HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 12:49 AM

Two more roundabouts considered for Charlottetown

Two more roundabouts considered for Charlottetown
CBC News

Charlottetown's Riverside Drive could include two roundabouts as part of a major upgrade, says Transportation Minister Ron MacKinley.

MacKinley said some of the plans for Riverside Drive, a section of the Charlottetown bypass that runs from the Hillsborough Bridge to St. Peter's Road, are already set. It will be widened to four lanes with a berm down the middle.

"This is a very busy section of highway," MacKinley told CBC News Monday.

"There's 24,000 cars going by here a day and sometimes there's more in the summer."

Getting on Riverside Drive can be difficult, particularly at Exhibition Drive and by the energy-from-waste plant. Typically P.E.I. has used traffic lights at locations such as this, but MacKinley said putting two traffic lights so close together doesn't make sense.

"Islanders don't like signals. They're complaining to me about the bypass having too many signals, so we are exploring the idea of roundabouts," he said.

"[I] saw a lot of them when I was in California, saw them when I was in Ireland before, and we are looking at that possibility to see how it's going to work."

MacKinley said roundabouts are safer than intersections because the cars aren't going as fast if there is a collision.

The work on Riverside Drive is expected to begin this spring, with or without the roundabouts. The cost of the $6-million-plus project is being shared by the federal and provincial governments.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 12:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's a bit late in the season to be starting this work don't you think.......It could snow almost anytime now. It could be an instant mudbog.

Also, what's the idea of blocking up both Mount Edward Road and University Avenue at the same time.......That seems like poor planning to me!!!

There will be a lot of traffic diverted to North River Road and perhaps Brackley Point Road......sounds like a nightmare to me!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:01 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I don't know the specifics of this situation, but roundabouts in general are a good way to handle traffic. If they're properly designed, you don't even have to slow down much when using them. They can handle a lot of vehicles, and I'd argue are better to drive on, because you don't get nearly the frustration of a lighted intersection when traffic is heavy and you're forced to wait for a red light. That said, they aren't perfect. they really need to be large enough to handle the volume being put on them. Moreover, you can't have too many streets meeting at a small circle. The Armdale Rotary in Halifax is a pretty good example of that.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:02 AM

Holland College Expansion Underway

Holland College Expansion Underway

The $40-million expansion of the Charlottetown campus of Holland College is well underway. The foundation is now being put in place. Demolition has been completed around the block and the City has approved the closure of Cumberland St. with the request that a pedestrian right of way be made to extend from Kent St. to Grafton St.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:19 AM

Hi All,

MonctonRad,
It's the worst time of the year.....well, they could have done it during the tourist season. They initially put it off due to the Canada Summer Games.
I think they left it too late.
As for the traffic....The road construction will be a nightmare. I live off North River Road and the traffic in the morning and evening is much worse.
At the University Ave location, it's just to widen the area between UPEI and Enman but it will interfere with traffic that's for sure. They plan on finishing it in the Spring.
I was down Mt. Edward Rd to get my wife today and I said to her I might have to use North River Rd to get downtown to where she works. University is out, Mt Edward Rd is out, and it looks like St. Peters Rd will be clogged, Bypass is getting there but not quite done yet. It'll be fun!!

I personally don't have a problem with roundabouts but it's not myself I have to worry about. People can't merge here. It will be very interesting to say the least.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think roundabouts are OK in general but I'm not sure that they would be a good idea on Riverside Drive.........This is part of the city bypass and a lot of tourists will be taken by surprise by this.

The two large traffic circles here in Moncton took some getting used to. The Hall's Creek Circle is OK because it's diameter is large enough that you can enter the circle at speed and it is able to handle large traffic volumes. The other traffic circle at the causeway is an entirely different matter......at rush hour, traffic entering from Wheeler Blvd. can be backed up at least 1/2 km (if not further).

I think roundabouts on Riverside Dr. would be asking for trouble.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:35 AM

Here in the 'Fax the Armdale Roundabout seems to work really well lately. Accidents are down dramatically since the conversion and you don't always have to stop getting into the circle (dependant on what road you're on).

Of course some people still don't know that looking is mandatory before entering the circle ... oh well its like the Windsor St Exchange (you have one hand on the horn and one on the wheel).

The 'Fax is actually in the process right now of installing three more roundabouts with at least another under consideration.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are two new roundabouts in the works here in Moncton too.

I am not opposed to roundabouts, but they are not appropriate in all locations.

I remember once driving in Scotland (outside of Perth), and coming across a junction between two high speed divided motorways. They met at one huge roundabout!! It was pretty hairy....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:28 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The Brits have them down to a science. This one is outside of Swindon and is called the Magic Roundabout. It's actually one large cirtcle surrounded by five smaller ones. The graph is in german, but you still get the idea of the craziness.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
The Brits have them down to a science. This one is outside of Swindon and is called the Magic Roundabout. It's actually one large cirtcle surrounded by five smaller ones. The graph is in german, but you still get the idea of the craziness.

PERFECT!!!

Just what we need on Riverside drive. I would love to see the look on my wife's face going through this one.
Eyes would be closed and she would be holding on for dear life!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:36 PM

Work on new Stratford school on schedule

Work on new Stratford school on schedule
The Guardian

Construction of a new school in Stratford is on schedule and will be completed next fall, Education Minister Gerard Greenan says.
The province is building a new school for grades four to six in Stratford because the current school, Glen Stewart Elementary, is bursting at the seems.
Site work has been completed for the school, which will be built next to Glen Stewart.
“Phase two we’ve done the foundation, the walls are going up and there’s steel arriving next week for the roof,” said Greenan.
“The whole project is on schedule and will be completed by September 2010 for the children.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:47 PM

Holland College gets $4.7million loan

Holland College Receives $4.7million loan

Holland College has received a $4.7 million loan to begin the extension to Glendenning Hall. This will allow the expansion to begin immediately. Originally the expansion was to take place later but this loan has moved the start date up. Construction on this a building and the Applied Sciences building will be ongoing at the same time.

You can see the Glendenning Hall just to the right of the Applied Science Building in this rendering.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 5:29 PM

Proposed New Hotel for Charlottetown

Developer set to deliver on New Hotel
The Guardian

Island developer Tim Banks says Charlottetown needs a “branded’’ hotel and he is ready to deliver.
“I’ve lined up a few people that are in that industry — investor types — they see a market opportunity in Charlottetown,’’ the APM president told The Guardian on Thursday.
Banks is aiming for spring construction with the hotel opening in 2011.
He envisions an 80- to 100-room hotel in either the downtown core or near the Sears department store located on the outskirts of the city.
Banks says so-called branded or loyalty hotels like Hampton Inn or Radisson Hotels are “popping up all over the place’’ in neighbouring cities like Moncton, Saint John and Halifax.
He called the Homburg hotel that is currently being constructed at the Confederation Court Mall “more of a boutique type hotel’’ and says it is time to make room for a branded hotel in the capital city.
“If our tourism product doesn’t freshen up, we are going to fall by the wayside,’’ he said. “Essentially, that is where the marketplace has gone.’’
Banks says he is not getting into the hotel business. He is just paving the way.
“We’re just co-developing here,’’ he said. “We’re helping some well-heeled investors put together a deal. We will not be operating it.’’
Banks says while “it’s a sluggish economy and money is tight,’’ he feels the time is right to build a brand hotel in Charlottetown.
On his blog Wednesday, Banks noted hotels like Courtyard by Marriott and Four Points Sheraton have loyalty programs that tourists “we need’’ can’t use in Charlottetown.
“All these new enterprises bring jobs and investments to the Island and gives potential visitors more choices and it also forces existing operators to reinvest in freshening up their facilities and programs all of which is good for the end users and our tourist industry,’’ writes Banks in his blog.
Local businessman Kevin Murphy, chair of the Tourism Advisory Council, says the city has long been in need of hotel development.
“That has been a weakness in our product in Charlottetown,’’ he said. “From an industry perspective, I always welcome new product and competition.’’
Murphy says the competition from new hotels — Banks’, Holmburg’s and potentially others — should provide impetus to other accommodation businesses to upgrade their product.
He stressed, though, the tourism market needs to grow or the city will be left simply cutting up the accommodation pie into thinner slices.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:29 PM

Way to go Charlottetown!

That's great that Ch'town is getting two new hotels. It will hopefully bring more tourists and new businesses to downtown or out near Sears. Hopefully it will be closer to downtown than that though. Oh, and hopefully they both stay hotels: Montague only has B & Bs, because our three-storey, 40-room hotel was turned into a senior's complex. Can't wait to see the design and/or render of the 'branded hotel.'

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 1:13 AM

Montague Canadian Tire:

Progress on this is coming pretty good. So far, only the Service Canada building has been finished, it has been for a few months now. Canadian Tire is going to start construction soon, I think. At the other end of Montague, there's the newly finished Wellness Centre, a complex with a new rink, walking track, meeting rooms and a huge new library. There's also a state-of-the-art high school under construction to replace the old one downtown. I'll have some pictures up soon.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 7:12 PM

Montague moving on Up!!

Nice to see Montague having a fair share of the construction business. I haven't been to Montague for some time but I'll have to take a look at all this the next time I'm there.

Keep em coming PEI_Guy!!

I'm surprised Canadian Tire didn't think on putting a store in Stratford. I see Stats Canada puts the population at 7083 in 2006. This being 2009 and the home building going on there is fast and furious, the population could now be pushing 8000. Nice to see the East get it first though. All that will make Montague the place to be in Eastern PEI.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 10:20 PM

The only place I'd like to see a roundabout on riverside drive is at the end of the bridge.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 2:03 AM
The good old days are now

^ I think that would be awfully chaotic, especially right off the bridge. IMO, Roundabouts cause more accidents then they prevent.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 2:20 AM

http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/wp-c...etchjuly14.jpg
This is the render of the new Govt. Building on Main Street of Montague. It's almost finished.

Last edited by pei guy; Nov 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM. Reason: mistake

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Nice to see Montague having a fair share of the construction business. I haven't been to Montague for some time but I'll have to take a look at all this the next time I'm there.

Keep em coming PEI_Guy!!

I'm surprised Canadian Tire didn't think on putting a store in Stratford. I see Stats Canada puts the population at 7083 in 2006. This being 2009 and the home building going on there is fast and furious, the population could now be pushing 8000. Nice to see the East get it first though. All that will make Montague the place to be in Eastern PEI.

I don't think Canadian Tire wanted a store in Stratford because it would take a lot of customers away from the one in Ch'town. Also, Stratford has the huge Home Hardware, so there would be heavy competition.

Montague is a priority for them because people from down East don't like driving for 40 minutes to an hour just to buy something at Canadian Tire. This new store will have customers from Montague, Georgetown, Souris and Cardigan, to name a few, and right there is 15,000 people just around the four main towns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces