HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Another view i took of 15th and Walnut, yesterday:

From the start of the demo to now, has to be almost a full year. And, as you can see, it does not look like it's anywhere near ready to rise out of the ground yet. I'm eager to see how this building turns out: a modernist glass cube amidst the classic stone canyon of Walnut Street.
It's definitely been much less than a year. I live right in the area. I'd say they started demolishing the old Elixir building sometime in early spring. I think it will be a great building. I love the mix of styles.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It's definitely been much less than a year. I live right in the area. I'd say they started demolishing the old Elixir building sometime in early spring. I think it will be a great building. I love the mix of styles.
Actually probably more like end of January than end of March but it hasn't been all that long. It was a tough building to demolish if you saw the type of materials it was made of.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 6:14 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
Perhaps someone with photoshop skills could photoshop PhillyDrew's picture above to show us how the skyline will look once the SLS, W, and CITC are present. I believe they would all be visible from this angle. Thanks in advance tech-wizards.
Yes. Please do!

IDK if the SLS will be viewable from that angle, but maybe.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Not sure if renderings have been posted, but this is actually a pretty huge development on a long vacant prime lot at 13th and South Street. The development is called 1240 South.

Renderings from developer:
Someone posted renders of this a few months back but there was a lot of yellow in the facade. Glad to see they got rid of that. Looks much better now.

EDIT: But I'd still prefer to see something with a brick tie in for that spot. <- Being picky!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:31 PM

Growth of Roof Decks in South Philly since 2006

Check out this cool illustration of the growth in number of roof decks in South Philly since 2006 posted on the Passyunk Post:

http://www.passyunkpost.com/2014/09/...-south-philly/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 6:13 PM
BANNED

Steel going up at 15th and walnut.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:14 PM

Not development related (although, maybe in an abstract historic way it is)... but here is a new visualization for anyone who wants it.

PHILLY'S GRID IS A WEB: and other fun oddities.

interactive map (satellite view to see clearly)

This is a visualization I have been wanting to do for a while to see what it would look like if all 90 (yes 90!) numbered streets were made into continuous line segments. (I didnt add lettered streets since that doesn't add anything of interest.)

There are 5 clearly distinct sections of the grid (different colors to help see this), and as the grid expands west it begins inflecting on historic roadways to form more of a web shape. This would be even more pronounced to they decided to call 64th - 80th Avenue where called "Streets", because this would imply those street where designed to eventually circle all the way from the Schuylkill, through W.Philly, then N.Philly past Broad Street heading east in some cases.

There are also lots of little oddities like where supposedly parallel, numbered streets, intersect - Or how several streets disappear into Delaware Co. then reemerge by City Ave. Or the one that most people are familiar with, e.g counting the streets along Market as you walk from U.City to C.C. (31, 30, 23?!?). So I wondered, where would those missing streets go, and how would it look if they were all there

Check it out, enjoy

Last edited by Mappy; Sep 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Not development related (although, maybe in an abstract historic way it is)... but here is a new visualization for anyone who wants it.

PHILLY'S GRID IS A WEB: and other fun oddities.

This is a visualization I have been wanting to do for a while to see what it would look like if all 90 (yes 90!) numbered streets were made into continuous line segments. (I didnt add lettered streets since that doesn't add anything of interest.)

There are 5 clearly distinct sections of the grid (different colors to help see this), and as the grid expands west it begins inflecting on historic roadways to form more of a web shape. There are also lots of little oddities like where supposedly parallel, numbered streets, intersect - Or how several streets disappear into Delaware Co. then reemerge by City Ave. Or the one that most people are familiar with, e.g counting the streets along Market as you walk from U.City to C.C. (31, 30, 23?!?). So I wondered, where would those missing streets go, and how would it look if they were all there

Check it out, enjoy
I look forward to checking it out in more detail, but so far my favorite numbered-street quirk is this in UC, where at the intersection of 33rd, 34th, and Civic Center Blvd, half the pavement is 33rd and half is 34th:

On Gmaps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un...0aefd494454594

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:03 PM

Steel up at 15th & Walnut.

Post Bros interior demo at 260 S. Broad. Anyone know what's reallly going on there?

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Sep 3, 2014 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:36 AM

Another UC project, forgot about it, at 39th and Walnut.
[IMG]IMG_2813 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Any rumors about this?
[IMG]IMG_2818 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:35 PM

Any rumors about this?
[IMG]IMG_2818 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG][/QUOTE]

This project has been rumored about for many years...like the hotel / office building at the parking lot at 34th and Market...Don't expect anything anytime soon...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Any rumors about this?
[IMG]IMG_2818 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
Or, in the absence of rumor, does anyone have any actual information about it?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:47 PM

I think New Market is well on its way up. I was over that way today and it seems to be rising nicely. Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintso View Post
I think New Market is well on its way up. I was over that way today and it seems to be rising nicely. Can anyone confirm?
New Market is the project at the Girard Trust Block at Market between 11th and 12th. They need to demolish the existing building first. I think it will happen. Almost all the business are closed.

What did you see rising? Just curious if there was other development going on nearby. Do you mean the old Shirt Corner at 3rd and Market? I know that's well on its way.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Or, in the absence of rumor, does anyone have any actual information about it?
I wouldn't worry about spreading any rumors about University City development. This lot may be long running speculation but University City is starting to look as much like "downtown" as Center City, and it seems to be a lot better at killing surface lots.

That's a prime corner and any of the universities have the money to develop it. How amazing would it be if Philadelphia landed a signature skyscraper on par with Liberty Place or Comcast west of the Schuylkill??

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
New Market is the project at the Girard Trust Block at Market between 11th and 12th. They need to demolish the existing building first. I think it will happen. Almost all the business are closed.

What did you see rising? Just curious if there was other development going on nearby. Do you mean the old Shirt Corner at 3rd and Market? I know that's well on its way.
I think he's referring to the Toll Brothers project in Society Hill, which is replacing the defunct Newmarket mall that was built there in the '70s:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-property.html

http://www.phillymag.com/tag/newmarket/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:19 PM
BANNED

This is interesting- the condo market is starting to recover. Maybe we will see more proposals for slender hi rises with relatively few units.

http://www.philly.com/philly/classif...off_says_.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
This is interesting- the condo market is starting to recover. Maybe we will see more proposals for slender hi rises with relatively few units.
I'd prefer slender hi rises with relatively many units personally.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:22 PM

One Riverside is turning into a nice project...it will look good on the East bank with the CHOP tower on the other side of the South Street Bridge. Fill up those condos with bored suburbanites!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:09 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
I'd prefer slender hi rises with relatively many units personally.
Give me some Mandeville Place please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development