HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:16 AM

Alexandra Bridge replacement | Proposed

The Alexandra Bridge is going to be closed from June of this year until June of 2020 for repairs to slightly prolong it's lifespan, but it's slated for replacement in the next decade or two. The pilings themselves are structurally unsound so a refurbishment is unlikely and a complete replacement will likely be the only option. I would shed more than a few tears watching that bridge come down but at the same time I ponder the opportunities for a landmark feature bridge in Ottawa that could become a signature of the city. I would rather keep the existing bridge of course but if that's not possible then I wonder what could replace it... Modern LED lighting features and modern design... What do you guys think?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:38 AM

So both Alexandra bridge and Chaudiere crossing will be closed this summer. Should be fun.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The Alexandra Bridge is going to be closed from June of this year until June of 2020 for repairs to slightly prolong it's lifespan, but it's slated for replacement in the next decade or two. The pilings themselves are structurally unsound so a refurbishment is unlikely and a complete replacement will likely be the only option. I would shed more than a few tears watching that bridge come down but at the same time I ponder the opportunities for a landmark feature bridge in Ottawa that could become a signature of the city. I would rather keep the existing bridge of course but if that's not possible then I wonder what could replace it... Modern LED lighting features and modern design... What do you guys think?
My money is the Heritage nazis insist on a copy of the current bridge.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:37 AM
BANNED

These old, ugly iron train bridges are a dime a dozen. This is a perfect place for a landmark bridge worthy of a capital city. That said, it should be fun watching the heritage crusaders, the nimbys and the government conspire to screw this opportunity up.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 11:33 AM

Please don’t call people Nazis unless you’re talking about actual Nazis. There’s enough of that in the world right now, thank you very much.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Please don’t call people Nazis unless you’re talking about actual Nazis. There’s enough of that in the world right now, thank you very much.
Lol calling everyone nazis is listed in the “when all else fails” section of the liberal playbook.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Ditch View Post
These old, ugly iron train bridges are a dime a dozen. This is a perfect place for a landmark bridge worthy of a capital city. That said, it should be fun watching the heritage crusaders, the nimbys and the government conspire to screw this opportunity up.
We see more of the brown (PoW) and green (Chaudière, Lady Aberdeen) versions. Silver ones are a rare breed.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Completely agree. If it needs to be replaced in full, I'd like to see a lighter, modern design that opens up the views. The new bridge should incorporate a lot of metal, as an homage to the old Alexanrda and not just another concrete monstrosity, or replica of the current structure.

More importantly, this should start up a new conversation about mobility between the two cities, but we have other threads for that conversation. As for this bridge, does it need to have space for cars or should it be exclusively reserved for transit and active transportation?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We see more of the brown (PoW) and green (Chaudière, Lady Aberdeen) versions. Silver ones are a rare breed.
ffs

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
ffs
Why? Just stating a fact.

I won't be one of the people fighting to save the bridge or ask for a replica. If the experts say it needs to come down, then it needs to come down. As I stated before, should the bridge be replaced, the new one needs to reflect modern times. That's also my position on the Château Laurier expansion.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Lol calling everyone nazis is listed in the “when all else fails” section of the liberal playbook.
Not sure how this is a liberal or conservative issue. Perhaps save those kind of responses for the comment section of the National Post.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:29 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The Alexandra is more than just a "colour version". it's far more complex than simpler truss bridges like the Chaudiere or the PoW. It has intricately designed joints that make it quite unique. If you examine it closely, the contrasting forms of the compression and tension elements are beautiful:

historicbridges.org

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:06 PM

Is the boardwalk staying open? Or is it a complete shutdown?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:11 PM
Still optimistic

As the bridge needs to be replaced down to the very core of its supports, I'd imagine that keeping any part of it up - let alone open - will not be possible. It would be interesting if the federal government were to subsidize the summer pedestrian ferry as a replacement during at least part of the year. I wonder how much such a measure would cost.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:12 PM
Still optimistic

On another thread, someone posted a photoshop of a modern bridge over the Alexandra, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone repost?

EDIT: found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
As sad as I would be to see the Alexandra go, there is definitely some potential for an iconic bridge here. This is the Erasmus bridge in Rotterdam stitched in:

Edit by me but with photos from here and here

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:59 PM
BANNED

I’m sure we’ll end up buying a pre-owned refurbished bridge off one of our allies. It’s the Canadian way.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 12:34 AM

vintage hot take.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
On another thread, someone posted a photoshop of a modern bridge over the Alexandra, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone repost?

EDIT: found it
that style of bridge doesn't suit the area. It would be more of an eyesore than anything. Whenever the new bridge gets built should be built to accommodate lrt and it should also blend well to the area.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
Is the boardwalk staying open? Or is it a complete shutdown?
Yes, pedestrian and cycling access will be maintained. Per:

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias...index-eng.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
that style of bridge doesn't suit the area. It would be more of an eyesore than anything. Whenever the new bridge gets built should be built to accommodate lrt and it should also blend well to the area.
Hmmm...a little of me is with you but most of me is against you. What does 'blend well to the area' really mean? We should build a bridge that matches our logging town roots? Or should we juxtapose and build something that matches our cosmopolitan G7 Capital aspirations... I'm going to go with the latter. I think we should build something avante garde that could become the keystone of the cities rebirth. The timing is excellent for such a thing, with 45-65 story buildings going up. This bridge will be central to the most iconic views in Canada's Capital. Right now, with the exception of Parliament Hill itself, those views are underwhelming. I don't think people around the world have an image of Ottawa in their head...in fact, I don't think people in Canada have an image of Ottawa in their head aside from the Peace Tower. We don't have a notable skyline and there is nothing visually striking aside from the hill. This new bridge could create a view plane that, along with the new skyline, could imprint this city in the eyes of the world. What do you think of when you think of Toronto? The CN tower and the forest of buildings. Instantly. Montreal? Mont Royal with the Skyline in the foreground. Vancouver? The island of towers with the mountains in the background. New York City? The Brooklyn Bridge with downtown in the background. Chicago? The loop with all the bridges and buildings alongside. Singapore? Marina Bay Sands with the skyline in the background. London? The Tower Bridge with the skyline in the background. You get my point. There is an opportunity here. A huge opportunity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation