HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
2010 Volvo C30
Its 2011 Volvo C30, it will be released in 2010.

2011 Volvo S60

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 6:38 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

^that is sweet!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 4:29 PM
ledru rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
^still why the need for such difference - it's not like we're that different nor that we see the same in other products..

It seems like more work for the companies and more expenses having many different cars build rather than a few models..

I'm sure it pays off, and I don't really mind it, but I don't get why they could not just keep it to small stuff like a different front bumper, sidemirror or stuff like that..

When it's differnt cars the least they could do was name them something different
The vehicle safety laws are the first reason there is so much difference. The EU, US and Japan have such a completely different set of standards that some vehicles simply won't translate from one market to another without an entirely new design. For example Americans didn't get the SMART until recently because the old design didn't meet US crash standards. The new design (like the Mini) began with those standards plus EU pedestrian standards which we don't have here.

Fuel prices and urban infrastructure also make different vehicles quite differently appealing. Americans generally like larger vehicles with more horsepower because our driving habits are so different from those of Europe and Japan. The US has a far smaller network of public transport which means we spend more time and travel greater distances on average thus what makes a Honda Civic in Europe a hit is too small, uncomfortable over long distances and underpowered to be a hit in the US. While Diesel has become a big thing in Europe, the price difference is hardly worth the effort for most Americans/Japanese not to mention the environmental stigma (which is mostly unfounded these days).

While globalization of car models is getting closer there are many vehicles for which it simply doesn't pay to engineer in all the things that will make it a hit everywhere. Ask Carlos Ghosn.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 4:40 PM
Ascension

Aside from the S-Class, Mercedes can't make a good looking car. And this is no different.

2010 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG (The Gullwing)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 7:16 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
^that is sweet!
Not really. It looks like a Lexus more than anything.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 7:55 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Not really. It looks like a Lexus more than anything.
Saying that a car looks like a Lexus is never a bad thing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:00 PM
BANNED

-

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:06 PM
BANNED

-

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:19 PM
ledru rollin

Yeah, the SLS AMG is a huge disappointment. And on the heels of the universally mocked SLR McLaren (for which this is supposed to be a replacement since the Merc/Mac divorce) it's especially unsettling. Bigger, heavier, faster, but to what end of driving enjoyment? And it's ugly as sin to boot.

The SLR McLaren

The original 300sl upon which both these overweight awkwards are based:

Mercedes is trying too hard to be something it briefly was fifty years ago. And the world attempts to see the road over the twelve foot hood.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:25 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Saying that a car looks like a Lexus is never a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing, but it's also not a very original look either. After all, Lexus designs have traditionally been softer-looking ripoffs of Mercedes designs. Let's just say the new Volvo look is highly inoffensive.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:30 PM
BANNED

-

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:00 PM
Ascension

Remaking an older car and making it look modern while also looking retro has worked a few times. Case in point.

Ford Mustang

VW New Beetle

Dodge Challenger

Fiat 500

And sometimes it doesn't work.

Ford Thunderbird

I think that the SLS will sit next to the Thunderbird in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:13 PM
ledru rollin

^The New Beetle has also been a failure. VW never reached any of their sales goals and purists rejected the car for its complete disregard of the original formula (air-cooled rear engine). Among people who make their livings scoring cars the New Beetle has been a D+ at best and VW will finally let it die next year. It's basically a pricier Golf with quirky styling and far less practicality. Reminds me more of the AMC Pacer than the original Beetle.

BTW, Fiat has confirmed we'll be getting the 500 next year!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:49 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by View2gowanus View Post
^The New Beetle has also been a failure. VW never reached any of their sales goals and purists rejected the car for its complete disregard of the original formula (air-cooled rear engine). Among people who make their livings scoring cars the New Beetle has been a D+ at best and VW will finally let it die next year. It's basically a pricier Golf with quirky styling and far less practicality. Reminds me more of the AMC Pacer than the original Beetle.
I agree. However, it's not the purist's POV that made the New Beetle a failure. It's the fact that VW crammed a body style derived from a rear-engine car onto a front-engine chassis design, creating a conflicting design overall. I've read Car and Driver reviews that stated the huge expanse between the windshield and the edge of the dashboard was the direct result of the front-engine taking up so much space.

So the Beetle purists had a point, but not because the New Beetle was a rejection of so many of the original car's features. Those features were there because the design called for it. The New Beetle was ultimately just a poorly designed car.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

the beetle has been around about 10 years which is a long time without any significant refreshes so i'm not surprised VW is axing the model.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
the beetle has been around about 10 years which is a long time without any significant refreshes so i'm not surprised VW is axing the model.
The Beetle is not being axed...

Quote:
New Beetle – VW will redesign the Beetle and bring a second generation of the coupe and convertible to the U.S. Expanded port-installed customization options—think Mini Cooper—will be available. VW hopes to revitalize the Beetle brand and sell as many as possible because it's produced in Mexico, and consequently highly profitable compared with the company's other sporty and fun cars.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...eyond-car_news

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:06 AM
ledru rollin

^That is old (speculative) news and highly dubious considering VW's bleeding of cash and the sluggish sales of the New Beetle. Automakers push image over information and in this case the New Beetle looks to be a goner, we'll surely know when Frankfurt opens.

The second gen Beetle was supposed to use the rear engine chassis of the UP! city car, but last year VW scrapped the idea of a rear engined UP! for a more conventional FE/FWD.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View2gowanus View Post
^That is old (speculative) news and highly dubious considering VW's bleeding of cash and the sluggish sales of the New Beetle. Automakers push image over information and in this case the New Beetle looks to be a goner, we'll surely know when Frankfurt opens.

The second gen Beetle was supposed to use the rear engine chassis of the UP! city car, but last year VW scrapped the idea of a rear engined UP! for a more conventional FE/FWD.
Its not old the information, in fact it was released just late last month. The UP! (the production version will be named "Lupo") is still in VW's plans, but its likely it will not be coming to the U.S. You can see more info on VW's future lineup here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...eyond-car_news

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:51 AM
ledru rollin

Just because Car and Driver is running it does not mean it is accurate and current.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 8:06 PM
BANNED

-

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation