HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 1:48 AM

Winnipeg: Dugald Rd. - Plessis Rd. Interchange

Maybe its official, maybe not. Today there was a ceremony taking place at the North-East corner in front of the Transcona BIZ welcome wall. Didn't have time to stop to investigate as to all the hellabaloo, I'm sure I saw Russ's dome outstanding in the crowd. Couldn't tell if he was kissing babies or not.

Let's see it happen, I for one am tired of waiting for endless trains making their slow crossing over Plessis, on the journey across Canada with the China sea-cans lagging behind old surplus U S locomotives that CN allowed Canada to have.

If its a go, expect 4 - 5 years of mud, seat and jeers from the folk that use that roadway on their quest into the City that Sam mortgaged to the hilt. Dig deep people, until it hurts.

Its official.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...160397175.html

Last edited by alittle1; Jun 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:42 AM
Transit Nerd

Shouldn't this be in a constructional thread?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Shouldn't this be in a constructional thread?
Is that constructive criticism? First, you have to have construction, this is still the talking portion.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 5:26 AM

I don't even think we have any design plans on it yet, let alone any construction.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 1:16 PM
What could go wrong?

I posted this in the Chief Peguis Trail tread, now it goes here i guess....

The Plessis Rd underpass is farther along than most people realize. The RFP for Functional Design closed in May.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:52 AM
BANNED

I find it so odd they can build this here and yet cannot build a proper interchange at Dugald and the Perimeter HWY where you deal with Dugald and the Rail Lines. Shouldn't we finish this first?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:39 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I find it so odd they can build this here and yet cannot build a proper interchange at Dugald and the Perimeter HWY where you deal with Dugald and the Rail Lines. Shouldn't we finish this first?
You can say that for every other intersection on the Perimeter Highway, and then they raise a red flag and say "oh no no no no no! That's way too expensive!"

Having said that, you can say the same thing to our Inner Ring network via the transportation master plan.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Dugald and the Perimeter HWY is a strange location for cost sharing.

It's both an intersection to 2 major highways and is also on the dividing line of Winnipeg and the RM of Springfield.

To build this one I don't know if it would be all Highways dept money or if both the City and RM would have to chip in as well. CN would probably also be involved as I am sure their main line would be impacted.

It only takes one of the parties above to say no we can't afford it and nothing gets done.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Dugald and the Perimeter HWY is a strange location for cost sharing.

It's both an intersection to 2 major highways and is also on the dividing line of Winnipeg and the RM of Springfield.

To build this one I don't know if it would be all Highways dept money or if both the City and RM would have to chip in as well. CN would probably also be involved as I am sure their main line would be impacted.

It only takes one of the parties above to say no we can't afford it and nothing gets done.
I do not believe the RM's have any input to the Perimeter HWY, if it were on the other side of the floodway, maybe. But this was suppose to be done 3 years ago, thus why we had a detour, which is still their in place to they could build an over pass. The Rail line is the same Rail line that would be impacted at the Plessis/Dugald junction.

I just see all the growth in the newer transcona industrial section on the east side and the houseing growth and wonder why they think Plessis needs it. Ah well not like anything makes sense in this city when it comes to roads.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I do not believe the RM's have any input to the Perimeter HWY, if it were on the other side of the floodway, maybe. But this was suppose to be done 3 years ago, thus why we had a detour, which is still their in place to they could build an over pass. The Rail line is the same Rail line that would be impacted at the Plessis/Dugald junction.

I just see all the growth in the newer transcona industrial section on the east side and the houseing growth and wonder why they think Plessis needs it. Ah well not like anything makes sense in this city when it comes to roads.
The Plessis underpass is part of the grand plan to link up the Chief Pegius trail to the south east part of Winnipeg via the still to be built Edward Schreyer Parkway, then connecting on to Regent Ave and Plessis south.

I wonder if we will ever see in our lifetime something done with the CP mainline crossing at Plessis Rd and Gunn RD. The only good thing with this mainline crossing is they are not slowing down to rail yard speeds like I see happen on the CN crossing to the south.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 6:02 PM

Quote:

Bluenote, nice to see a new face and opinion.

Just for your information,the dividing line between Spgringfield and COW is:

W/s Murdock Rd. is CoW, E/s Springfld. N/s Dugald is CoW (Cargill elevator), S/s Dugald is Sprgfld. W/s Ravenhurst is CoW, E/s is Sprngfld (HiQual Mfg.).
Up to the bungalow on the east side of the road and then dividing lines goes East to the Perimeter Hwy.

The intersection of PTH 15 and the Perimeter is all Springfield. The Railway and Springfield played no part in the re-construction, it was all the Provence of Manitoba.

IF the Plessis and Dugald interchange is ever built, watch the stupidity that follows when they try to join Dugald Rd. east to the Perimeter. Pure bullocks!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:41 PM

i heard (but not confirmed) that there are 3 gas lines that run parrallel to the tracks that need to be re-located that no one was aware of causing price to go up up up. One of the gas lines is Jet fuel?

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i heard (but not confirmed) that there are 3 gas lines that run parrallel to the tracks that need to be re-located that no one was aware of causing price to go up up up. One of the gas lines is Jet fuel?
Correct about the jet fuel. Not sure regarding the price or if they were unknown.

As far as I've heard (this week) the budget is within $77M.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets have been out of fuel for some time. Now that we know where the 'jet fuel gas line' is, perhaps someone should get them fuelled up.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Liquid petroleum product pipelines carry all products. Product deliveries are separated by a all-compatible base stock and are indicated (beginning and end) by a small radioactive charge.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Liquid petroleum product pipelines carry all products. Product deliveries are separated by a all-compatible base stock and are indicated (beginning and end) by a small radioactive charge.
Interesting, didn't know that. Always wondered how that worked, specifically diesel vs premium vs regular. Didn't think they would have one pipeline for each product.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:47 PM

There are two lines that come from the Edbridge pipeline/tank farm in Gretna and cross the rail tracks on the east side. One turns west on the north side of the tracks and feeds the Shell tank farm and the other runs all the way through Transcona to the the Esso tank farm in East St. Paul.

I have never heard of a dedicated jet fuel line as these are the same two lines that were also impacted in the Floodway expansion and there was no mention of jet fuel then.

As there is a big valve station and the crossing markers required by law next to the tracks I don't think that the existence of the pipelines was a surprise.

It may be that the pipeline company came in with a cost to move the pipes and valve station that was more than the underpass consultants estimated.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 3:30 PM

Why wouldn't they just build an overpass which goes over Dugald as well? No gas lines to move and you wouldn't even have to move or alter the train tracks (like the center port way CPR overpass).

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Why wouldn't they just build an overpass which goes over Dugald as well? No gas lines to move and you wouldn't even have to move or alter the train tracks (like the center port way CPR overpass).
Goes over Dugald? One of the main traffic issues is cars coming from Dugald turning to Plessis being held up by passing trains

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
You know why? Everybody's going to love this one.

Russ Wyatt strong armed this down city halls throat. Stood on the side of the tracks and made a big scene. The budget is set at $77M not a penny more. The overpass is the ideal option and the city agrees.

The kicker? To build a rail overpass and parclo at Dugald would bring the cost up over the $77M budget. I won't go into specifics. There's no more money for this project and it needs to be at substantial completion by October 2014. Going to be tight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan