HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 8:01 PM

No Travel magazine reported last year that Colo Brews more beer that any place in the world with our Coors and Bud breweries plus over 2000 micro breweries. Im moving soon and pretty sure I still have the magazine…if I find it while im boxing everything ill post the article. It even talks about the bar next to Coors field that has more than 200 beers on tap.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 8:19 PM
ColoRADo

^2000 micro-breweries?! What?! There might be 80-100. Colorado may have 2000 micro-BREWS. I doubt it though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 10:39 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
GOOD NEWS!!!

Mecca achieved in Cherry Creek
Cherry Creek mall becomes one of only six in the nation to have Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Macy's.
By Elizabeth Aguilera
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/06/2007 05:29:14 PM MDT

(Post / Lyn Alweis)
The big bird has finally landed in Cherry Creek Shopping Center and it's wearing Seven For All Mankind jeans and Kate Spade shoes and carrying a Burberry handbag.

After circling the coveted Cherry Creek mall for years, Nordstrom Inc. is getting ready to open a top-of-the-line store Oct. 19.

Nordstrom's long-awaited arrival in the upscale shopping center ends years of effort to get into the area and raises the already high-end reputation of the Cherry Creek mall.

It isn't the first Nordstrom in the Front Range, but it represents the acquisition of a long-desired clientele.

In 1996, unable to garner a spot in the shopping center, the Seattle-based retailer set up shop at Park Meadows and later

Nordstrom store manager Yolanda Larson, left, looks over display fixtures for the Marni clothing line with Lauren Buchsbaum at the soon-to-open Cherry Creek site. (Post / Lyn Alweis)at FlatIron Crossing mall. As a result, Denver shoppers who longed for Nordstrom's storied shoe department had to head to the suburbs.
"For Cherry Creek, it represents a unique opportunity to regain market share that was lost when Nordstrom opened in the other two malls," said Nick LeMasters, general manager of the Cherry Creek Shopping Center. "The Denver customer that enjoys Nordstrom will be able to stay in Denver."

Nordstrom sees itself more as a boutique than a large department store, with a mix of unique merchandise, high-end designers and some of its own specially produced products: small specialty stores under one roof.

"We want to be where the best stores are," said Erik Nordstrom, the company's president of stores. "We want to be where there is a convergence of retail that attracts customers. We really like the mix of stores that are in Cherry Creek."

With Nordstrom, Cherry Creek becomes one of only six shopping malls in the nation that can claim Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Macy's as tenants, joining the ranks of such retail meccas as the Fashion Show Mall in Las Vegas and Fashion Valley in San Diego.

The arrival of Nordstrom will pad the

J.R. Pietz, left, first assistant manager, and Melinda Kopel, Salon Shoes department manager, conduct a meeting with shoe-department staffers. (Post / Lyn Alweis)offerings for upscale shoppers by adding a whole new merchandising base and presentation, said Britt Beemer, chairman and founder of America's Research Group.
"Their key thinking is that you have to be at the right location, and that is why they wait so long for the right location," Beemer said. Cherry Creek "is upscale, it's fashionable and it continues to be an avant-garde area."

The shopping center's track record speaks for itself, LeMasters said. It is in the top 1 percent of revenue-producing malls in the country, he said. The shopping center and Cherry Creek North combined make up the single-largest sales tax revenue generator for the city and county of Denver, LeMasters said.

"It was not difficult

Lingerie and hosiery manager Meaghan Deever, left, and Shawna Watts unpack merchandise in preparation for the store's opening. (Post / Lyn Alweis)for us to convince (Nordstrom) and it was not difficult for us to agree on a deal," LeMasters said.
The Cherry Creek mall customer demographic is 65 percent female, 35 percent male, with a household income at or above $100,000. The two groups that make up this demographic are affluent empty nesters and up-and-coming professionals in the 25-40-year-old range, typically with no children.

"We believe with the addition of Nordstrom we'll have everything they (core customers) desire now," LeMasters said.

Cherry Creek and Nordstrom have been courting for years. The first opportunity came when the shopping center was redeveloped in 1990, but Nordstrom didn't take a pad, LeMasters said.

The company waited until 1996 to open the Park Meadows store because "Part of it was that we wanted to be at the best mall, Cherry Creek, but we couldn't get in there," Peter Nordstrom told the Denver Post in 2005.

When Nordstrom opened the Park Meadows store, customers there began to ask for a store in Cherry Creek, Erik Nordstrom said.

"But it isn't that easy," he said. "It's a tight shopping center in an urban area, and it's been difficult for the developer to help us get there. We tried on many occasions going back to my dad and his cousins, but it didn't happen."

In the late 1990s, there were efforts to bring the retailer to the current Safeway location but that didn't come to fruition.

Not until two years ago, when Lord & Taylor announced it was closing its Colorado stores, did the opportunity arise.

In 2005 the May Department Stores Co., then-owner of Lord & Taylor, sold its Cherry Creek site to the mall's owner, Taubman Centers Inc., to end litigation between both parties. That move allowed Nordstrom to obtain the space.

In March 2005 Nordstrom negotiated a deal to take over the Lord & Taylor pad.

As Nordstrom has remodeled the site to its own style, other retailers have been primping for their new neighbor.

In the spring, Saks unveiled an updated look, and in Cherry Creek North, Andrisen Morton Women's underwent a $1 million renovation. Executives at both stores said they were partly motivated by a desire to capture their share of the new traffic Nordstrom will generate.

"Anytime you have a new competitor coming into the market, you want to look at what you can offer
," Saks general manager Kay Cline said when the store revealed its new look. "You want customers to find something new in your store as well."

Nordstrom has expanded the Lord & Taylor space to 138,000 square feet, making it the mall's second-largest department store after Macy's.

Nordstrom's other two stores in the area are much larger. The Park Meadows store is 245,000 square feet and FlatIron Crossing's is 172,000 square feet.

But Erik Nordstrom said that, in recent years, most of the stores the company has opened have averaged 140,000 square feet. That's largely because, as with Cherry Creek, the company has been moving into existing malls in urban areas as opposed to new shopping centers.

LeMasters expects the new store to significantly boost Cherry Creek's already high sales.

"There's no question we expect more considerable volume out of this store than Lord & Taylor ever produced," he said.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Last edited by blm3034L!fe; Oct 9, 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:56 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Ooooo how ritzly glitzy I feel now! Where are the other 5, out of curiousity? SoCal somewhere, NYC...Chicago by Barrington...be interesting to know.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 9:54 PM

Also FYI There are 2 more Nordstrom's being developed in the metro area one at the new mall S/E Aurora/Centennial and one near where I reside at 144th and Huron at the new mall being developed in my area, Im in the 120's Del Norte!!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:27 AM

Denver new home of snow sports exhibition

The Denver Business Journal

The association that puts on the largest snowsports exhibition in the U.S. every year has signed a 10-year contract with the Denver Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau to hold its annual conventions in Denver starting in 2011, the association's spokeswoman confirmed late Monday.

The Snowsports Industries of America SIA, will bring an estimated $30 million in spending to Denver every year it's in town. Each year, the SIA has about 450 exhibitors from the ski industry at its annual conventions and roughly 17,000 people attend.

Gov. Bill Ritter, Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper and DMCVB president & CEO Richard Scharf are expected to formally announce the new agreement at a Oct. 30 news conference. SIA president David Ingemie also will be in Denver for the announcement, SIA spokeswoman Lori Crabtree said.

The SIA is a national not-for-profit winter sports trade association based in McLean, Virginia.

From Jan. 29 to Feb. 1, 2008, SIA's convention will be held in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Convention Center where it's been held for several years.

Retailers, resorts and snowsports apparel and equipment manufacturers representing more than a thousand brand names are among those represented at the annual conventions.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:51 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I just read that this afternoon, and it's a HUGE deal for the Denver economy! A massive convention like that signing up for 10 years? Damn, that's a hell of a coup for the Convention Center!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:13 AM
Posh

Of interest to Coloradans (and Utahans and Wyomingites - or whatever y'all are called )
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140404

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:25 AM

If Shale truly becomes feasible, you'll see a huge building boom in downtown denver. Your talking huge economic changes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:51 PM
no its not...

While not so good for the average consumer......

......All indications say cost per barrel will go over one hundred dollars soon and probably stay there. Government offices certainly would increase too with so much of the shale being on government land. I hope the new process is as viable as they say.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:50 PM
Up Up and Away

If oil shale becomes economically feasible, Denver will have the most to gain from it. Rather than being a city with regional headquarters for many energy companies, it may become a place for international headquarters for energy companies.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:10 AM

Figured this is semi-economic:

United Airlines To Start Denver-London Flight

(AP) DENVER United Airlines will start a nonstop flight between Denver and London next spring.

The Chicago-based airline, which has the biggest market share at Denver International Airport, said Thursday the service will begin March 30. It is part of United's move to boost international business under the new Open Skies agreement.

United will introduce the daily flight, offering both passenger and cargo service, with promotional fares between DIA and London Heathrow.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermeteor View Post
Figured this is semi-economic:

United Airlines To Start Denver-London Flight

(AP) DENVER United Airlines will start a nonstop flight between Denver and London next spring.

The Chicago-based airline, which has the biggest market share at Denver International Airport, said Thursday the service will begin March 30. It is part of United's move to boost international business under the new Open Skies agreement.

United will introduce the daily flight, offering both passenger and cargo service, with promotional fares between DIA and London Heathrow.
Very cool, so how many international flights does Denver Actually have? Anyone know? As this City progress's I'm sure we will gain more. Anyway good news in my book!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
Very cool, so how many international flights does Denver Actually have? Anyone know? As this City progress's I'm sure we will gain more. Anyway good news in my book!!!
That makes two carriers to London - United and British Airways. Two destinations in Germany via Lufthansa - Frankfurt and Munich. Frontier has a new flight to San Jose, Costa Rica. There are several dozen flights a day to Mexico and Canada. Now I'm waiting for non-stop service to Paris - come on Air France!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:41 AM
no its not...

Salt Lake City and even Boise think they may stand to gain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
If oil shale becomes economically feasible, Denver will have the most to gain from it. Rather than being a city with regional headquarters for many energy companies, it may become a place for international headquarters for energy companies.
....But I think Denver would become the focal point for offices

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
....But I think Denver would become the focal point for offices
Everyone will benefit.. but your right about Denver. The conversation begins and ends with DIA. Although fast tracks and the other infrastructure improvements help a ton. I've been involved in location decisions in the past, and I can assure you that the ability to quickly move in and out of the city is absolutely key.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:54 PM

Aerotropolis

Not sure if this article has been mentioned or not, its not really Denver/Colorado specific, but I find it fascinating and applicable nonetheless.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...otropolis.html

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:22 PM
Stay Thirsty.

very interesting article. I love how the author mentions Memphis as the "only" readily available heavy cargo hub in the U.S. though, HA! Has he heard of DIA? HE knows it's the third largest airport by land in the WORLD, right? We have tons of room to expand, and, if I'm not mistaken, we had this conversation of Denver becoming an expanding cargo hub in the past.

Still, very interesting. But, how come Thailand's airport will only cost about 3 1/2 billion dollars to build, when DIA cost 50 billion? Is the labor that much cheaper there or something?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:39 PM
no its not...

I thought DIA's cost was.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRey View Post
very interesting article. I love how the author mentions Memphis as the "only" readily available heavy cargo hub in the U.S. though, HA! Has he heard of DIA? HE knows it's the third largest airport by land in the WORLD, right? We have tons of room to expand, and, if I'm not mistaken, we had this conversation of Denver becoming an expanding cargo hub in the past.

Still, very interesting. But, how come Thailand's airport will only cost about 3 1/2 billion dollars to build, when DIA cost 50 billion? Is the labor that much cheaper there or something?
...something like 6 or 7 billion, which was way over budget at the time. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:45 PM

Cheap labor I am guessing, maybe that fee doesn't cover land costs?

I am heading over to Thailand here in 2 weeks, will be interesting to check that airport out.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West