt they were a real baseball team. The Babe was such an energetic fun loving guy, a real character. We need another Babe. Ohtani is a two way player, good hitter and pitcher, but he seems to have a low key personality not like the Babe. Do you recognize where the game in the second half was filmed? Definitely somewhere on westside of L.A.
Agreed, he's even fun to watch.

Looks like LA, but I can't be certain, I'm from the East Coast.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan31 View Post
Agreed, he's even fun to watch.

Looks like LA, but I can't be certain, I'm from the East Coast.
Definitely west L.A. area. Santa Monica Mountains ("Hollywood Hills") in distance. Plus they filmed the first half at L.A. Wrigley Field where the minor league Angels played. They were the Cubs PCL farm team.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 9:54 AM

How the Equitable Building Changed the Manhattan Skyline

The Equitable Building in lower Manhattan is a gigantic H-shaped 40 story skyscraper constructed in 1915, that rose straight up from the sidewalk, casting a dark shadow all around. Although it was built before my blog era (1920-1940), this skyscraper provoked such a reaction that it led directly to the 1916 "setback" zoning regulation that impacted the development of the skyline in the 1920s building boom, and right up to the current era. Skyscrapers under this regulation could no longer rise to their final height from the sidewalk, but could gain height if set back as they rose, according to a strict formula. Later modifications allowed for buildings to rise higher without setbacks or "steps" if they were placed in plazas at street level. Hence the rectangular box skyscrapers. Other cities also implemented similar zoning laws. The purchase and transfer of unused development rights from neighboring parcels has in some cases blunted the height limits and zoning laws in recent years, as has the development of "skinny towers" that have recently risen to clouds piercing heights. Here is a good short video on the subject:

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 3, 2022 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 10:18 AM

Babe Ruth & Baseball All Stars Visit Japan, 1934

Mostly sourced from home movies of star Jimmie Foxx. The 1934 trip was long planned since 1932, but kept getting delayed because the indispensable star Babe Ruth was unavailable. The trip was made after the 1934 season. Ruth never played for the Yankees again. His career would end in 1935 after his trade to the Boston Braves, but he would have one final day of glory. In one of his last games, the Babe hit 3 home runs, including the final one one that soared almost 600 feet. The longest home run ever hit in Forbes Field or possibly anywhere (see below).

Video Link

Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day, July 4, 1939

As it actually happened. Not a film reconstruction. Sound cuts in and out, can barely hear Mayor LaGuardia, but this is the only film record of this day we have left. Gehrig "luckiest man" speech starts about 8.5 minutes in. Gehrig had less than two years to live. Scenes with Ruth. First time they reconciled since they fought on the 1934 trip to Japan after Gehrig found Ruth having a drink with his wife Eleanor in their cabin. Eleanor was tipsy. Gehrig suspected infidelity, although this seems unlikely since Claire Ruth kept a close eye on him. But it is possible that Eleanor and Babe had a fling before her marriage to Lou, since Eleanor was something of a baseball groupie in Chicago, and Babe rarely said no to a woman, and maybe Lou suspected this.

Clare Ruth and maybe Babe were also upset that Gehrig's mother made a remark that one of the Ruth's daughters was poorly dressed when they were all having dinner together. Ma Gehrig apparently thought that Clare was dressing her own daughter from her first marriage better than Babe's daughter (and Clare's stepdaughter) from his first marriage. Babe used to love Ma Gehrig's German specialties like pickled eels, but the remark upset Clare Ruth. Ma Gehrig, like Clare Ruth, was a pushy and opinionated woman. Babe sometimes jokingly called Clare his "manager", as she did her best to keep him out of the clutches of other women (see the Ruth film short on page 3 where he coaches the women's baseball team). Ruth's first daughter in a book she wrote also expressed the opinion that Clare treated her own daughter better, and maybe Ma Gehrig noticed this.

It is possible that Gehrig told the Yankee owners that he would not play with Ruth again, and in 1935 Ruth was traded to the Boston Braves. The trade would probably have happened anyway, since Ruth's abilities were fading fast (he hit less than 20 home runs in 1934 and his average was low, around .250). But he did have one last fling of glory--a 3 home run game with the Braves in 1935 (see below).

Video Link

Ruth goes out with a mighty ROAR--3 home runs in Forbes Fields in 1935, the last one the longest ever hit--"Do not go gently into the night, RAGE against the dying of the light!":

Video Link

Ruth lived on until 1948, dying of throat cancer. He spent his retirement years golfing (almost pro skills), bowling (above 200 average), fishing and hunting. Apart from a brief coaching stint with the Dodgers, he was never given a chance to manage even a minor league team. The owners felt that a man they viewed as incapable of controlling his own impulses would be unsuited to managing a team. We will never know. All I know is that in the film clips, the Babe appears to be a good teacher of all the elements of baseball. I think he just might have made a good manager. He should have been given the chance.

Ruth should have also written an autobiography, or at least a book about how he achieved his baseball skills. What Brother Mathias at St. Mary's reform school taught him. Brother Mathias was Ruth before Ruth, hitting monster home runs that awed young Ruth and the other kids. Young Babe idolized him, and learned to hit from him. When Babe became rich he bought a Cadillac for his mentor. When Mathias wrecked it Ruth bought him another. The Babe could have titled his book "How I Became Babe Ruth". It would have sold like hotcakes. A missed opportunity for Ruth and those who are learning to play the game.

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 10, 2022 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 10:20 AM

Flo Ziegfeld & The Showboat Revolution, 1927

Under construction. Up about 4/30/22

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 10:26 AM

The Sensational 1920s Trials of Clarence Darrow--Scopes "Monkey" Trial; Dr. Ossian Sweet Trial; Leopold & Loeb Trial

Under construction. Up about 5/5/22

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 10:30 AM

Art Deco Masterpieces of Los Angeles

Under construction. Up by 5/10/22

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 8:30 PM

Delete

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 27, 2022 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 7:45 AM

Delete

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 7:45 AM

I will return to this blog in the next couple of months. I am caring for an elderly parent, and it takes a great deal of my time. But we love them, so we do it. Like MacArthur, "I Shall Return" by July or August. In the meantine, check out all the vids I've already posted. Sure you will enjoy many of them if you have any interest in the 1920s and '30s.

"How to make God laugh....make plans"

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 27, 2022 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:47 AM

Should have all of the above topics online in the next few weeks ("how to make God laugh...make plans"). But this is important to me.

Don't forget to watch the new Ken Burns documentary on Ben Franklin this week on PBS (Mond/Tues.). Ben Franklin was the first great American, known worldwide for his electrical experiments, his Almanac and of course his role in founding the United States.

Also, for Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul fans, new episodes start airing very soon on cable (AMC). I expect Walter White/"Heisenberg" to make an appearance. Since this is a prequel, the dead can return. Maybe Jessie too. Best TV series ever in my opinion.

Help Ukraine.

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 9:12 AM

Publisher William Allen White of Emporia, Kansas commemorates the tragic 1921 death of his daughter Mary in a horse riding accident

The victory of the KU basketball team in the national championship Monday made me recall this wonderful memorial William Allen White wrote about his daughter (White was a KU alum). It is a wonderful tribute from a father to his daughter that everybody should hear at least once. Mary White died in 1921 riding her favorite horse. She was temporarily distracted waving to a friend when a low tree branch fractured her skull. White's memorial, published in his Emporia Gazette, is one of the most poignant ever written and is read to this day.

Mary White was a firecracker, a smart girl who might have achieved great things had she not died at 16 in '21, forever young:

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 28, 2022 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:48 AM

I will come back to this soon and post new material. I love doing it. I am currently preoccupied with family matters. Hope to post new material in a few days or weeks. Check back. So much good material to post and comment on. The 1920s and 1930s are my passion.

In the meantime, newbies check out all the material on earlier pages. For example the color 1929-1930 version of "Rhapsody in Blue" on page 1 from "King of Jazz" with Gershwin at the piano, the Sister Aimee vids, all the Babe talkie shorts..check out the one where he coaches the girl baseball team in 1931. Still funny.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 23, 2022 at 5:24 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos