Two new tenants coming to the Houghton Town Center (Houghton Road and Old Vail Road). Currently the center has a Walmart, Panda Express, and a Discount Tire. The center will get a Brake Masters, to open sometime in 2015. The big news though is that the first free-standing Emergency Room in the Tucson are is set to open late in 2015 in the Houghton Town Center. I've long thought that a hospital was needed on the southeast side, as the closest to the fast-growing area is St. Joe's on Wilmot, just north of Broadway. Though this isn't a full hospital, obviously an ER there could help save lives. Here's the article (not sure when it was written): http://realestatedaily-news.com/tag/...print=pdf-page
Also, while on the subject of Houghton Rd., as some, if not all of you know, the intersection of Houghton and Broadway is now widened and opened, and the project is just beginning widening Houghton from Broadway to 22nd Street. Also, of course, the Houghton widening project is complete and opened from Irvington to Valencia. It appears the last of the southern projects will start next year. According to an AZ Daily Star article from August 25, 2014, (http://tucson.com/news/local/road-ru...8080515c9.html
) three segments will be started next year.
"Pieces of Houghton currently being done, or still in the works, include:
- Irvington to Valencia is about done, needing just some signage and small erosion protection additions after the rains.
- The Houghton/Broadway intersection is about 80 percent done.
- The Houghton/Broadway Park and Ride project will begin Sept. 4.
- Broadway to 22nd Street utilities are being relocated for an anticipated October start to construction.
- The bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad is expected to start construction in June 2015.
- The bridge to I-10 is 80 percent designed, and also expected to start construction in June 2015.
- Funding for Valencia to Old Vail/Mary Ann Cleveland Way was just approved, with construction slated for April of 2015."