HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:55 PM

With all those projects, Charlottetown will overcome Moncton in term of height, I mean nothing more than 8-story (Blue Cross) has been proposed and built in Moncton since the last 20 years.

Great job Charlottetown !

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 3:35 PM

Underground pedway closer to approval

Grafton underground tunnel closer to reality

Charlottetown is one step closer to having an underground pedway running under Grafton Street.
A public meeting on the project was held Wednesday night, phase one in the approval process for the Grafton Street Pedestrian Concourse.
The $2-million tunnel would be built under Grafton Street, linking the Confederation Court Mall and Confederation Centre. Developer Homburg Investments also plans to use elevators and escalators to make the underground link fully accessible.
Cliff Campbell of Homburg said the tunnel would help sell Charlottetown as a conference destination.
Heritage activist Catherine Hennessey was one of the residents offering comments on the project. She said sending people underground would take away from the character of the city.
"I really do believe it's time we looked at our city in a different way and enriched the ambiance of downtown and stopped hiding in tunnels," said Hennessey.
Next, the planning board will make a decision on the project. If the recommendation is to proceed, it will go to city council for final approval.
Construction could be completed by early next year.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Personally, in January or February I wouldn't mind "hiding in a tunnel".

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 6:42 AM

I loved reading about all the new devlopment in Charlottetown. Although I've never been there it sure seems like an interesting city to visit

It just goes to show that even with the overall economy in a slump, business doesn't just come to a screeching halt. Eventually companies will have to start competing again in order to survive and when they do we'll be on our way back up.

Is there any word on the redevlopment of the waterfront mall in Summerside?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 1:52 PM

Question RE: Summerside Waterfront Mall

Jringe01, There hasn't been anything said about the Waterfront Mall
for a very long time. I've seen reports on TV about making the Mall more vibrant to attract tenants but nothing on the expansion. I think the expansion project has either been put on hold or even scraped for that matter. If I hear anything we'll let you know.

And yes, Charlottetown is a nice place to live and visit. It just needs to do something about the empty businesses downtown but that will come as the city takes steps to force the landlords to do something. I don't mean to imply that this is a major problem but it's where these vacant buildings are located. Right in the middle of downtown, where major new construction is taking place right now. If these empty properties were elsewhere, there probably be nothing much said about them. But when a developer comes along and wants to spend $50million on buildings, alot will be said and has been.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 1:19 PM

Smile City votes in favour for underground pedway.

Charlottetown City Council has voted in favour of building a pedway under Grafton Street linking the Confederation Court Mall and the Confederation Centre of the Arts.
There was little opposition to the plan during a public meeting last week, so councillors voted Monday night to support the $2 million tunnel project.
Mall owners Homburg, the company behind the project, said it would increase the number of conferences coming to the city......

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:24 PM

Unhappy City rejects Condo Development

City rejects Condo Development
Request to build 22-unit condominium at 41 and 49-51 Richmond Street with the following variances:
Increase permitted density by 22 % from 18 units to 22;
Increase in height from 39.1 ft. (12 metres) up to 58 ft. (17.8 metres);
Reduce front yard setback on Rochford Street from 7.7 feet (2.3 metres) to 0;
Reduction in rear yard setback from 19.7 ft (6.0 metres) to 0;
Increase flankage yard setback on Richmond Street from 0 to 20 ft. (6 metres);
Consolidate lots.
REJECTED

------------------------------------

The condo development is coming fast and furious. Developers are realizing how nice a setting Charlottetown and it's harbour has. This is one in many attempts to develop condos in the downtown area in the past year. They have to have balance and not reject everything because the primary objective is to revitalize the downtown by having people live there.
To bad but they saw it not fit for this one. I think it may have been the setback which would mean being very close to single residences in the area.

Cheers

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:55 AM

I typically follow the development going on in Charlottetown, here's a shot I took of the one on Fitzroy st that I blogged about a while ago...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 1:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It seems that Charlottetown may be the most active city in the Maritimes right now in terms of downtown development projects.

BTW, welcome jmweb, it's good to have some increased interest in SSP from the Island.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
City rejects Condo Development
Request to build 22-unit condominium at 41 and 49-51 Richmond Street with the following variances:
Increase permitted density by 22 % from 18 units to 22;
Increase in height from 39.1 ft. (12 metres) up to 58 ft. (17.8 metres);
Reduce front yard setback on Rochford Street from 7.7 feet (2.3 metres) to 0;
Reduction in rear yard setback from 19.7 ft (6.0 metres) to 0;
Increase flankage yard setback on Richmond Street from 0 to 20 ft. (6 metres);
Consolidate lots.
REJECTED

------------------------------------

The condo development is coming fast and furious. Developers are realizing how nice a setting Charlottetown and it's harbour has. This is one in many attempts to develop condos in the downtown area in the past year. They have to have balance and not reject everything because the primary objective is to revitalize the downtown by having people live there.
To bad but they saw it not fit for this one. I think it may have been the setback which would mean being very close to single residences in the area.

Cheers
Geeze... That's too bad. I hope the devloper comes back with another proposal.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 2:07 PM

RE: Condo Development

Jringe01, Apparently O'Halleron developers are doing just that, going back to the drawing board.

More to follow on that I'm sure.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 2:10 PM

New convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront

The provincial government is said to be in negotiations with Ottawa to build a convention centre on Lower Queen Street, across from the Delta Prince Edward.
The proposal, The Guardian learned last April, would see a 25,000 square foot convention centre built on land that now houses the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Charlottetown Mayor Clifford Lee says he fully supports the construction of a convention centre. He said it would be a tremendous asset to the city and the province.

More on that.....

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 2:19 PM

Latest Fitzroy St. Picture

Here is the latest on the Fitzroy St. Building..

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 9:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post

The provincial government is said to be in negotiations with Ottawa to build a convention centre on Lower Queen Street, across from the Delta Prince Edward.
The proposal, The Guardian learned last April, would see a 25,000 square foot convention centre built on land that now houses the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Charlottetown Mayor Clifford Lee says he fully supports the construction of a convention centre. He said it would be a tremendous asset to the city and the province.

More on that.....

What would happen to the Coast Guard Base? I'd hate to see it leave the city. There is a need for a Coast Guard presence in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 12:40 PM

RE: New convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront

Hi MonctonRad,

RE: New convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront

Here is the full article which appeared in The Guardian newspaper
Sat, March 14th.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=231730&sc=98

Cheers

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 1:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks braymondg.

I must admit that I am a little dubious about this. I have always been fond of the CCG base on the waterfront. If it were to move, there wouldn't be much left of any form of a working waterfront in the city. Sure, there would be the odd potato boat, tanker and cruise ship but I think the overall character of the waterfront would be significantly impacted by this move.

I also am not sure about the need for a new convention facility for Charlottetown. It seems to me that the current facilities at the Delta hotel are large enough for most small to medium sized conventions. I imagine most larger conventions would bypass Charlottetown in any event. Logistical concerns over travel access to Charlottetown would be significant for a lot of convention planners. There are not that many flights into the Charlottetown Airport. This would tend to limit the marketability of PEI to most major convention business.

I think this is a bad idea.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
What would happen to the Coast Guard Base? I'd hate to see it leave the city. There is a need for a Coast Guard presence in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
You'd think it would be a good idea to have a Coast Guard base on the Bay of Fundy as well, but they're closing the one in Saint John too. Budget cuts strike again...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 11:49 PM

Fitzroy St as of yesterday 28 Mar:

Looks like a neat project, instead of a flat slab they've put some effort into the facade. Kind of a neat streetscape, with the steel and solar panels of the government building, the triangular plaza, the new red brick and glass of this office building, and the Victorians that've been there all along. If they could fill in that carpark behind the Blood Donor Centre it would be even better!

Pretty sleek, that steel and solar panel set up:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This new Homburg building as well as the Jean Camfield Building and the PEI Technology Centre across the street are all very architecturally interesting buildings. Way to go Charlottetown!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:35 PM

Convention centre moves closer to reality for city's waterfront

Convention centre moves closer to reality for city's waterfront
The Guardian

Plans for a multimillion-dollar convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront have moved a step closer to reality.
Sheridan confirms the P.E.I. government has set aside $17 million of its own money for the convention centre. The province hopes that project will be cost-shared by the federal and municipal governments, which means the convention centre could carry a price tag of as much as $50 million.
The provincial government is said to be in negotiations with Ottawa to build the convention centre on Lower Queen Street, across from the Delta Prince Edward.
Sheridan confirmed the province wants to build the convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront.
The proposal, The Guardian learned last April, would see a 25,000-square-foot convention centre built on land that now houses the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
“We’re now in discussions with the federal government with regards to a tourism and convention centre here in Prince Edward Island,” Premier Robert Ghiz said Thursday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces