HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 4:13 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
What is there to the Boyer/Winco site other than a typical suburban style grocery store and parking lot?
There is supposed to be two Multi-family developments that face the S-line, with a parking structure in between. Other than that it's pretty suburban in nature, not much interaction with Main St. It sure as hell is no Market Station.

http://www.slcitynews.com/south-salt...wntown-anchor/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 11:31 PM

Rio Tinto Kennecott to sell Daybreak Community to Värde Partners
JUNE 17, 2016

South Jordan, Utah – Rio Tinto Kennecott has reached an agreement with Värde Partners, a leading investment firm, to sell its land and associated assets in the Daybreak Community. The sale includes approximately 500 finished home sites, 2,500 acres of undeveloped land, the Glass House Information Center, the SoDa Row Retail District, Oquirrh Lake and associated secondary water assets. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“This divestment will facilitate fresh capital to fund Daybreak’s continued growth and expansion, and contribute to Kennecott’s cash flow and flexibility as we streamline our business and focus on mining,” said Nigel Steward, Rio Tinto Kennecott Managing Director. “Daybreak is an exceptional community with tremendous value, and we are confident Värde Partners will continue to move the Daybreak vision forward.”

“Daybreak is an attractive property for Värde Partners. The acquisition of Daybreak directly aligns with our vision for owning top-quality real estate assets,” said Ali Haroon, Partner and Global Head of Real Estate at Värde. “It is a great fit in Värde’s overall real estate strategy, which includes extensive real estate holdings around the globe.”

“We believe in the future of this community and are focused on ensuring that Daybreak will remain a thriving master-planned community. We are excited about growing the community responsibly working alongside the management team,” said Brendan Bosman, Varde’s lead Managing Director on the investment.

The deal is scheduled to close in early summer 2016, upon which certain funds managed by Värde Partners will assume ownership of Daybreak and its associated assets, forming a new company that will continue development and operations of the community. Key members of Daybreak’s current management team will continue with the new venture.

http://www.daybreakutah.com/whats-ha...arde-partners/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 6:56 PM

I'm curious what your guys' thoughts are about the Daybreak sale. Do you think it will help, hinder, or have marginal impact on future development of the site? Without knowing much or doing very much research, I'm guessing it might be for the better given Kennecott's mining struggles. They even allude to it in the briefing that they are doing it to allow them to focus on their mining operations. I was curious if anyone familiar with it has some insight. You know that this briefing is glossed over in optimistic positivity for business reasons, so I wanted to see if anyone could help me read between the lines to see what's really going on. When he said that he thinks the sale will give the Daybreak development more needed cash flow to capitalize projects going forward, that perked my attention. In my experience, cash flow issues are usually the canary in the coal mine (I figured that idiom was appropriate here ). I'd love to hear your thoughts, insight, knowledge on the topic.

Last edited by (Eco)nomy_404; Jun 21, 2016 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Eco)nomy_404 View Post
I'm curious what your guys' thoughts are about the Daybreak sale. Do you think it will help, hinder, or have marginal impact on future development of the site? Without knowing much or doing very much research, I'm guessing it might be for the better given Kennecott's mining struggles. They even allude to it in the briefing that they are doing it to allow them to focus on their mining operations. I was curious if anyone familiar with it has some insight. You know that this briefing is glossed over in optimistic positivity for business reasons, so I wanted to see if anyone could help me read between the lines to see what's really going on. When he said that he thinks the sale will give the Daybreak development more needed cash flow to capitalize projects going forward, that perked my attention. In my experience, cash flow issues are usually the canary in the coal mine (I figured that idiom was appropriate here ). I'd love to hear your thoughts, insight, knowledge on the topic.
Rio Tinto is heavily dependent on iron ore for revenue. The price of iron ore is down like 60% with no signs of a recovery any time soon. Only the most efficient mining companies are going to survive. This was a good move for Rio Tinto and for the future of Daybreak given the current circumstances.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 2:09 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I had no idea the recently completed PETZL Headquarters at Decker was so cool! Just reduce the window down to between 50 and 75%.
I just happened on these while trying to find some decent shots of Lassonde. I'd like to see more of this kind of creative finish mixed in with some of the
materials on the new apartments going up around Salt Lake's Downtown.

Fall/Winter - 2014/2015...For more pics and copy go to:
http://www.archdaily.com/553549/petz...chitects-photo

From the architect. Petzl America just completed their new North American Headquarters in Utah, which is on track for LEED platinum certification. Petzl's business is based
on verticality and light, and the building is a metaphor for these concepts. The overall design incorporates a long list of sustainable features including a roof mounted photo
voltaic array, natural daylight throughout all areas of the building including the distribution warehouse, bioswales on site to capture the rain water from the roof and re-charge
the ground water, a plug-in for electric cars, recycled materials and products purchased within a 500 mile radius of the building's geographical location.

The company has a dog-friendly policy that allows employees to bring their dogs to work, enhancing employee satisfaction for the work place. An exterior dog run was included
in the site design, along with a community garden for employees with raised planting beds. The site is located adjacent to a TRAX stop, and the company encourages employees
to use mass transit to work as well as bike to work. The building design includes a room for interior bike storage and a bike shop for employees to work on their bikes.

Paul Petzl, the founder of the company, along with Roody Rasmussen, Sr. Vice President for Petzl America, visited ancient Peruvian ruins as part of a Petzl Foundation trip, prior
to the start of the design process. The ruins were inspiring, and helped get the creative direction established for the overall design concept. The exterior of the building is clad
with a multi-dimensional GFRC cladding, designed to inspire the sandstone cliffs of southern Utah...

Last edited by delts145; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
13-story Prestige tower located in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. The multi-family condominium building is the first of a planned four-tower mixed-use complex.Construction is expected to begin mid-summer.
https://www.linkedin.com/company/27274

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:35 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Where the hell is that supposed to be, South Valley is pretty vague. Isn't the name of the newest Downtown Sandy pipe dream the Carns?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:38 PM

Thanks for the post Delts. Cool building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 8:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

This is what I eventually see happening with South Towne Centre. I wouldn't be surprised if University Mall (now Place) eventually takes the old enclosed mall area down and continues along the lines of it's urban setting that they are now working on.

Obviously this is what was targeted for the old Cottonwood Mall, and hopefully if the NIMBYS don't win out like they did with downtown Holladay, it will eventually happen.

I would also like to see Valley Fair go more with it's original plan that included housing, break up the mall and create a street grid in there. It would be a great extension of the Fairborne station area that is being created across the street.

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/dea...rawling-suburb

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:15 PM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
These are the kind of apartment buildings we need in the city along 400 S and other areas on the edge of the downtown.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:25 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
These are the kind of apartment buildings we need in the city along 400 S and other areas on the edge of the downtown.
I agree fully and completely with every fiber of my being.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 10:21 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Valley Fair aka Downtown West Valley City

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
This is what I eventually see happening with South Towne Centre. I wouldn't be surprised if University Mall (now Place) eventually takes the old enclosed mall area down and continues along the lines of it's urban setting that they are now working on.

Obviously this is what was targeted for the old Cottonwood Mall, and hopefully if the NIMBYS don't win out like they did with downtown Holladay, it will eventually happen.

I would also like to see Valley Fair go more with it's original plan that included housing, break up the mall and create a street grid in there. It would be a great extension of the Fairborne station area that is being created across the street.

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/dea...rawling-suburb
A couple weeks ago I was on a business trip in Colorado and I stayed at the newly opened Hyatt in the Belmar development (the one talked about in the article linked above). I was blown away at how cool that whole development is. It actually feels like a town center. The streets are built in a grid and are lined with store fronts. Most of the stores there are the type you would traditionally found in a mall but they are on the main road. It actually reminded me a lot of the 'mall portion' of Station Park in Farmington. But instead of being surrounded by a giant sea of parking, there were a few well placed parking garages hidden behind larger buildings. Even the Target had parking on the ground floor and the store above. Besides the parking, the biggest thing I think it had over Station Park is the grid system of the roads that came right off of other main roads. Like i said, it truly feels like a town center organically built in the city, not something where you drive to, park in a massive parking lot, and them walk into the pretend urban area. There are also a ton of apartment buildings surrounding it, with more being built, that increases the walkability of the neighborhood. I would love to see some of our older malls become something like this.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 8:25 PM
Let It Rise!

Future Mayor, I always thought the same thing for old West Jordan on 7800 S and Redwood Road. There are four corners of retail plazas that I thought West Jordan City could turn into a downtown with shops, apartments, businesses and what ever else that makes a downtown. There is also the Trax Station near by and the city hall.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Last edited by ctobsl; Jul 2, 2016 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:52 PM

New Krishna temple coming to Salt Lake City

Quote:
Utahns gathered Sunday to celebrate a groundbreaking for a Krishna temple in Salt Lake City.

According to a news release, the temple at 965 E. 3370 South is being designed by Vaibhavi Devi, who also worked on the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4098919-1...mple-coming-to

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Where the hell is that supposed to be, South Valley is pretty vague. Isn't the name of the newest Downtown Sandy pipe dream the Carns?
The Prestige is one of the developments within the Cairns.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:49 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The Prestige is one of the developments within the Cairns.
Oh yes. Thanks. I can't keep all those names straight Cairns, Procenium, etc blah blah.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Oh yes. Thanks. I can't keep all those names straight Cairns, Procenium, etc blah blah.
Right?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 11:56 AM

Construction begins for Utah's second Krishna temple

http://kutv.com/news/local/construct...krishna-temple

A special groundbreaking ceremony took place for the new Krishna Temple in Millcreek Sunday...Artist renderings show the new temple to be similar in style to the existing structure in Utah County, grand modeling styles already in India. It will be considerably smaller than the current house of worship in Spanish Fork, but its proximity to the majority of the Krishnas along the Wasatch Front is something the faithful say will allow them to be closer to their religion and serve more daily, instead of just making the trip for special festivals.

Construction begins for Utah's second Krishna temple (Photo: Tom Chamberlain/KUTV)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 6:15 PM

Sorry for the last minute notice on this. There is a public hearing for a proposed 114 unit Bldg on 7800 S and Roosevelt in Midvale, that borders the trax station. The meeting is at: 7505 S Holden St, MIdvale at 7 pm tonight. Check out the link and attend if you'd like. I used to like in the neighborhood south of this development and have had some very "interesting" conversations with my former neighbors. They will be showing up in droves to show distain for this project...

My 2 cents on the project, it's a great use of a currently vacant lot and will be a great asset to the community. I wished they'd limit parking to 1 car/unit, but 1.4 is good. The building is tucked up against Center with parking behind (garage and surface) to minimize the impact on the single family homes adjacent. I think the anterior could use some work, but feel it will bring some good development activity to the area.

http://midvalecity.org/Home/Componen...r/Event/128/39

Check out the "7-13-16 PC packet for plans, elevations, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West