HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 6:21 AM
Kiss Wolf Wolf Goodnight

I speak a little Amharic (Ethiopian) and just had Eritrean for dinner (basically the same) I don't know of any eateries near High. We have the second highest amount of Ethiopians, just behind D.C. The best Ethiopian place is off Jewel and Havana, they even have traditional dancers on weekends. They say that they come here because we already have a strong community here, which makes adjusting and networking easier.

help me out and improve my city
http://commerce-city.myminicity.com

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
no its not...

There are 3 or more......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bear View Post
I speak a little Amharic (Ethiopian) and just had Eritrean for dinner (basically the same) I don't know of any eateries near High. We have the second highest amount of Ethiopians, just behind D.C. The best Ethiopian place is off Jewel and Havana, they even have traditional dancers on weekends. They say that they come here because we already have a strong community here, which makes adjusting and networking easier.
.....restaurants serving Ethiopian food on East Colfax. The one I was thinking of is at 2816 E. Colfax and is called simply The Ethiopian Restaurant. There is another, not too much further east, called The Arada and still others further east. Its been over two years, so maybe its changed hands or something.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 7:31 PM
Kiss Wolf Wolf Goodnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
.....restaurants serving Ethiopian food on East Colfax. The one I was thinking of is at 2816 E. Colfax and is called simply The Ethiopian Restaurant. There is another, not too much further east, called The Arada and still others further east. Its been over two years, so maybe its changed hands or something.

The Ethiopian Restaurant is in greek town, past York. It's still there. The food is decent, but it's a complete hole. There's also The Arada, Queen Sheba, Abyssinia, Red Sea (my fav), Axum, Africana Cafe, 2 I can't remember the name of, a new one opening soon called T. Selam just before Tamarac, all on east Colfax. There's also 2 ethio markets, one at Monaco and one at Quebec, both on Colfax. There's still more further south in Aurora.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 7:48 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Damn and I had no idea. Tells you how much I know about our ethnic communities around town. I think my knowledge of those end around the Federal corridor.

What are the best Ethiopian restaurants called again that you reccommend, DenverBear (the Jewell/Havana one)? Or better yet, some other ones for locations. I always am looking to agrandize my knowledge of other cultures, especially in the culinary realm!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 5:57 AM
Kiss Wolf Wolf Goodnight

Franco, I'll find out the name of that place, and when the dancers perform, next week when I see my friends again. PM me and I'll give you a run down of what to expect with Ethiopians because their culture, and cuisine really is quite different from ours. There's also a Somali place on Havana, around Alameda. It's called Hatsafa, or something like that. Their food is a lot like Indian. Does anyone know if there is a Sudanese restaurant in the area?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 1:04 AM
no its not...

Changing gears a little......

If the merger between Miller and Molson-Coors passes anti-trust scrutiny, it will be interesting where the headquarters is located. Probably in Milwaulkee, but who knows? I was bothered when Molson got first billing, the the first merger...so what happens next?, the removal of the Coors name altogether. Adolph Coors must be rolling in his grave.

I know its a wait and see thing, but I grew up drinking 3.2 Coors quart bottles as a teenager and used to be proud of the fact we had the world's largest single brewery and we're no. 3 in America. I really hope the merger doesn't happen. The movie stars used to have it flown to them, now its only known for Coor's Light. I never cared for their management, when they broke their union and now its "just business" as to what eventually happens.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 1:16 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
If the merger between Miller and Molson-Coors passes anti-trust scrutiny, it will be interesting where the headquarters is located. Probably in Milwaulkee, but who knows? I was bothered when Molson got first billing, the the first merger...so what happens next?, the removal of the Coors name altogether. Adolph Coors must be rolling in his grave.

I know its a wait and see thing, but I grew up drinking 3.2 Coors quart bottles as a teenager and used to be proud of the fact we had the world's largest single brewery and we're no. 3 in America. I really hope the merger doesn't happen. The movie stars used to have it flown to them, now its only known for Coor's Light. I never cared for their management, when they broke their union and now its "just business" as to what eventually happens.
It's my understanding that this would not be a merger of companies, but instead a merger of production capability. In order to do this, production would be run by an entirely new company called Miller-Coors - which would have it's headquarters located in either Milwaukee or Downtown Denver (to be announced upon anti-trust approval).

The reason this so called "merger" would require anti-trust approval, is because each company "Coors" and "Miller" would remain independent, yet operate not as competitors, but as partners with the formation of a new "merged" subsidiary called Miller-Coors. This is nearly by definition, a textbook Trust. Trusts were banned in the 1920's because of their anti-competitive nature - which can cause escalation in consumer prices.

A few exceptions are allowed, as such what is allowed with failing newspaper companies (hence Denver Post-Rocky Mountain News trust operation). I find it hard to believe that Miller and Coors will convince the government that either one of their operations are failing and need a trust between the two to survive.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:00 AM
no its not...

Very good points....

...interesting, thanks

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:49 PM
Up Up and Away

I think that Vail is experiencing one of its largest building booms in its history. When I went there, I could see countless cranes spread throughout the valley.

A makeover for Vail resort

The face-lift at Vail Cascade Resort & Spa is planned with an eye on luring more conferences to the refurbished creekside setting.By Margaret Jackson

The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/30/2007 11:35:23 PM MST

The owners of the Vail Cascade Resort & Spa plan an extensive renovation as part of their efforts to reposition the center as the leading destination for meetings in the Vail Valley. Work is scheduled to be finished by the end of 2008. (Photos courtesy of Vail Cascade Resort & Spa )Like most resorts in town, Vail Cascade Resort & Spa is getting a face-lift.

But unlike at the other properties, owner Destination Resorts is positioning Vail Cascade as the pre-eminent meeting facility in Vail Valley.

"It's a matter of keeping up with the Joneses," said Jim Johnson, principal of Denver-based JG Johnson Architects, which is designing the project. "Repositioning is occurring at other resort properties in the mountains. It's a 30-year cycle, and then they have to reinvent themselves."

The renovation is part of a $2 billion burst of development underway in the Vail Valley. The ongoing renovation and redevelopment in Vail will create more than 450 lodging units and more than 100,000 square feet of retail space. Other developments include a Four Seasons, a Ritz-Carlton and a proposed W Hotel and St. Regis.

The $30 million renovation of the 25-year-old Vail Cascade on Gore Creek includes a new 4,000 square-foot executive conference area for small, private retreats and board meetings.

With the addition, Vail Cascade will have nearly 40,000 square feet of meeting space with either creekside or courtyard views. The executive boardroom will offer state- of-the-art electronics with controls in the boardroom table.

The project also includes enhancements such as air conditioning, 42-inch flat-screen televisions and cordless telephones for the resort's 292 rooms. The bathrooms also are getting an update, including new fixtures and lighting to provide a more modern, residential look.

The property's pool and deck will be remodeled to incorporate the pool with its natural surroundings and become a year-round focal point of the resort. It will include outdoor fire pits, an infinity pool and seating areas where guests can enjoy the creekside setting. A new hot tub with a waterfall will be added.

A new coffee bar and market will provide quick dining options.

The renovations are being completed in phases, said Emily McCormack, a

After the renovation, nearly 40,000 square feet of meeting space will have either creekside or courtyard views. spokeswoman for Destination Resorts.
"Once we start seeing the reservations increase for the season, we'll drop off on construction and pick back up in April with a huge effort through the summer," McCormack said.

The project is expected to be completed by the end of next year.

Margaret Jackson: 303-954-1473 or mjackson@denverpost.com

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
It's my understanding that this would not be a merger of companies, but instead a merger of production capability. In order to do this, production would be run by an entirely new company called Miller-Coors - which would have it's headquarters located in either Milwaukee or Downtown Denver (to be announced upon anti-trust approval).

The reason this so called "merger" would require anti-trust approval, is because each company "Coors" and "Miller" would remain independent, yet operate not as competitors, but as partners with the formation of a new "merged" subsidiary called Miller-Coors. This is nearly by definition, a textbook Trust. Trusts were banned in the 1920's because of their anti-competitive nature - which can cause escalation in consumer prices.

A few exceptions are allowed, as such what is allowed with failing newspaper companies (hence Denver Post-Rocky Mountain News trust operation). I find it hard to believe that Miller and Coors will convince the government that either one of their operations are failing and need a trust between the two to survive.
I think this goes through. I also think it will be out of Denver.

Snyder brings up some good points. Regardless of what happens MolsonCoors will still be based out of Denver. If a new venture were to happen and be out of Wisconsin, it would likely impact the jobs in Golden.

When you look at the industry in this country, you see AB, Miller, Coors, and the a lot of smaller players. I think the smaller players are significant enough to keep AB and a Miller-Coors honest. But at the same time, you can see why Miller and Coors would want this to happen in order to compete on the level of AB.

Commodity prices are a far greater threat to consumers than any possible collusion between brewers.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 7:39 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Such as the world shortage of hops this year. I'm paying an extra penny for every single beer I buy!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:39 AM
Up Up and Away

Cherry Creek now awash in 2nd homes

Business owners and full-time residents say it is changing the neighborhood's character, prompting some to leave.

By Margaret Jackson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 01/02/2008 12:54:05 AM MST

When Philadelphia resident Jean Bell bought a condo in Cherry Creek about seven years ago, she was among the few who chose the tony neighborhood for a second home rather than a primary residence.

But with the surge in development of large-scale condo projects in the area, particularly in the Cherry Creek North section of the neighborhood, Bell is no longer a rarity.

The influx of people buying second homes in the district is a point of contention among some full-time residents and business owners, who say it's changing the character of the neighborhood.

But others say it's nothing new.

"This has really been happening over the years as Cherry Creek has been developing," said Douglas Kerbs of Fuller Towne & Country Properties, who is marketing units at 150 Madison. "What we're seeing more of is empty-nesters. They're downsizing two or three homes either in the mountains or (in) Florida."

About half of the condos sold in the first phase of Western Development's NorthCreek project at First Avenue and Fillmore Street have been second or third homes, said Roy Kline, a partner at the firm.

"Several have large homes up in Aspen," Kline said. "These are sort of smaller, in-town places they're choosing for convenience and shopping."

Western Development has aggressively gone after mountain residents who want second homes in Denver. It's held several marketing events in Aspen and Vail to get to know the brokers there, Kline said.

Bell, who visits the area about every six weeks, bought the two-bedroom, two-bath condo at East Bayaud Avenue and South Monroe Street to be close to her sons.

"It has indoor parking and a clubhouse we can use for big parties and a gym," Bell said. "It's more secure than a townhouse."

Briefcase commuter

Jeff Bailey, a real-estate developer who splits his time between Denver and Southern California, bought his condo at Clayton Lane, a redevelopment between First and Second avenues and Josephine and Detroit streets, before the project was finished. He's there monthly for up to a week.

"The condo concept works great for me," he said. "I like just carrying a briefcase and going back and forth. I don't have to deal with clothes. I don't have the yard work. I like the convenience of all the restaurants. Anything I need is pretty much walking distance."

Until now, those buying second homes in Denver have primarily looked downtown because the type of product they were interested in had not been available elsewhere. That started to change after the Clayton Lane development led to an increase in mixed-use projects that included condos in Cherry Creek.

"The second-home people are looking for a condo or townhome they can lock and leave," said Gretchen Faber, broker manager at the Kentwood Co. Cherry Creek.

Changes in the neighborhood are leading some longtime businesses to leave. The owners of the popular Chinook Tavern cited neighborhood changes, limited parking and an influx of new restaurants as reasons for relocating to the Landmark in Greenwood Village.

Clemens Georg, who owns the restaurant with his father, Manfred, recently said they are concerned about the neighborhood's direction. Cherry Creek, they said, is becoming an even wealthier area with second-home owners as opposed to full-time residents.

Peter Cohn, who has lived in Cherry Creek for about seven years, said it's too soon to tell how the second-home buyers will change the neighborhood, but for now he sees it as positive.

"It brings in new energy and revitalizes the area," he said. "It will add a variety of people to the neighborhood. There's already so much money here that it will only increase that."

Development altered mix

A number of buyers at Monroe Pointe, 333 S. Monroe St., are purchasing second or third homes, said Rhonda Knop, an agent at Distinctive Properties Inc. who is marketing the property.

"Some are selling bigger homes in Denver and will be spending more time in the mountains or more time in the desert because they're not working as hard as they used to," Knop said. "I also hear people saying, 'I'm tired of paying the JW Marriott when I come down a couple of times a week.' "

Wayne New, president of the Cherry Creek North Neighborhood Association, said the trend started a couple of years ago when Clayton Lane was developed, and it's likely to continue.

A survey of Cherry Creek North residents in November revealed that the changing character of the neighborhood is their No. 2 concern, topped by crime and safety. The No. 3 concern is the loss of small businesses.

"The economics of the Business Improvement District have changed dramatically," New said. "All the land prices have escalated to the point where landowners are increasing rents for those small businesses, and a lot of small businesses leave."

But not all.

Terri Garbarini has run a successful women's clothing boutique at 3003 E. Third Ave. for the last 10 years and is expanding her store.

"Obviously, there are people who are thriving," Garbarini said. "I wouldn't have my store anyplace else. Cherry Creek North is the Beverly Hills of Denver."

Garbarini started to notice a change in the mix of retailers when Clayton Lane arrived. It seems, she said, that many of the new retailers are in the interior- design and home-furnishings industry.

In fact, according to the Cherry Creek North Business Improvement District, there are 26 home stores, seven interior-design boutiques and 18 art galleries. In addition, there are 17 jewelry boutiques, 50 salons and spas, 47 restaurants and 280 independent merchants.

"Half the shoppers in Cherry Creek North live within walking distance," said Julie Bender, chief executive of the district. "Customers walk into the district an average of eight times a month. It's the envy of every other retail district."

Margaret Jackson: 303-954-1473 or mjackson@denverpost.com

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 4:42 PM
Up Up and Away

Here is some other good reads from the McGraw-Hill Construction website:

2007 Projects
http://colorado.construction.com/fea..._feature1c.asp

2008 Projects
http://colorado.construction.com/fea...feature1c1.asp

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
Here is some other good reads from the McGraw-Hill Construction website:

2007 Projects
http://colorado.construction.com/fea..._feature1c.asp

2008 Projects
http://colorado.construction.com/fea...feature1c1.asp
From the 08 Projects link under the Downtown Highrises heading:

"1401 Lawrence, predicted to become the tallest building downtown, with construction scheduled to start this year"

Do they know something we don't or is it just outdated info?

One thing is for sure, there is a lot of exciting things going on in our city and state!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 5:31 PM
Closed account

I think they had to have meant to say 'residential' ...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:45 PM
Up Up and Away

I concur with Giovoni.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:23 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Yep...They just didn't put that lil' important tid-bit of info in there.

But hey, if they want to make 1401 Lawrence 65 stories to shoot for the record, that's fine by me.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 12:27 AM

From PlanetOut Travel:

Top 10 up-and-coming destinations for 2008

by GT McCallan

Beat the hordes and discover the most exhilarating, up-and-coming cities on 2008's travel map before everyone checks them out and checks them off.

We chose some of these cities for their burgeoning gay goings-on or progressive LGBT rights policies; some for their spectacular artistic and architectural wonders; some for their thrilling joie de vivre that's getting people in travel circles talking; some for just being damn sexy.

Grab your carry-on and get ready to go!

1. Santiago, Chile
Sashay south to Santiago: poised to become the next hot destination in South America. A small-but-burgeoning gay scene in Barrio Bellavista is where the city's gay happenings are concentrated. Men should check out the sizzling scene at packed, multistory dance club Bokhara (Pio Nono 430; +56-2-732-1050; www.gaychile.com/bokhara) or the dozen gay bars that fill to overflowing on weekends. Girls can join Santiago's slew of hot femmes at friendly Amor Del Bueno (Ernesto Pinto Lagarrigue 106), local joint Sui Generis (Bombero Nunez 336) and hopping dance club and bar Mascara (Purisima 129; +56-2-737-4123; mascaras@uole.com).

2. Valencia, Spain
Spain's third-largest city, Valencia basks contentedly on the sun-saturated coast south of Barcelona. Surrounded by dramatic mountains and glorious orange groves, the city boasts its own fantastic scenery -- impressive architecture, a character-steeped old town and lively lesbian and gay bars.

3. Austin, Texas
Long known as one of the most livable, liberal and free-thinking spots in the country, the home of the University of Texas and the hip South by Southwest Music and Film Festival offers a rockin' music and club scene on Sixth Street, and an integrated -- and growing -- gay and lesbian community.

4. Marseille, France
Provence's most exciting city, this sexy Southern gem basks on the Mediterranean coast. Dance clubs and gay and lesbian bars throb with life (www.gay-provence.org), markets bustle and a joyous, yet somehow gritty spirit pervades throughout France's second-largest city.

5. Denver, Colorado
The "Queen City of the Plains," as it was glamorously named in 1859, Denver is a clean, elegant city with 200 parks and 10 times as many restaurants. Undergoing an urban revival, the city's vibrant cultural scene and all sorts of secret hideaways beckon. The population of educated, fit and active denizens certainly adds to its appeal.

6. Dublin, Ireland
Amply endowed with gay bars and clubs, and home to a smorgasbord of tempting gay-flavored restaurants, the Irish capital offers an irresistible mix of irreverent charm, exuberance and tradition. Ireland is set to be the scene of same-sex civil unions in 2008, yet another somewhat surprising Catholic country to introduce such progressive legislation.

7. Cape Town, South Africa
Like Seattle, San Francisco and Sydney, Cape Town shares the magical combination of water, culture and geographical beauty that make for an extraordinary visit. The gay village teems with life; gay beaches, such as Sandy Bay, are perfect places to soak up the charms of South Africa's most enticing city.

8. Shanghai, China
If Beijing is like Washington, D.C. -- a government-dominated and monumental city -- Shanghai is an up-and-coming New York, with a brash commercial side, new skyscrapers surging up by the second, impatient drivers honking continuously and crowds clipping briskly along. Hot bar, restaurant and gay scenes are on the rise.

9. Istanbul, Turkey
There is something for everyone in Istanbul -- the modern, the traditional, nightlife, good food, history, art and monumental architecture, and friendly people. Slightly mysterious and exotic, and yet often comfortably familiar, Istanbul is one of Europe's largest cities -- although it feels like a collection of contradictory cities all intermingled and overlapped.

10. Cardiff, Wales
A well-kept secret, the capital of Wales is an unexpected delight. Restaurants, bars and boutiques line Mermaid Quay in the docklands that line Cardiff Bay, and the city boasts eight LGBT bars and clubs. The annual gay Mardi Gras celebration, held underneath Cardiff Castle every September, attracts up to 40,000 to the biggest gay party in Wales.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 1:34 AM
no its not...

Nice to see.....

....Denver on somebody's travel list for a change

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 6:01 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Wow. Quite an honor for Denver to be up there in the ranks with other prominent cities like Shanghai, Valencia, and Dublin! Yes, visit us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West