HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:26 AM

Not impossible. Not easy. But I think you're right for the most part. ha

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 1:21 PM

Sad news for fans of brunch at the popular Velma's Place on Water Street. The landlords are kicking them out so they will be closing near the end of May.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...34363&latest=1

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:48 PM

oh no! I love that place!! .. I wonder what the landlord's 'plans' are? :S

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:59 PM

NOO! That's such a great little traditional restaurant...

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Now I'm curious.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:39 PM

Concerning. Very concerning. Perhaps the owner's received some compelling (and competitive) offers for the space.

It's in a heritage district so it will need a permit for alterations to the property.

I hope it just isn't offices of some kind. It really would waste some great commercial realty.

However, I doubt anyone looking for office space would put this kind of effort in to get such a key location on Water Street.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:41 PM

This sucks so bad. It's going to be another Hava Java repeat... where a great thing is lost and the replacement is uncompetitive.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:11 PM

Hopefully we'll see some good renos done to the outside of it.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 11:10 PM

The outside is fine, in my opinion. I find renos to heritage buildings just make them more generic while eliminating the details and particularities of the older, usually more interesting, building.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM

The Works is opening this summer at 36 George Street, which I believe is where Mexicali Roasa's was.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 9:42 AM

Isn't that a kids' restaurant?

Haha, and so the ambition of making George Street into a 'family-friendly' space continues...

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:21 AM

No, I'm pretty sure it's a gourmet burger place. Kinda like Relish which just opened recently on Waldegrave St.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I always felt a little racist saying "Mexicali Rosa's". It was an awful name for a place.

Hopefully The Works does better. I'll definitely be down there. And we'll have to do one of our meets there.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 12:08 PM

The Works is a great burger place. Going to be odd with The Works gym, aquarena, field house and The Works burger place.

The burger place is very much like relish, perhaps a step up in the atmosphere. Less cafeteria more east side marios.

Shame about velma's only because like someone said, it'll be a hava java flip.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:18 PM

So looks liek a new smoothie and frozen yogurt place is opening up on water street! For weeks i noticed constuction going on while i walked to the gym and then today they have a sign up!

Its 199 Water street next to the franklyn hotel!
http://www.smoothiefactory.com/
Smoothie Factory!

Looks good!
Excuse the picture if it comes out (its my first time) LOL

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe...A%22s%22%7D%7D

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:42 PM

Sounds cool! I'll definitely give it a try when it opens. Looks like menchies is going to have some competition

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
The Works is a great burger place. Going to be odd with The Works gym, aquarena, field house and The Works burger place.

The burger place is very much like relish, perhaps a step up in the atmosphere. Less cafeteria more east side marios.

Shame about velma's only because like someone said, it'll be a hava java flip.
I'm guessing the burger joint with be more popular than the gym!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 11:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Developer wants restaurant to be a downtown destination - Challenges still ahead for harbourfront project, controversial from the start

Quote:
Rob Moore’s harbourfront restaurant project has faced challenges since before shovel hit dirt and those challenges will continue even after completion.

But Moore, 53, president of Harbour Walk Hospitality — the company building two restaurants on Harbour Drive next to the Keg — is hoping Legros and Motti will be a downtown destination for residents and tourists. With 367 seats in the 10,000-square foot space — not including the second restaurant — it’s going to need to be.

“It’s big on every scale,” he said. The concept for Legros and Motti, said Moore, is a cross between a French bistro and an Italian trattoria — “upper-end casual,” said Moore — with the names coming from two sets of grandparents.

“I’ve been working on this probably four years,” he said. “I’ve spent 32 years travelling, and looking at ideas, and what I’ve learned over my career, especially in the last four to five years travelling, I’ve put into a concept that, hopefully, will blow this city away. We’re putting a lot into this.”

When Harbour Walk — sister company to the Millennium Group, which also owns the Keg — submitted its plan to St. John’s council in 2011 for the restaurants, being built on land leased from the St. John’s Port Authority, the project was criticized because the authority didn’t put the land out to tender. And with the size of the building becoming clear as the structure is erected, online commenters have raised concerns about it blocking the view of

St. John’s harbour.

Moore suggests criticism from other downtown bar and restaurant owners is overblown, since the new restaurants will draw people into the area instead of pulling them out of the downtown core.

“I have people say, ‘Geez, Rob, thank God you’re doing this downtown and not up on Kenmount Road.’ There’s some, I guess, jealousy, and there’s some legit, ‘Why didn’t we get the chance to get this property?’ (But) I don’t apologize for being the first guy to go out and get the property. I’ve often been the second guy, and I lick my wounds and get on with life.”
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...om-the-start/1

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 4:50 PM

Hello All! Just joined the Forums.

A few things I would like to bring up regarding the food industry in St. John's.

1) I would like to see more authentic Asian food, such as Thai! There used to be "Taste of Thai" but it seemed to be overpriced and not run well, hence the reason it is no longer in operation. Thai food is delicious, and most places have very cheap lunch specials in cities such as Halifax.

2) There is not many great options in the late night for good food. Smoke's is awful, and Keltic Hearth is vastly overpriced, ($9 for a side of fries?! lol wat), I miss Mustang Sally's. The pizza places downtown late night are also not very good.

3) Why isn't there a McDonald's in the DT area? There are 2 subways and last time I checked a footlong meatball sub with cookies and a coke is worst for you than a big mac meal! And it would provide a nice cheap bite to eat after downtown!

4) I am from halifax and I love the boardwalk! I find it sad that the city has not zoned any water-frontage for a boardwalk that could allow for some bars with patios and restaurants! The city is once bowing for industry once again!

If the city made some of the changes I said above, the food selection could improve vastly, along with the DT vibe! Let me know what you think! Imagine how nice a boardwalk on the water would be!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:22 PM

^^^^ Yup! I completely agree with you (and many more would agree to0) that SJ needs some more 'economical' dining choices downtown. Mustang Sally's was a great spot, it's since been replaced by Annex which is a good spot... but pricey; a boardwalk would definitely be a plus for DT!

Last edited by statbass; Jun 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's