HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Apple, Amazon, and Mastercard, not a bad list of companies for little ol Vancouver.

Still a few more big names yet to be announced too.
yea, will make some busier areas in the city. The library area now is kinda quiet but with Amazon and apple moving in should boost the area. I wonder if workers will use the stadium station more, it feels a bit closer than Granville does.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Canadian Tourism Commission, known as Destination Canada today, is a Crown Corporation like Farm Credit, and it moved from Ottawa to Vancouver. It was said that this was to capitalized on the 2010 Olympics but everyone knew it was a political decision.

Imperial Oil moved its HQ from Toronto to Calgary.

Costco moved its HQ from Laval to Ottawa.

CP Rail moved to Calgary from Montreal.

CAE flight simulators moved its HQ from Toronto to Montreal.

Alliance Atlantis Vivafilm (not sure if it still exists) moved its HQ from Toronto to Montreal.

Not sure if any of these are surprises though.

Good enough for me. Wasn't aware of any of these.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:34 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Yesterday, from the Globe:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...s-fast-enough/
"Toronto can’t build office towers fast enough

A decade ago, an office landlord might have gone into crisis mode upon learning a tenant as big as Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce was preparing to flee to a new development down the street. But these days, perhaps nothing says more about demand for office space in downtown Toronto than QuadReal Property Group’s response to precisely that scenario.
"

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:17 AM

I'm pretty sure Oxford at 161 Bay and H&R at Atrium on Bay are losing more square footage from CIBC than Commerce Court is. Also seems odd to highlight the development that is probably least likely to happen as the big indicator of the hot office market.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:54 PM

I use the subway like once a year on average. Today I got off at Davisville station for the first time and as I walked up the stairs I saw "TTC Head Office". I had no idea they are headquartered in this plain looking building in mid-town from 1958. I immediately thought that the TTC shouldn't be located in a building that not even a bargain bin personal injury attorney would rent in. It would be a different story if it were renovated.

Any other companies that surprised you in this regard?

All pics from this article from The Star in 2015 except the last one, which I took:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...dquarters.html

Last edited by megadude; Jul 18, 2022 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I use the subway like once a year on average. Today I got off at Davisville station for the first time and as I walked up the stairs I saw "TTC Head Office". I had no idea they are headquartered in this plain looking building in mid-town from 1958. I immediately thought that the TTC shouldn't be located in a building that not even a bargain bin personal injury attorney would rent in. It would be a different story if it were renovated.

Any other companies that surprised you in this regard?

All pics from this article from The Star in 2015 except the last one, which I took:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...dquarters.html

I had a university work term in the mid 80's with the TTC at their Bathurst Street location.
https://goo.gl/maps/fiakib46idJCy1f77 Looks very similar to the location in the 80's. The upper management had their own dining room with waiter service and the rest of the plebs had a cafeteria. Lots of sexism in the workplace then.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 12:34 AM

The TTC is planning to relocate and redevelop their headquarters as it is... lacking, but it's moving at the typical Toronto Bureaucratic pace.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:15 AM

One of my good work friends at a place I spent seven years at told me all kinds of stories of sexist behaviour from back in the day. He said he also briefly crossed paths one day at an office with Paul Bernardo, who was an accountant at one point. He knew something was off with him. Speaking of off, while I was on the subway, a random dude in his 50s dressed in all jogging gear walked by me and tapped on my phone screen, kept walking and then sat down. He got off at the next stop and as he was walking on the platform he stared me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I had a university work term in the mid 80's with the TTC at their Bathurst Street location.
https://goo.gl/maps/fiakib46idJCy1f77 Looks very similar to the location in the 80's. The upper management had their own dining room with waiter service and the rest of the plebs had a cafeteria. Lots of sexism in the workplace then.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:25 AM

They even describe it as a hell hole. And that was in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The TTC is planning to relocate and redevelop their headquarters as it is... lacking, but it's moving at the typical Toronto Bureaucratic pace.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 11:19 AM
video et taceo

I'm sure it is outdated and unfashionable, but I actually like that TTC building's external form. It looks substantial, Yugoslav.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:42 PM

It looks like the type of building that a large bureaucratic government organization would occupy. I like these legacy headquarters as long as they stay up-to-date and functional for the actual people who have to work inside.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:49 PM
sick transit, gloria

That one is a bit extreme based on interior pics, but I've had the pleasure of working in several buildings that are externally quite stylish but... lacking inside. To say the least. Was in leased space at College Park for a number of years and we just downgraded to a much more visually appealing building that feels like it's falling apart inside.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I'm sure it is outdated and unfashionable, but I actually like that TTC building's external form. It looks substantial, Yugoslav.
Agreed, and I like that it's at Davisville Station and not downtown. Feels like it's more on purpose in its location.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:08 PM

This is not the Toronto diamond district/exchange, which is in TD Tower, but this old building is full of diamond/gem/precious metals/jewellery shops or wholesalers or whatever (way more places than listed on the map below). Lots of them in the basement. I've been there twice to have my watch repaired in a basement shop. The lobby and basement, both dark, are probably untouched since the 70s.

All the other shops in the basement are jewellery related with very discrete doors and signs so in that sense, this building makes sense. It's a far cry from a traditional retail jewellery store where you'd want rather fancy digs. If you care just about the gem you're buying then this place is for you. If you want the fancy experience to go with it then go to a shop in Yorkville.

Shouldn't be surprised though because that industry is very secretive. The diamond exchanges in New York and Antwerp look very interesting on the outside. IIRC, the insides can pass as glorified flea markets.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/13...toronto-canada

Last edited by megadude; Jul 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:15 PM
video et taceo

Also classic mid-century boom Toronto, from back when Montreal still made fun of it. Utilitarian engines of its eventual supremacy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:19 PM

Those pink bathroom tiles and terrazzo floors look EXACTLY like the ones you get in late 1950s Florida properties. (Nearly always still intact after ~65 years -- and I personally do not needlessly update what's super well built, so in mine at least, they're staying that way.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Those pink bathroom tiles and terrazzo floors look EXACTLY like the ones you get in late 1950s Florida properties. (Nearly always still intact after ~65 years -- and I personally do not needlessly update what's super well built, so in mine at least, they're staying that way.)
I love terrazo floors. The pink tiles are a bit hard to take, but they're in great shape, considering.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Meanwhile, this is Sportsnet's HO in the Rogers building. Could qualify for Ugly Canada thread depending on your personal tastes.

Also have studio at Peter and King, where The Score was located:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64603...7i13312!8i6656
What a poopy pomo pile

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:29 PM
Look at me!

Rogers building TO vs rogers building MTL. The battle of the uglos.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:34 PM
video et taceo

That guy always ruined the view at McGill College and Ste-Catherine. Just so visibly third-rate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada