HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:12 AM

Hey :) I'm a Canadian interested in moving to Australia

Hey, I'm a Canadian university student in Toronto & I'm really interested in moving to Australia to live in the future (all the beaches, diving, Aussie hotties:nuts:, etc etc etc, and Australian cities look so beautiful!).

My major of study is Medical Radiation Sciences-specialize in diagnostic ultrasonography. I did some research online & it seemed like the salaries they offer in Australia for sonographers are quite high, about 45-65$/hr or 85-125K/yr (, some also provide relocation fees & transportation packages. So is it really like that? (I actually saw an gov't job ad for "sonographer(trainee)", the salary provided was 48k-78k...they actually pay THAT much for a trainee? in Canada, I have to PAY the hospital big bucks to do my clinical practicum...)

Furthermore, in Toronto, if I'm making about 80k CAD$ p.a. (80k CAD=84.5K AUS$. sonographers don't make that much in Canada, starting is 27$+, goes up to 40 and that's it), I would be considered as a mid-middle class earner (50k-60k low-middle class/70-90k mid-middle class/100-1x0k high-middle class), so what's the situation's like in Australia (in big cities like Sydney, Mel, Bis)? I also heard the utilities & cars are more expensive than in Canada, but foods & other commodities are cheaper (b/c in Ontario, they add 14% tax after you buy stuff...), is that true?

I also checked out the real estate market in Sydney online, the houses looked very nice (although small), a lot of them looked like vacation homes:nuts:. My family is also planning to take a vacation next next winter (when it's winter in Canada of course) to Australia.

ps: thank you for your replies :lol:
btw, anybody working in the health care field?

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:52 AM

yes,Ima brain surgon in dalas texas

not really though ,Ill tell mocholate to get his lazy butt down here and tell ya about it. he lives outside sydney.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 12:15 AM

hey thanks

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 1:19 AM
of Canada

This is a British Expat forum. So you may not find Canadian specific issues covered but there is still some interesting discussions here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 3:41 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlyyl View Post
Hey, I'm a Canadian university student in Toronto & I'm really interested in moving to Australia to live in the future (all the beaches, diving, Aussie hotties:nuts:, etc etc etc, and Australian cities look so beautiful!).

My major of study is Medical Radiation Sciences-specialize in diagnostic ultrasonography. I did some research online & it seemed like the salaries they offer in Australia for sonographers are quite high, about 45-65$/hr or 85-125K/yr (, some also provide relocation fees & transportation packages. So is it really like that? (I actually saw an gov't job ad for "sonographer(trainee)", the salary provided was 48k-78k...they actually pay THAT much for a trainee? in Canada, I have to PAY the hospital big bucks to do my clinical practicum...)

Furthermore, in Toronto, if I'm making about 80k CAD$ p.a. (80k CAD=84.5K AUS$. sonographers don't make that much in Canada, starting is 27$+, goes up to 40 and that's it), I would be considered as a mid-middle class earner (50k-60k low-middle class/70-90k mid-middle class/100-1x0k high-middle class), so what's the situation's like in Australia (in big cities like Sydney, Mel, Bis)? I also heard the utilities & cars are more expensive than in Canada, but foods & other commodities are cheaper (b/c in Ontario, they add 14% tax after you buy stuff...), is that true?

I also checked out the real estate market in Sydney online, the houses looked very nice (although small), a lot of them looked like vacation homes:nuts:. My family is also planning to take a vacation next next winter (when it's winter in Canada of course) to Australia.

ps: thank you for your replies :lol:
btw, anybody working in the health care field?

I am an australian guy wanting to move to Canada
so how about you marry me, so i can live in Canada
and you can live in Australia?

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallo View Post
I am an australian guy wanting to move to Canada
so how about you marry me, so i can live in Canada
and you can live in Australia?
lol but im a guy too

anyways, as long as i have a job in Aus, I can become a permanent rez easily
same as you

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:26 AM
nuttin

Yes it is the lucky country !- we have absolutely nothing to whinge about.
i.e Low crime , we have no major natural disasters occur, 30 degree summers and 15 degree winters (celcius.average temps) most pride themselves on their cultural tolerance and acceptance.

I don't know if you mean 'small houses' or small lots', The average lot size would be around 1/4 acre but in newly developed zones the yard space is minimal and around 1/6 acre. The houses are just minimal also . We don't utilise Attic and basement spaces and are generally 1 storey.

In my opinion if you are 'genuinely' homeless in this country it would only be because you have suffered a major inconvenience to your earning ability through injury or some other very unfortunate circumstance.

Sydney housing is quite expensive , A 3 bedroom house in the cheapest suburb will cost no less than $300 000, with an average of about $500 000(Sydney wide).
Finding a rental property is a nightmare and some vendors even hold an auction to let the property to the highest bidder.
The average wage is about $60 000 gross.

For comparison:
Petrol is currently around $1.50 per litre
Cigarettes $11 / 25 pack
Popular family sedan - $30 000-$40 000

On standard 'job search assist' welfare payments you score $220 per week

Then there's the babes...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:51 PM

From those I've met, Canadians fit in very nicely here in Australia. We don't normally get many though.

The wage to livning cost ratio here is essentially the same as Canada.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 2:26 AM
BANNED

I too am a Canadian interested in moving to the land downunder someday. It's just a question of when, and where.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 8:18 AM

Is the wage to cost of living close between Canada and Australia then? What about the US?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 11:58 PM

I have lived in Canada (Toronto) and yeah the lifestyles (other than weather) are not overly different... Aussies are less polite than Canadians from my travels... cost of living is more $$$ here but in most cases - your salary should cover that...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 2:16 PM

I'm originally from Canada. Lived in Australia from 2008-2010 and again since 2013. In general, the cost of living is significantly higher and salaries somewhat lower, so you will take a hit in terms of disposable income. Aussies generally work fewer hours so it does balance out to some extent. The beaches and weather clinch the deal.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:17 AM
BANNED

Question 3: what is your choice?
A: exciting
C: boring

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:57 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlyyl View Post
lol but im a guy too

anyways, as long as i have a job in Aus, I can become a permanent rez easily
same as you
Guys have been getting legally married all over Canada for over a decade now dude. News flash!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:15 AM

dude.. responding to a 7 year old post?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 6:19 AM

Super supportive. I support your plan.

Australia is indeed more interesting and exciting than Canada, really really really. Some major cities even better U.S. ones.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia