HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

Nuit Blanche 2015 - Sept 26

We're gearing up for September 26!

We’re gearing up to launch the inaugural Nuit Blanche Edmonton this September 26, 2015 from 7 pm to 4 am. It’s been an exciting year as we prepare and work with community partners and supporters to make our plans for this FREE event a reality. Here are some updates about our activities.

Where and Where

The event will start on Saturday, September 26 at 7 pm and run for nine straight hours until 4 am Sunday morning. Our programming will take place throughout the downtown core, with current plans for the base of CN Tower, Rice Howard Way, Sir Winston Churchill Square, as well as nearby alleyways, nooks and crannies. There will also be Independent Projects in Little Italy, Oliver and the Quarters.

The Programming

Our program has been confirmed, and will include:

an exhibition curated by Dave Dyment featuring 11 projects
independent projects by numerous galleries, artist run centres and artist groups
and three special commissions.

All in all NBE will feature 31 projects. Over half of the projects are by local artists. Our full program will be announced in late August.

Yoko Ono

This week we announce that Yoko Ono’s Wish Tree installation will be coming to Churchill Square as part of Edmonton's first Nuit Blanche festival.

New York-based Ono’s Wish Tree is an acclaimed installation, bringing hope and promoting peace to hundreds of thousands for more than 20 years. For Edmonton, Ono is envisioning the largest ever installation of Wish Tree - 121 trees placed throughout Winston Churchill Square that Edmontonians can attach their wishes to.

The wishes will be collected and stored at the IMAGINE PEACE TOWER in Reykjavik, Iceland, along with over 900,000 other wishes from all over the world. The trees from Churchill Square will be planted in communities throughout Edmonton. Nuit Blanche Edmonton thanks Qualico Commercial for their pivotal role in making this project a reality.

About the Organizers

Nuit Blanche Edmonton is thrilled to have hired two programming staff: Kirsta Franke and Shannon Bowler from Wild Heart Collective. Kirsta and Shannon are working with our production company Events Edmonton, who are managing event infrastructure and logistics.

Quality of the experience:
Food trucks, road closures, late night buses and more

Our base services are being planned to accommodate 9,000 participants per hour. We are collaborating with the City of Edmonton to have the required infrastructure in place to best plan for the flow of people and traffic. Volunteers and staff will be stationed throughout the site, and we are working closely with the Edmonton Police Service and our security company to ensure the safest and smoothest event possible.

Lets make this happen together!

Newsletter and Contact Info
Sign-up for our newsletter at nuitblancheedmonton.ca.
For inquiries email us at info@nuitblancheedmonton.ca

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:32 PM

nuit blanche thanks qualico commercial and qualico commercial says "your\'re welcome"...

we have been on board with this since last october. it's been easy to be on board but much harder respecting the confidentiality that's been needed up until now and not being able to talk about it.

this has the potential to be a very good thing for edmonton and this year is just a beginning.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 1:46 AM
Community Guy

Bump.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 10:21 PM

https://instagram.com/p/7yc_Kew9Cu/

Quote:
Great shot of the #IceDistrict tower cranes, and just in time for #NByeg which is happening next weekend on Sept 26. Don't miss the Dance of the Cranes art installation, on that night from 11pm - 12am.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 11:24 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 12:46 AM
Community Guy

Sounds neat, will be one of the things I take ^in.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:14 PM
Majestic

I'm looking forward to checking this out. Especially Dance of the Cranes.

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:24 PM

Sweet I'll be able to watch from my living room if I'm lazy

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:37 AM

I'm intrigued, will see if I can make it...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 5:05 PM

Nuite Blanche was awesome for the most part. Always great to see the downtown core so alive on a Saturday night.

The Wish Tree was amazing to see. All that was missing was Yoko Ono herself.

Also liked "Ouroboros" inside City Hall.

102 Ave was closed off between 100 St and 101 St for a small but lively market.

Dancing of the Cranes wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. The cranes moving to some Hendrix/NIN guitar music didn't really do anything for me. And despite the attempt to generate a party-like atmosphere in the City Centre parkade, the OEG could have served some drinks and provided some seating. I left after 15 minutes, and the exits were packed.

Didn't bother going through the balloon-filled pedway ("Half the Air In A Given Space") because there was a 2 hr lineup and I already did enough lining up at the Comic Expo.

There was also a lineup for the National Elevator Project inside Tix On The Square

The Citadel had a 50th anniversary party c/w a live band.
http://www.citadeltheatre.com/show/heart-beat-party/

Sherlock Holmes patio was open, and Rice Howard Way strip was busy.

Of all the arts venues open tonight, the AGA was closed to the public due to a wedding reception.

Overall a resounding success! Hope its an annual event.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:10 PM

I found the stacked bouncy castle exhibit a failure. They had a tiny blower inflating the bottom castle but was too weak for the work load required. When I came back to churchill square at 12:30am they were still trying to make it work. They should have put more thought into it.

Aside from that the event was a success, it looks like it has staying power.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 7:07 PM
Majestic

Watched the cranes from the warmth of a colleague's condo. Caught a glimpse of the Mayor while I was at City Hall. Was out and about until around 3:30 before finally heading home. Skipped the elevator and balloons (I hate lineups). Ate outta the food trucks. Went by "Make it Flat" twice (once by myself, once with a group). The AGA being booked for a wedding reception was just weird.

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 1:21 PM
DRINK

I wasn't going to go....but a last minute promise to view the cranes from one of Epcor's balconies sold the wife and I. Great spot to view, but without the music it was a little anticlimactic. Should have worked with a radio station to broadcast the music.

Very impressed by the overall atmosphere. Wasn't expecting it to be nearly that successful.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:12 PM
Community Guy

Explored post AGA lecture by Zita Cobb until about 1am, hits and misses, but for a first year definitely a good first attempt. Churchill was incredible as was the balloon pedway, inside City Hall, Rolling soccer field, projection and sound at the WTC etc. Connecting the installations a little more cohesively would be nice as it would for a few more businesses to remain open... although many did, WITH PATIOS!

Cranes were indeed anticlimactic, but neat either way.

The AGA not being apart of this was truly odd (clarification, they were involved, but I mean the venue)... I can understand the need for bookings and all, but it should have been open, free by donation and a huge participant. RAM involvement will be nice to have as well.

The best part of the evening was seeing so many people Downtown, including many families and seniors.

Bravo, let's get more folks involved for 2016!

Last edited by Coldrsx; Sep 28, 2015 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:41 PM

We enjoyed the evening. The storytellers at the Boyle Street community centre were great along with the fire pit and 3 artistic installations inside one of which was the paper images of the Old York hotel handling from the ceiling - this cluster was a high point in the evening.

The cranes well...after a few pints at the Denizen looked and sounded better...best part was knowing 4 operators up there were having a blast and their hard work gets noticed. We laughed and smiled about that imagining some little boy with a Dad up there must have been thinking "Dad has a great job".

Loved watching the roller smash a toilet in the rink by the CN...

Overall a very enjoyable evening - 7/10 and lots of room to grow this event if there is a will and a way.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

The best part of the evening was seeing so many people Downtown, including many families and seniors.

Bravo, let's get more folks involved for 2016!
I agree there was a whole lot of positive when I was downtown. Didn't get to experience the entire offerings but still good.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 9:57 PM

I took a stroll through Churchill and behind the library and was very cool to see so many people out on a rather chilly night. But the art was very disappointing to me, own personal bias though; I don't understand a lot of this contemporary art and will probably never like it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:47 AM

Dance of the Cranes audience - Rogers Place time lapse

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 4:33 PM
Community Guy

31 Contemporary Art Projects • 121 wish trees • 4,500 gold balloons • 7 Bouncy Castles • 4 dancing construction cranes • 5 uncooperative elves • 9 Hours • 1 Night • 1 Transformed City • 52,000 attendees

Video of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy3AVLIF_e0

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 9:41 PM
Community Guy

Thank you to Qualico, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jzU...ature=youtu.be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton