HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 10:37 PM
Another day in Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
northbay - since they are working north-to-south, I'm wondering if you have seen progress on the bike path up there. There's nothing to see down here on that front yet.
Unfortunately, there has been just about no pathway construction done by SMART at this point, in both counties. However, other agencies have been making progress. Caltrans has completed a path between Novato and Petaluma, so cyclists no longer have to commit suicide by riding along 101 (which is actually going to be illegal as that section gets upgraded to full freeway standards). Santa Rosa has also competed some sections by College Ave and Steele Lane. I honestly haven't heard of anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
If they're able to secure that final $20 million needed for the extension to Larkspur, how will the actual construction take? Depending on when the money is secured, is it still possible to get the extension constructed in time for the line's opening in 2 years?
Excellent question. My guess is no. If they had been awarded the TIGER grant this year, it may have been possible. But we didn't get the grant so it's really a big question of where that money is going to come from, and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
They are leaving room to add more double track later. As I understand what's proposed, there will be three passing sidings along phase 1 construction;
(1) Hamilton
(2) Petaluma
(3) Cotati
(4) Santa Rosa
Note: the San Rafael Station will have two tracks, and when the extension is built to Larkspur that will complete the fifth passing siding.
Page 50 of the following pdf shows the passing sidings locations on a map.
http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/agen...additional.pdf

Another concept to realize is that the number of passing sidings required depends upon the number of trains you plan to operate at any instant in time. You will need at least one less passing siding as number of trains operating. Presently, they're planning on having 6 trains operating to maintain 30 minute headways - therefore the need for 5 passing sidings to reach Larkspur - even though they haven't quite found all the funds needed to reach Larkspur. As an example, two trains require one passing siding, three trains require two passing sidings, four trains require three passing sidings, etc. Siding placement and maintaining schedules is important to keep the trains meeting properly so the minimum number of sidings work.
They're constructing the double track here in Cotati now.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
Unfortunately, there has been just about no pathway construction done by SMART at this point, in both counties. However, other agencies have been making progress. Caltrans has completed a path between Novato and Petaluma, so cyclists no longer have to commit suicide by riding along 101 (which is actually going to be illegal as that section gets upgraded to full freeway standards). Santa Rosa has also competed some sections by College Ave and Steele Lane. I honestly haven't heard of anything else.
Technically, the Cal Park Tunnel bikeway between Larkspur Landing and San Rafael is also part of the long term plan to run bikeways along the SMART right of way. The other half of the tunnel is rail-ready, but the bike path opened first because it was fully funded.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:50 AM
Another day in Paradise

^ Right, other than the Cal Park Tunnel of course

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
^ Right, other than the Cal Park Tunnel of course
This isn't directly related to SMART, but are there any plans to finish a solid bike/pedestrian connection from the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito? The last time I visited I was amazed at the odd traveling we had to do to walk between the two. Would've thought if you started a bike lane anywhere in the entire North Bay it would have been at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
This isn't directly related to SMART, but are there any plans to finish a solid bike/pedestrian connection from the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito? The last time I visited I was amazed at the odd traveling we had to do to walk between the two. Would've thought if you started a bike lane anywhere in the entire North Bay it would have been at the Golden Gate Bridge.
Huh? I have ridden my bike to Sausalito from San Francisco several times on a very popular bike route that starts right at the western side of the bridge landing in Marin.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Huh? I have ridden my bike to Sausalito from San Francisco several times on a very popular bike route that starts right at the western side of the bridge landing in Marin.
Hmm perhaps I missed it, I ended up walking along Alexander Avenue (it wasn't pleasant haha).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:23 PM
Another day in Paradise

Cotati SMART Station

Here's some pics of the Cotati SMART Station (exterior complete) and some of the surrounding housing:

Double-tracked

Along the wall runs a small drainage 'wetland' - the parking spaces here are water-permeable brick/pebble

Housing units surround little courtyards like this one

photos by me

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Hmm perhaps I missed it, I ended up walking along Alexander Avenue (it wasn't pleasant haha).
Yes, you totally missed it. The popular Conzelman Road route starts on the west end of the Marin landing, proceeds under the bridge and hits the waterfront at Moore Road.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, you totally missed it. The popular Conzelman Road route starts on the west end of the Marin landing, proceeds under the bridge and hits the waterfront at Moore Road.
Thanks, next time I will look for it!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
how do you get there from the pedestrian landing at the other side near the vista point? I don't think I've ever noticed another crossing under the bridge there.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
how do you get there from the pedestrian landing at the other side near the vista point? I don't think I've ever noticed another crossing under the bridge there.
Whenever I ride across the bridge to Sausalito I always ride the western (bike only) side of the span, but I know there is an underpass between the vista point and the west side paths. I don't know much about it, but it is there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Whenever I ride across the bridge to Sausalito I always ride the western (bike only) side of the span, but I know there is an underpass between the vista point and the west side paths. I don't know much about it, but it is there.
Cool. I didn't know about that - it actually looks like it's been recently improved.

http://www.oursausalito.com/golden-g...sausalito.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation