HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:34 AM

Quote:
What's that brown sand-castle box structure in the foreground. That's so wrong.
That's the National Arts Centre, one of Lester B. Pearson's projects to commemorate the Canadian centenial in 1967. I agree that it's not one of Ottawa's prettiest buildings and the inside, though nicely decorated, is very dated. The only thing I really like about the NAC is the double-helix DNA sculptures found in all of the stairwells:

The NAC's Southam Hall is actually a pretty nice place to see a show, very intimate. I saw Just For Laughs with Russell Peters a few years ago from the 3rd row from the top and it still seemed like pretty good seats.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
good points. I didn't realize the government doesn't build 'flashy' bc they would appear to 'rich'. Instead it looks 'soviet'. Even Moscow's skyline is 'flashy' now. What's that brown sand-castle box structure in the foreground. That's so wrong.

Ottawa needs more mixture, with some condos. Just like Niagara's skyline is criticized for having just hotels. Ottawa's is almost all offices.
Ottawa actually has a lot of residential highrises downtown. The areas south and west of downtown are full of commie blocks almost exactly like Durand and Corktown in Hamilton, just not as many. The offices in downtown Ottawa are like Hamilton's Commerce Place repeated over and over. Ottawa actually has some pretty solid canyons, as long as you don't look up.

Another Hamilton shot:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 2:11 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Flar... sweet shot. and no smoke stacks. only one major parking lot visible and that's City Hall's. Thanks City Hall.

I like you can see on the left the Clairmont Access and Queen Street Hill Access and the 'stairs' in the middle.

Last edited by realcity; May 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 2:17 AM

The St. Joe's cluster looks sweet. Too bad about the mountain... it makes for some good vista views... but with some shots it hides the skyline unless every light is on in the building.

Last edited by realcity; May 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 8:09 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

One thing Hamilton lacks though from every other large city, lets say the 10 largest in Canada to be fair is density from the street vs. from the air if you know what I mean. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg to name a few all have it and seems like a tunnel vision of buildings. I think it's the cluster of office buildings that truly prove my point.

From the air, our skyline looks dense itself but when viewed from the street say Main and King which are the only main dwntwn throughfares (maybe James and York too), but it seems to break off after just a few blocks. Some of you may know what I'm talking about but I'll try to post an example later.

Our downtown just seems like the type you drive though to get to where you need to go instead of having to actually go out of your way to go downtown.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 2:57 PM

I agree. Mostly because of too many surface parking lots. And people in Hamilton say there is no where to park downtown so they don't come. You need destinations and reasons to come before you need parking.

Even London's downtown seems to sprawl around is all directions. I think London is a great city for its population. While I always thought that about Hamilton too. that the downtown quickly ends.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 2:46 PM

I wouldn't say downtown Hamilton ends quickly, many people consider the entire lower city to be downtown because of the way commercial streets like Barton, James or King go on and on. But even downtown proper is quite large in area, it's just that about three quarters of the buildings have been demolished. The neighbourhoods surrounding downtown are some of the densest in Canada and then you get downtown and it's all surface lots.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 6:53 AM

Nice photograph..............
Nice place to visit..........

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 5:18 AM

What I love about this thread.... is that it's basically Toronto.. With some exception that Hamilton, Niagara Falls, London and maybe Ottawa have a skyline.

In that order.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@taract_soulj@h View Post
One thing Hamilton lacks though from every other large city, lets say the 10 largest in Canada to be fair is density from the street vs. from the air if you know what I mean. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg to name a few all have it and seems like a tunnel vision of buildings. I think it's the cluster of office buildings that truly prove my point.

From the air, our skyline looks dense itself but when viewed from the street say Main and King which are the only main dwntwn throughfares (maybe James and York too), but it seems to break off after just a few blocks. Some of you may know what I'm talking about but I'll try to post an example later.

Our downtown just seems like the type you drive though to get to where you need to go instead of having to actually go out of your way to go downtown.
You make some good points and I agree that downtown Hamilton is too spread out, like why didn't the city put that 33-story residential building closer to downtown? It would have made the skyline look much better. Montreal and Calgary's downtowns are a lot different from the rest though because they are almost all office towers, whereas the other cities are a mix (and a nice mix, I believe) of residential and office.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:40 PM

The city doesn't decide where to build a 33-story residential building. The landowners/developers do.

The City isn't stopping anyone who wants to build a 33-story at say... Bay and King... Main and King... Main and Hughson... John and Main.... John and Rebecca. The reason why those lands are empty is because no developer can make a viable business model for that usage. Or else there would be towers on those intersections.

To use your logic... Why doesn't the City just put a 30+story at those intersections?

Because it's not SimCity

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Of course the city doesn't build towers but it can reject development applications that are too far from downtown with the caveat that if the developer is willing to build right downtown the city is interested.

Would it really have broken the bank of that developer(s) to build right downtown? I don't think so, so that's what Hamilton city council should have told him/them.

Don't you agree that the city/skyline would look better as well?

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Dec 7, 2009 at 6:43 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 11:36 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay has tried that before with a couple things, the developers usually say "fuck you" and run away.

They should instead use incentives to make developing downtown more beneficial for the developer than developing outside of it. For example, Thunder Bay has a programme where they will cover up to $10,000 of a downtown building's exterior renovations with an interest free loan, and as a result of that, many buildings were renovated downtown and are now occupied. I'm sure a similar kind of incentive could be developed to spur development on empty lots (such as providing permits for construction for free or forgiving a year's worth of property tax or something?)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 3:05 AM

It would be interesting to see our skyline with the Olympia and Landmark moved a couple blocks closer to Stelco Tower.

We still have a better skyline then other CDN cities with a bigger population. Even though not much has been built in 20 years.

I wish CIBC was one tower instead of two 16-stories, imagine a 32-storey standing at the intersection of King/James?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 3:45 AM

wow, lots of great Ontarian shots,
nice ones of Windsor and Ottawa
im very suprised theres no Toronto shots at all

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:13 AM

Hamilton:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:41 PM

i dont think ive ever seen a full Hamilton skyline before, just random parts.
but yeh, amazing shots flar.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 7:09 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
im very suprised theres no Toronto shots at all
We all know what Toronto looks like. Why bother with more?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 8:11 PM
Hammer'd

Just more gloomy Hamilton stuff that I shot earlier this month. Nothing like flar's, but it's a different camera, I guess?

I love Hamilton's dense, urban core. It's simply amazing to view from the crest of the escarpment.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 8:15 PM

Good shots. I like how the GO train curves around in the first one.

There is really no good way to capture the views from the Escarpment, you have to be there. I was simply blown away when I moved to Hamilton and stood there looking down at the city for the first time. I could stare for hours.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario