HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Were you up there yesterday, too?
Yep!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Yep!
I wonder if we conversed--were you the one telling me about the downtown streetcar proposal?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
LA Mayor announces $6 million in federal funding towards Hollywood Freeway Cap project and permanent closure of Wilshire Blvd through MacArthur Park

https://mayor.lacity.gov/news/major-...ing-strengthen
This is great…and ambitious if it comes to fruition.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
What happens to Wilshire traffic in that area if the street is closed, though? It's like the main drag for much of the city.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:09 AM

Quote:
What happens to Wilshire traffic in that area if the street is closed, though? It's like the main drag for much of the city.
I’m sure there is a plan. Lol
But I was mainly referring to the Hollywood Central Park. That would be major for LA.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I imagine you'd just have to drive around on 6th or 7th St and then reconnect with Wilshire on the other side. The park isn't so large that it's too difficult to go around it, in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:18 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I imagine you'd just have to drive around on 6th or 7th St and then reconnect with Wilshire on the other side. The park isn't so large that it's too difficult to go around it, in my opinion.
They could convert 6th and 7th into one way streets, with 6th going outbound from DTLA and 7th inbound to DTLA.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I wonder if we conversed--were you the one telling me about the downtown streetcar proposal?
Alas, that was not me.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
It sounds like this grant is meant to cover design costs to get the project shovel ready (hopefully that covers all of those costs?). Getting it shovel ready would put it in a great position for future funding. I'm hoping that every Democratic administration includes this type of reconnecting communities funding in annual transportation spending going forward. If that becomes a regular thing, this project would have very good chances of getting built.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I’m sure there is a plan. Lol
But I was mainly referring to the Hollywood Central Park. That would be major for LA.
It is fantastic news, but still quite the missed opportunity that we didn't already have it shovel ready after all these years....

Take a look at Atlanta who received $157M from the same program to actually build their Downtown freeway cap...

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/d...ng-207-million

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:04 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

$157 million for a 5-acre bridge and park over a highway? We can't even get a playground for $157 million in LA!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
$157 million for a 5-acre bridge and park over a highway? We can't even get a playground for $157 million in LA!
The money is just to make the project "shovel-ready"

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
The money is just to make the project "shovel-ready"
I thought it was to pay for phase I?

Atlanta is killing it with their freeway capping/reconnecting communities. When the Gulch project and their freeway caps are done, the city will be transformed. Hopefully this federal funding continues and we can follow their lead with the Hollywood and Downtown freeway caps.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 1:44 AM

Los Angeles awarded $900M for transit improvements ahead of 2028 Olympics

Travis Schlepp
KTLA
March 12, 2024

The Biden Administration has awarded the Los Angeles region nearly $900 million for public transportation and infrastructure improvements ahead of the 2028 Summer Olympics.

Of that batch of federal dollars, more than $860 million is earmarked for the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, aka LA Metro.

The cash infusions will help to expand the Metro rail system and “reconnect communities” ahead of the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games, according to Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass.
. . . .
Tens of millions in federal grant funding will also be used in the construction of sections two and three of the D Line Subway Extension Project, which will add nine miles of underground subway and seven stations connecting downtown Los Angeles with the Westside.
. . . .

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
You previously did mention:

Moderator Note: citywatch has been suspended for one month - not banned - for repeatedly violating forum rules of posting off topic content about other cities.

Personally, I don't mind free-wheeling postings that either directly or indirectly relate to dtla, but, come on, seeing that proj in atlanta inserted in the middle of the dtla forum is a bit much even for me.

As for dtla, the only proj that apparently will break ground in the next 6 to 12 months is the new bldg for the colburn school. I posted a version of this vid a few months ago, but this is straight from the school itself.

Video Link

Right after I was wished out into the corn field, the Oceanwide proj hit the news. All the publicity about massive tagging covering its windows & walls....which will cause the proj's salvaging to be even more costly & increasingly less likely too...has been such a slap in the face of dtla, I'm still reeling several wks later.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:52 PM

New to the Forum

After many years of reading this message board, I finally signed up.

I've worked in DTLA since 2000, so I've seen a lot of changes and a lot of ups and downs. For most of my career, my office was at 6th and Hope. At the beginning, most of the buildings around us were vacant. The Standard Hotel building was vacant (vacant again), The building that has the Library Bar was vacant, the building next to the Aon building was vacant.

The area around 6th and Hope really deteriorated in the past few years. Happily, we relocated up to Bunker Hill about 18 months ago. It's a world of difference and we're all very happy to be there.

I have noticed the great progress in South Park. That area seems like a great place. Seems to have a lot of energy, young people, new restaurants, etc..

Just wanted to say hello and I've got my fingers crossed that a lot of the developments talked about on here happen.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:31 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Welcome to the forum, DTLA Worker!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLA Worker View Post
After many years of reading this message board, I finally signed up.

I've worked in DTLA since 2000, so I've seen a lot of changes and a lot of ups and downs. For most of my career, my office was at 6th and Hope. At the beginning, most of the buildings around us were vacant. The Standard Hotel building was vacant (vacant again), The building that has the Library Bar was vacant, the building next to the Aon building was vacant.

The area around 6th and Hope really deteriorated in the past few years. Happily, we relocated up to Bunker Hill about 18 months ago. It's a world of difference and we're all very happy to be there.

I have noticed the great progress in South Park. That area seems like a great place. Seems to have a lot of energy, young people, new restaurants, etc..

Just wanted to say hello and I've got my fingers crossed that a lot of the developments talked about on here happen.
Big welcome!!! And thanks for joining!!!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 10:05 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Wish I had the ability to post visually on forums like before.
I would show you how Wilshire looked when the concrete was
new and white and the street had water on both sides.
Unless they destroy it the thoroughfare will continue on through
what's left of MacArthur Park when the decision is reversed.
Once she is out of there.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 3:16 PM

Wtf

Nothing stays looking new and white. Smh Lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations