HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:49 PM
BANNED

The republicans want everyone in suburbs with a white picket fence and two gass guzzlers in the drive (preferably an SUV) so big oil keeps on thriving. If people want smaller regional american cities to be more vibrant and interesting, don't vote republican. They our proud of having a city that is anti-europe and love explaining how Americans love their cars, which is only true because they are creating the never ending negative cycle that perpetuates the car ideal.

Better to cut your losses if you like such places and MOVE is possible, as I don't see this changing for a long time.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:22 PM

yeah well
Pat McCrory is a expert at Energy & Coal ash
just like Rick Scott in Florida is a expert at Health Care

Is there more photos of the Union Station
less fake looking photos
more realistic photos

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The republicans want everyone in suburbs with a white picket fence and two gass guzzlers in the drive (preferably an SUV) so big oil keeps on thriving. If people want smaller regional american cities to be more vibrant and interesting, don't vote republican. They our proud of having a city that is anti-europe and love explaining how Americans love their cars, which is only true because they are creating the never ending negative cycle that perpetuates the car ideal.

Better to cut your losses if you like such places and MOVE is possible, as I don't see this changing for a long time.
The Tea Party Republicans is all about putting money in the hands of individuals so they can make their own choices. It is funny how this actually leads to less choice especially when you consider transportation infrastructure. And even then, the end result is that governments have to spend enormous amounts of money on roads, that can never keep up with expanding demand. In the end, you may end spending much more in order to continue to support the car culture while the poor are left totally behind.

I have been to Raleigh a couple of times and I see a city without any focus. Endless suburbs and a lack of any sort of urban feel and amenities. Sure, you may have 2500 square foot house with the yard and white picket fence, but what makes the city attractive?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 8:31 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
The inexplicable lack of serious mass transit in a city/metro region the size of Raleigh/Research Triangle is not only lamentable, it is a disgrace.
I'd like to see American cities, in general, do better with mass transit. But, I don't get this constant need by some to not qualify bus service as "mass transit." It gives the impression that this area literally has no bus system. I'd imagine it's a system that leaves much to be desired, and I as much as anyone else want to see cities operating higher modes of transportation on their key corridors. But, I'm a little annoyed with constant maligning of bus service (which makes often makes up the highest mode share of transportation systems in even city with higher modes) as if it's not mass transit.

The Raleigh area is hardly unique for its lack of higher modes of mass transit, even for areas its size.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:53 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
The inexplicable lack of serious mass transit in a city/metro region the size of Raleigh/Research Triangle is not only lamentable, it is a disgrace.
Yeah. The problem with the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) is trying to get three different cities in three different counties to work together. Orange and Durham counties' voters passed transit funding for which is funding the Durham-Orange light rail line that is being built between Chapel Hill and Durham. The environmental study will be completed by early 2016, followed by 3 years of engineering work and 4 or 5 years of construction so it isn't opening before 2023 or 2024.

Shorter term, there are plans in place for commuter rail on the existing line between Garner, Raleigh, Cary, RTP, and Durham but Wake county has been dragging its feet on voting for funding.

Bus transit is big in the area though. There's Triangle transit, which operates inter-city buses between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (and will operate the light rail lines). Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill have their own bus systems, and does NC State university. CAT, DATA, C-Tran, CHT - it can be a lot to keep up with. Interestingly, Chapel Hill has the 2nd highest ridership in the state after Charlotte.

The Raleigh Amtrak station is served by the Silver Star and Carolinian lines as well as the state DOT run Piedmont which is a twice daily between Charlotte and Raleigh. Two more daily trips are scheduled to be added (for a total of 5 including the Carolinian) when the Raleigh Union station and additional track are completed in 2017, and travel time will be reduced from 3hr, 11m to 2hr, 58m, which isn't bad time considering it stops at Cary, Durham, Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury and Kannapolis in between.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:05 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
Is there more photos of the Union Station
less fake looking photos
more realistic photos
No, these are all the publicly released renderings. There's also a mock up model:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:13 PM
Show me the blueprints

^haha! Looks like the model maker needs to get some new vehicles as the parking lot appears to be full of old VW Beetles!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:43 AM
Administrator

I like the modern looking bus! haha

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

So is this "Union Station" going to be a brand new building or a restoral of a previous building that fell into disrepair?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation