HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 6:06 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sorry, the City Council seems to think that downtown Sacramento isn't ready for housing.
Confusing personal opinion with market conditions again?

Sacramento Commons was approved and should be underway shortly, and the condos at the top of the DOCO tower are clearly under construction (maybe even the Metropolitan some day?). Also, the State still owns a whole lot of those empty lots downtown, there are few locations/property owners willing to sell for large residential projects, and there are still projects being proposed/approved/built surrounding the central core. All this activity, whether adjacent to the core or in midtown proper, will only help to make more projects viable and land becomes scarcer.

So, while downtown isn't seeing the volume of residential projects that midtown has been seeing, suggesting that the City isn't supportive of housing downtown is intellectually dishonest at best.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 6:09 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Speaking of Mohanna, maybe the K street towers could be next?

http://www.mohannadevelopment.com/#!...nprojects/ctzx
Well, only if the Kings are willing to sell or partner for the 800 block (not sure why they show the 700 block either). Capitol Grand Tower would be a nice blast from the past though.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Confusing personal opinion with market conditions again?

Sacramento Commons was approved and should be underway shortly, and the condos at the top of the DOCO tower are clearly under construction (maybe even the Metropolitan some day?). Also, the State still owns a whole lot of those empty lots downtown, there are few locations/property owners willing to sell for large residential projects, and there are still projects being proposed/approved/built surrounding the central core. All this activity, whether adjacent to the core or in midtown proper, will only help to make more projects viable and land becomes scarcer.

So, while downtown isn't seeing the volume of residential projects that midtown has been seeing, suggesting that the City isn't supportive of housing downtown is intellectually dishonest at best.
He's just butt-hurt that they didn't grant his stupid appeal.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
^
Another building that will never get built. Sigh.
Well, it is Moe...his performance record certainly doesn't match his ego.

However, I read this is an entirely self-funded project - no banks required? If relying on banks and other investors is not part of the project's funding, maybe this has more chance than other proposals?

Also, it crams 173 units into one 11-story building. I presume the housing costs will be lower and appeal to those who really want to live in the central city. I wouldn't count it out completely.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...roject-in.html

Just waiting for wburg to file an appeal.
This is where the former Metro electronic store was, across from Starbucks. I'm happy to see J Street finally following in 16th street's footsteps. These arterials are the perfect location for midrises.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 9:45 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
However, I read this is an entirely self-funded project - no banks required? If relying on banks and other investors is not part of the project's funding, maybe this has more chance than other proposals?
Only way you do this is if you can't get a loan. If you can't get a loan, it's a bad project. No sane person self-funds real estate development...the returns are just too low without leverage.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 6:41 PM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:49 AM
Here we stAy

Interesting idea, but I'd rather see it on the other side of North B Street and help to bridge the gap even more up to Township 9. That would be a huge boost to the River District.

Of course, this is all assuming Sacramento is even on any kind of actual list for the museum.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:03 AM

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/...e90909772.html

Any policy changes the city can do to stop crap like this from slowing down projects and making them overall more expensive?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:42 AM

Quote:

Any policy changes the city can do to stop crap like this from slowing down projects and making them overall more expensive?
Seriously. I saw a glimmer of hope in the Sacramento Business Journal, with an interview with the mayor elect on 7/15/2016:

SBJ: What economic proposals do you think you will be able to act on upon entering office?

STEINBERG: “Among the very first things that I must do when I get sworn into office is bring in to City Council a series of permit-streamlining and other economic incentive proposals. I don’t know what those proposals will be exactly.

“(For permitting), the frustrating thing is that there can be long delays and there isn’t sufficient one-stop shopping. I want to look at all this seriously and suggest to the City Council when people have a good project, that there is prompt attention being paid, and they aren’t shipped from pillar to post in terms of getting what they need to begin construction. I want the city to be nimble. I want it to be staffed in a way that allows us to move quickly.”

Not sure if/how this would affect the suit in this case, but it sounds like a good mindset to push things through the bureaucratic paper battles in this city.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:42 AM

Quote:

Gosh I wonder who could be behind this???

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimmons View Post
Gosh I wonder who could be behind this???
That is so disappointing. I really hope Steinberg can work something to avoid this type of nonsense. The chance to voice opinion and review is over, this was approved by city leadership. We heard your concerns and they were taken into consideration, but the project wasn't rejected because you feel like it doesn't fit in the surrounding area. Move on. I'm a big supporter of community and grassroots involvement, in preservation and wary of developers trying to enrich themselves and the effects of gentrification and all of that, measures are in place to have the community address problematic developments. But this is simply abuse of those measures. You have to be pretty far in obstructionism to make me side with powers that be like Steinberg or wealthy developers.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:44 PM

Yeah suing every big project in the grid is a big hindrance to development. This should be priority #1 when Steinberg takes office if he wants to each the 10,000 new units goal. I dont think this lawsuit will be successful at all, but will delay the project and make it overall more expensive.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah suing every big project in the grid is a big hindrance to development. This should be priority #1 when Steinberg takes office if he wants to each the 10,000 new units goal. I dont think this lawsuit will be successful at all, but will delay the project and make it overall more expensive.
And the proponents of this lawsuit know that as well. Delay and hope it discourages the developers enough. When you can't win on the ideas, much up the process.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
And the proponents of this lawsuit know that as well. Delay and hope it discourages the developers enough. When you can't win on the ideas, much up the process.
Well perhaps we can put a system in place where the people or organizations that file these sort of frivolous lawsuits have to pay for any and all expenses that are incurred as a result. Like when those idiots from STOP kept delaying the arena process and ended up costing the city millions.

I feel like certain people (we all know who) would be a lot less likely to file ridiculous lawsuits like this if they had to pay for it themselves.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:32 AM

What I don't understand is why are community organizers suing the developer when they should be suing the city and planning commission for approving the project. A developer can propose anything he wants but its up to the city to give them the green light, right? If i wanted, as a developer, propose a 600 foot building in the middle of East Sacramento, that's my pejorative.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:49 AM
Here we stAy

Pretty sure the City was the one sued. They are the decision maker, and so the only entity to which a suit could be brought against. While it's unfortunate the project will most likely only be delayed a bit, the worst part is the City will pick up most of the cost of this lawsuit, i.e. the residents. There's many more constructive efforts that could use the resources being spent here.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:44 PM

Anyone know the latest on Curtis Park (Crocker) Village? It looks like a couple more brownstones are being built but basically the rest is on a total hold.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
Anyone know the latest on Curtis Park (Crocker) Village? It looks like a couple more brownstones are being built but basically the rest is on a total hold.
I would also be interested. The brownstones are very expensive, seems like the normal homes might sell better, wonder why they aren't building them yet.

McKinley Village, on the other hand, is being thrown up at breakneck speed. Building that tunnel under the tracks thought looks like such a huge undertaking, I'm guessing that will need to be completed before they start showing the homes.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 3:48 PM

I'm surprised that this story hasn't gotten mentioned yet.

Quote:
Now comes another project, just five blocks away. It wouldn’t be quite as tall as Yamanee, but 19J would still tower over the corner of 19th and J streets at 11 stories.

Just the thought of building a high-rise in midtown likely sent many longtime midtown residents into orbit. This is a neighborhood, after all, where residents fight over three-story homes in alleys.

“When I heard about Yamanee, I admit I had a very knee-jerk reaction of ‘No way,’” said George Raya, a longtime central city resident and co-chair of the Marshall School/New Era Park Neighborhood Association. “But we’re running out of land; we can’t continue to build exterior suburbs. We’ve got to go up.”

Raya and many of his neighbors support Yamanee. And so far, they seem pleased with 19J.

19J would tower over its surroundings. But in a way, it could also help maintain the character of midtown.

Unlike other luxury condo towers that have popped up recently, 19J would feature studios and apartments that are compact and relatively affordable, with some units going for less than $1,000 a month.
Rendering of 19/J from HR Group Architects, courtesy of the Bee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area