Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 7:22 PM
Great White Norf

I like Simons. I wish Hamilton or Niagara had one
Congrats Halifax on becoming a bigger city with bigger city retail

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I don't think it's understocked, they just don't overstock like some stores do. With data collection it's very easy for them to understand their customers and what sells and what doesn't.
Perhaps but then they should merchandise accordingly.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 2:06 AM

Freddy's is an American Burger chain that is rapidly expanding in the states, they will be expanding to Canada in 2024 with 5 locations in Alberta.

Freddy's Signs Second Development Agreement in Canada

Quote:
The brand, known for its signature combination of craveable menu items, including cooked-to-order steakburgers, shoestring fries and freshly churned frozen custard treats, opened more than 60 new locations in 2023. Freddy's looks to maintain a high level of growth across the United States and aims to bring the Freddy's footprint to more than 800 units by 2026.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...823840910.html

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 3:02 AM

I truly am blown away by just how many fast food chain restaurants there are. And the effort that goes into expansion. It's a lot of time, money and effort. So many take ground leases for 20+ years and build their standalone store somewhere at the cost of who knows what. And the time and beauracracy is something else. Takes forever to get site plan agreements and building permits, etc.

And it really amazes me how people are willing to line up at the latest joint to open up. It's a long list, but here's an example in Kitchener from a couple of years ago.

I laugh when people line up for things like this. And I'm amazed by how much people are willing to spend on food. But, in many ways it's a good thing. Keep the economy buzzing along.

https://www.therecord.com/news/water...7890e95f0.html

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:27 AM
Great White Norf

When I was in my 20s I loved trying the hyped up chains. Tried White Castle in the Aughts, Chick-fil-A back in 2007, Chipotle in 2009, Whataburger in 2011, In-N-Out burger finally in 2019

Now that I'm older I try to find the best mom and pops, pubs with the best quality food for the price. Most chains are a total rip off in inflationary times of 2024

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:14 AM

Considering how much a single burger costs from a common fast food chain these days, I tend to agree that I might as well get it from a mom and pop store. Preferably from somewhere like Johnny's, which is a Scarboro institution. Sure, it looks like a relic, but if that keeps the prices down then so be it. It's not gourmet, but people swear by it. For those prices, it's hard to argue. Prices shown are from 5 months ago.

Sonny's in Brampton is another one of these places. Prices from 2 months ago.

Eli HB

snagit

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I truly am blown away by just how many fast food chain restaurants there are. And the effort that goes into expansion. It's a lot of time, money and effort. So many take ground leases for 20+ years and build their standalone store somewhere at the cost of who knows what. And the time and beauracracy is something else. Takes forever to get site plan agreements and building permits, etc.

And it really amazes me how people are willing to line up at the latest joint to open up. It's a long list, but here's an example in Kitchener from a couple of years ago.

I laugh when people line up for things like this. And I'm amazed by how much people are willing to spend on food. But, in many ways it's a good thing. Keep the economy buzzing along.

Remember the Popeyes that opened in Halifax a year or two ago and how there was a lineup of cars that went quite a ways down a road? I thought that was really strange for a chain that isn't really very exciting in my opinion. We had a Popeyes open in Timmins a few months ago and there may have been 9 or 10 vehicles in the drive-thru at one point during the first week it was open but there just wasn't the craziness you saw in Halifax.

I agree that you can do better these days for fast food at locally-owned independent places. The chains seem to have had an annual inflation rate of 10-15% over the last few years.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Remember the Popeyes that opened in Halifax a year or two ago and how there was a lineup of cars that went quite a ways down a road? I thought that was really strange for a chain that isn't really very exciting in my opinion. We had a Popeyes open in Timmins a few months ago and there may have been 9 or 10 vehicles in the drive-thru at one point during the first week it was open but there just wasn't the craziness you saw in Halifax.

I agree that you can do better these days for fast food at locally-owned independent places. The chains seem to have had an annual inflation rate of 10-15% over the last few years.
Might have something to do with Timmins being 10 times smaller than Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:54 PM

Happy to see Simons is doing so well. Very rare that a department store of all types of stores is thriving. They do a good job at selling items that appeal to the younger generations (as opposed to HBC) and taking on local culture in their store designs, and what they sell too (for example, the Ottawa and Gatineau stores apparently sell very different items).

Quote:
Freddy's is an American Burger chain that is rapidly expanding in the states, they will be expanding to Canada in 2024 with 5 locations in Alberta.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...823840910.html

Video Link
Oh my! I want those burgers!!

Quote:
Considering how much a single burger costs from a common fast food chain these days, I tend to agree that I might as well get it from a mom and pop store. Preferably from somewhere like Johnny's, which is a Scarboro institution. Sure, it looks like a relic, but if that keeps the prices down then so be it. It's not gourmet, but people swear by it. For those prices, it's hard to argue. Prices shown are from 5 months ago.
Trick is to buy the smallest burgers. At A&W, the buddy burgers are relatively cheap. Same with McDonald's Cheese Burger and small fry. If my math is still right, you can get more bang for your buck buying multiples of those over the big boys.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:09 PM

Unique to Alberta. Burger Baron. Most small towns have one. And My go to place in those towns that have them.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26598546/
https://burgerbaronmovie.com/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:34 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

Sonny's in Brampton is another one of these places. Prices from 2 months ago.
In 2024 those prices are very reasonable.
Which place has better burgers?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:

Those burgers look amazing! Wider, flatter crispier patties is the way to go rather than tall/thick what I call "pub style" burgers.

Are they called "steakburgers" from the cuts of beef they use?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:08 PM

I've been to Johnny's once, back in 2017. The portion size reminded me a lot of Harvey's back in the early 90s, those were big burgers.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Trick is to buy the smallest burgers. At A&W, the buddy burgers are relatively cheap. Same with McDonald's Cheese Burger and small fry. If my math is still right, you can get more bang for your buck buying multiples of those over the big boys.
Yeah, I only buy value menu or kids menu at McDs, BK, A&W, Harveys and Wendy's. And promo stuff at KFC. A Mcdouble and small fries is enough for me.

But when they have promos or coupons like Dave's single right now for four bucks, it's hard to resist. Had it twice in the past two weeks. No side either. That's enough to satisfy my hunger. Won't be full, but fills me up eough. I've been watching my portions for many months now. A&W has two dollar teen burger on Leafs game days. Had that four or five times the past few weeks. But they only have one fries options and it's four bucks. So still a cheap meal, but not super cheap.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
In 2024 those prices are very reasonable.
Which place has better burgers?
Been many years since I've had either. Haven't lived in Brampton for over a decade now and Johnny's in Scarbs is out of the way. Though I was one block away from there last summer but already had lunch.

The only times I went to either was after the club or bar. Open late and good spot for late night munchies on a budget.

Those burgers at Freddy's look more appealing to me than the charcoal type burgers. Similar looking to the one I had at Carl's Jr. when I was in the US. Same for one I had at Culver's in the US. I would definitely try Freddy's because it looks good, but not going out of my way and not going to line up like those people. Though often those types of burgers are pretty greasy. Actually, also had a similar one at Burlington Beach two summers ago. And wasn't all that expensive. I was pleasantly surprised.

I tried White Castle when in Columbus, OH for the novelty of it (I saw the two stars of the movie getting Shawarma ahead of us Downtown TO after the club). Let's just say I hope they don't come to Canada because I will throw up just from passing by one. Not one of the four of us finished what we ordered. Really cheap though. Which explains the clientele that was in there with us that night. Girl ahead of us was loudly talking on her phone about her parole for everyone to hear.

Still haven't tried Jollibees. Also looks disgusting to me like White Castle, but I keep saying I need to try chicken fingers or something at least. Most definitely not their spaghetti, which looks horrifying and just doesn't feel right from a fast food place.

And yesterday I saw a tiktok video about a Toronto guy who gets food all over the place. He drove to Arby's in Burlington for fake looking roast beef and fake looking ham sandwiches. I used to get those when I lived in Burlington. And my friend is right across the street from there. But now I will only get those spicy curly fries. Don't know why nowhere else has them! I also got them in Iowa.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 26, 2024 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I only buy value menu or kids menu at McDs, BK, A&W, Harveys and Wendy's. And promo stuff at KFC. A Mcdouble and small fries is enough for me.

But when they have promos or coupons like Dave's single right now for four bucks, it's hard to resist. Had it twice in the past two weeks. No side either. That's enough to satisfy my hunger. Won't be full, but fills me up eough. I've been watching my portions for many months now. A&W has two dollar teen burger on Leafs game days. Had that four or five times the past few weeks. But they only have one fries options and it's four bucks. So still a cheap meal, but not super cheap.
I have a the $2 deal at A&W as well and you can also get the Mozza Burger as well for the same price. They still have $2.00 hot specialty beverage of any size so I got a large chai latte. I think their coffee is also cheaper than usual and it's to complete with Tim's roll up the virtual rim. I added a hash brown as a side since it cost less than fries and is something I prefer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:32 PM

I've never been so appreciative of the fact that the Leafs play like every other day

I've been googling their schedule, not because I care about them, but because I want more cheap burgers!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:43 PM

Montreal will get a proper Appele Store flagship in a few months in this 3-storey 1896 building on Sainte-catherine street, just across the street from the Olgilvy-Holt Renfrew store.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 9:20 PM
Mooderator

Quote:

I went to the Chick-fil-A when it opened in Fargo a few years ago. Same kind of deal - massive curiosity. I imagine there is no line up there today.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:36 AM

this store is expanding into Canada, well Ontario with 5 stores. It looks more Alberta than Ontario though.

US-Based Women’s Fashion Brand Windsor Announces First 5 Canadian Stores, Plans National Expansion [Interviews]
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...nadian-stores/

is the cowboy look big in Toronto?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada