Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
dream fast

10-7

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 8:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

October 16, 2012

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 9:31 PM
Come As You Are

I remember the ugly shack that used to be here. Now it gives that area a 21st century feel, and it is complemented perfectly by IBM Center and the other stone buildings around it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 1:49 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:49 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:31 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:43 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 10:54 PM
dream fast

Last edited by george; Nov 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 12:53 PM

Possible work on the stores ? (3/7/2014)

Curves

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I don't love this one. Reminds me of the type of tower you would see in Guangzhou, China. Glitzy, tall....but somewhat tacky all the same. Perhaps it goes with the territory. After all, Dumbald Trump is nothing more than a colossal wind-bag of fart.

Still, it is better than the one he built in Toronto.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Reminds me of the type of tower you would see in Guangzhou, China. Glitzy, tall....but somewhat tacky all the same. Perhaps it goes with the territory. After all, Dumbald Trump is nothing more than a colossal wind-bag of fart.
I disagree. for donald trump, this building is the height of understatement. adrian smith really did do a phenomenal job keeping "the donald's" worst inclinations in check.

the building certainly isn't amazing or magical like JHC, but it's a quality addition to chicago's city scape, especially considering the building it replaced.

now, as for that super-tacky "TRUMP" sign that mr. wind-bag wants to put-up on the river side facade of the building, yes, that is all 100% awful, awful, awful.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM
BANNED

Never liked it. Looks like a cheap-looking generic tower.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Never liked it. Looks like a cheap-looking generic tower.
Agreed. I think it really set us back as a city, architecturally. It looks painfully out-of-place. The ground level, plaza, and meandering path into and around it is garish, sloppy, and mostly a confused mess with no real solid design scheme. It's as if the tower and ground level were each designed separately and without any reference to one another. Where the tower meets both the river and the Wrigley building is where I cringe the most. It's absolutely terrible: completely disconnected design with zero integration or attention giving to its surroundings. It's as if the entire base of the building was designed in a vacuum. Design by committee in the worst way. I honestly could deal with its awkward height and ugly blue glass and stupid spike on top if the base were better. But it unfortunately is a turd from top to bottom.

And then there's the garage. The helix ramp leading into the garage looks like an awkward afterthought that was 'tacked-on' in the final hours before its presentation. The garage itself appears caught between an awkward spot of looking like a garage and concealing itself as such. Either way, it just adds to the shit pile.

I literally hate everything about Trump Tower. I always have. I think it's way too tall for its site, you can see it from fucking everywhere, and it's just absolutely relentless in its post-modern tackiness.

Simply put: I think Adrian Smith is a horrible architect who is stuck in the 90s. After all, the NBC Tower is his shit pile too. His buildings belong in Dallas or Dubai or something, which makes the fact that he's a Chicagoan even more unfortunate.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
11-25

I think i'll quote this earlier photo just to prove that this building turned out to be absolutely stunning in every sense of the word, it's the perfect centerpiece for Chicago and it finished off what became a gorgeous river canyon. Without a doubt the greatest most recently built supertall in the united states and it truly enforced the fact that Chicago is a big player and the only true competitor in America to New York when it comes to skylines.

However if this sign gets built it will ruin all of that.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Agreed. I think it really set us back as a city, architecturally. It looks painfully out-of-place. The ground level, plaza, and meandering path into and around it is garish, sloppy, and mostly a confused mess with no real solid design scheme. It's as if the tower and ground level were each designed separately and without any reference to one another. Where the tower meets both the river and the Wrigley building is where I cringe the most. It's absolutely terrible: completely disconnected design with zero integration or attention giving to its surroundings. It's as if the entire base of the building was designed in a vacuum. Design by committee in the worst way. I honestly could deal with its awkward height and ugly blue glass and stupid spike on top if the base were better. But it unfortunately is a turd from top to bottom.

And then there's the garage. The helix ramp leading into the garage looks like an awkward afterthought that was 'tacked-on' in the final hours before its presentation. The garage itself appears caught between an awkward spot of looking like a garage and concealing itself as such. Either way, it just adds to the shit pile.

I literally hate everything about Trump Tower. I always have. I think it's way too tall for its site, you can see it from fucking everywhere, and it's just absolutely relentless in its post-modern tackiness.

Simply put: I think Adrian Smith is a horrible architect who is stuck in the 90s. After all, the NBC Tower is his shit pile too. His buildings belong in Dallas or Dubai or something, which makes the fact that he's a Chicagoan even more unfortunate.
LOL
I guess there's no accounting for taste...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:01 PM

Has anyone walked by the retail space lately? I know Harry took some photos that might have suggested they were prepping for some sort of build out.......I was wondering if that has progressed at all?

Still can't believe it's been, what, almost four/five years, and there's only the salon open....tens of thousands square feet of empty space just sitting there....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:47 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows what percentage of the buildings condos remain for sale, or if they have all been sold?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows what percentage of the buildings condos remain for sale, or if they have all been sold?
All but a dozen or so (including the $32MM penthouse) have sold, so essentially sold out at this point.

Last edited by guesswho; Apr 2, 2014 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:46 PM
dream fast

5/23

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:10 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ No gold-tone on/behind the letters! No sans-serif font! Could've been much worse. Let the guy have his branding.

Last edited by wrab; May 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture