HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:36 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
The way to make urban roads safer for all is to force them to slow down.
Traffic calming works in neighborhoods and urbanized places, but is a terrible idea on any arterial road where a viable alternative isn't within a half-mile.

Scenario #1: BAD EXAMPLE

NE Ainsworth Street in Portland, Oregon. This should've been an important collector road. Instead of setting a reasonable speed limit of 35-40, the city of Portland decided to install traffic calming (25 MPH, speed bumps, calming curves, bulb outs, etc.)

Did it make drivers slow down? Sure. On Ainsworth.

Where did many drivers go? A block or two north or south of Ainsworth, where we'd find other 25 MPH roads that we could (illegally) open it up to 40 miles per hour. I wasn't alone. Collectively, we made those neighborhoods much more dangerous than they needed to be, all thanks to poorly-thought-out traffic calming on Ainsworth.

When you don't reward drivers with higher speed limits on arterial/collectors, they lose all incentive to drive where they are supposed to drive, and wind up blasting through neighborhoods and down side streets. Everybody loses. It's fine to calm certain streets, especially neighborhoods or those roads with an urban setting. But you have to replace those roads by adding mobility (speed/capacity) on a parallel road nearby.

Scenario #2: POTENTIALLY GOOD EXAMPLE

5600 West in West Valley City is a five-lane (potential for seven) arterial road with a 45 MPH speed limit. One day, a TRAX line will run down the middle of the street, which will force a reduction in the speed limit. Transit-oriented development along the road will urbanize its character. Simply lowering the speed limit and adding traffic-calming features would be devastating to mobility on the west side.

Fortunately, good planning places the Mountain View Corridor less than one-half mile west, parallel to 5600 West. This future freeway will absorb the capacity needs lost from 5600 West once it is calmed and urbanized.

Scenario #3: GOOD EXAMPLE

North Temple street saw a reduction in its speed limit when it was calmed and urbanized for the Airport TRAX line. Since it parallels I-80, the freeway absorbed the mobility needs for that part of the city.

TL;dr: You can't just add traffic calming without offering a replacement capacity someplace else.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I was just going to post that. Saw the model at FanX / Comic Co. Yesterday. Their pitch in person is pretty...interesting. Evidently the guy who wants it has
already put $20 million into it. And maybe there's more demand for Victorian/Steampunk stuff than I thought? Just seems excessive and silly. But that's just me.
Those were some of my first thoughts too Jedi. Although I was intrigued I thought, this seems like someone has more money than they know what to do with. The more info I read about it,
the more on board and enthusiastic I became. It's like a Victorian Themed Williamsburg, with all of the appropriately dressed actors and reenactment of the Victorian London era. I think it's
going to be a pretty cool activity for the metro as a whole. I can imagine kids really getting in to it.

I also wondered about who was bankrolling the thing. I'm going to assume it's a group of individuals. Also, after seeing the pic below, I will assume Ken Bretschneider,(who is building Air 7
in Salt Lake) is part of the investor group. Ken is the guy in the back row, with gray top hat, 4th from the left.

http://saltlakecomiccon.com

Established in 2013, Evermore Park LLC was founded to build a forty acre theme Park like none other. Set in Victorian London, Evermore Park’s event schedule consists of Ripper’s Cove,
a Fall and Halloween season event, Christmas Cove for the Holiday and Winter season, and a series of week long events, weekend celebrations and weekly activities all Summer long.

Evermore Park is in the beautiful Utah Valley, in the city of Pleasant Grove. The park will be open six days a week and will have 16 retail locations with 3 restaurants. The park will feature a
1 ½ acre lake, 2 ½ acre town square with performances, 4 unique gardens and 5 attraction spaces, with a large cast of talented performers.

Evermore Park’s unique atmosphere and talented cast and crew supply a fun and exciting entertainment experience throughout the year. As guests explore Evermore Park, they will
encounter opportunities to purchase premium food, drink and merchandise inspired by and reflecting the Victorian Era. This memorable guest experience will help to cement Evermore
Park as an entertainment icon and destination experience they will want to visit again and again.

Guests will delight in experiencing “Ripper’s Cove” (August through early November), where patrons will be transported into a unique story set in the Victorian London Era during the murders
of Jack the Ripper. This thrilling story is written by New York Times, best selling author Tracy Hickman. Ripper’s Cove will feature 5 attractions, each a chapter in the story: Old Town
Victorian London, 3D Steel Mill and Mirror Maze, Lake/Cove, Forest of Horrors, Hedge Maze and Governor’s Mansion. Guests will be able to take an exciting boat ride across Ripper’s Cove
to explore the sunken city, and then climb aboard the Ghost Ship. A full scale, 3 decked, galleon ghost ship floating on a 1 ½ acre lake. The ship is known as “The Dementor” and appears
to be wrecked on the rocky shoreline. The cargo hold of the ship is a tumble of wreckage consisting of many mysterious, ancient artifacts from around the world, that were to be delivered
to the emporium in the town square. Only a few of the crew remains, and these men seem to be “changed”.

In addition to the Pirate Ship, the lake is home to Siren Island. Be warned of the Siren’s Song, these beautiful yet menacing creatures will entice you and will try to lure you to their “Island
Paradise."

This is only a small sampling of the entertainment that awaits you during the Haunt Season at the park. The Victorian setting of Evermore creates a unique experience sure to thrill and scare
in the mysterious atmosphere set for Halloween. The park then transforms into a magical, whimsical Charles Dickens Christmas setting, November through January.

Old London town creates the perfect backdrop for many spring and summer events. In the spring and summer, the Park is turned into a Carnival style venue to host various events. The park
will become home to: theater performances, grand concerts, conventions, masquerade balls, themed events, fairs and festivals. Evermore Park is the perfect place to host grand
Pirate/Mermaid Festivals, Lantern Festivals, parades, promenades, themed 5K runs, Farmers Markets, Fairy/Princess Festivals, Comic Con and Sundance after parties, and many more
amazing events!

It is without question, that Evermore Park will surely be a “go to” destination for those seeking quality entertainment, the thrill of a haunt, the reenactment of an era long past, period
clothing, shopping, and concessions, all set in a unique theme park full of adventure and amusement – an experience like non other.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:33 AM

Okay...Indeed, this was posted only a couple of days ago. My assumption was correct. Seems though like he's involved even more than I thought. Speaking of Ken Bretschneider, what's the latest
on his Air 7 development downtown? Has anyone ventured past the site lately?

Conversations with Ken Bretschneider of Evermore Park By Joseph Gonzalez on April 19, 2014

http://www.imperialcodex.com/?p=130

While covering the event for my new hyper local game news site, GamesGrind.com, I had the opportunity to meet Ken Bretschneider at the Evermore booth. I had never met Ken, but I had
heard of him – even though I didn’t remember during our first introduction. One of his associates was kind enough to make the introduction after I had asked if we might be able to do an
interview with their group.

Evermore Park is a massive theme park that Ken and his company are developing in Utah County. To say that the project is ambitious would be one hell of an understatement. The scale and
logistics of what they’re trying to accomplish is a Herculean task. I was immediately impressed with the openness and friendliness of the man. I can tell you from experience that it’s not
common to have a CEO of a large company greet you with a smile and a friendly handshake if they don’t know who you are.

In our follow up conversation with him, my team and I were given a high level overview of the development of Evermore... Read More http://www.imperialcodex.com/?p=130

http://www.imperialcodex.com

Last edited by delts145; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:48 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

To reiterate that point that was made, traffic can be slightly slowed and thus safer not be installing "traffic Calming Devices" but simply by overall design. Drivers drive feel comfortable driving the speed that roads are designed for, and that is usually well above the posted speed limit.

You use the N. Temple example. It still has great capacity and yes they lowered the posted speed limit, but they also designed it for a slower speed. Adding a bike lane, trees and the Trax curbs ultimately leads to a safer road because the designed speed is slower.

Traffic calming doesn't have to be speed bumps, but widening a road DOES NOT make a road safer. Study after study has shown this. It results in drivers feeling more comfortable at driving at higher speeds.

A great example in Salt Lake City is 1300 S east of State. The road still handles the same amount of traffic volume, but it is substantially more safe because they removed a lane in each direction, added bike lanes and a middle turn lane. The speed stayed the same, but because they reduced the # of lanes it has resulted in an overall safer road, with people driving much closer to the actual posted speed limit and continues to move the same volume of traffic.

Things as simple as a slightly narrower driving lane, and trees on the park strip are very effective traffic calming devices. These don't reduce capacity, and the speed limits can stay the same, yet they result in a much safer road for drivers, bikers and pedestrians.

WIDER IS NOT SAFER!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
To reiterate that point that was made, traffic can be slightly slowed and thus safer not be installing "traffic Calming Devices" but simply by overall design. Drivers drive feel comfortable driving the speed that roads are designed for, and that is usually well above the posted speed limit.

You use the N. Temple example. It still has great capacity and yes they lowered the posted speed limit, but they also designed it for a slower speed. Adding a bike lane, trees and the Trax curbs ultimately leads to a safer road because the designed speed is slower.

Traffic calming doesn't have to be speed bumps, but widening a road DOES NOT make a road safer. Study after study has shown this. It results in drivers feeling more comfortable at driving at higher speeds.

A great example in Salt Lake City is 1300 S east of State. The road still handles the same amount of traffic volume, but it is substantially more safe because they removed a lane in each direction, added bike lanes and a middle turn lane. The speed stayed the same, but because they reduced the # of lanes it has resulted in an overall safer road, with people driving much closer to the actual posted speed limit and continues to move the same volume of traffic.

Things as simple as a slightly narrower driving lane, and trees on the park strip are very effective traffic calming devices. These don't reduce capacity, and the speed limits can stay the same, yet they result in a much safer road for drivers, bikers and pedestrians.

WIDER IS NOT SAFER!
You've explained it a lot better than I can. Lowering speed limits isn't totally necessary I agree, but I still think that could be a measure taken in some areas.

I would also like to see more of those pedestrian crossings with their own stoplights around. Why do you think there's so many auto-pedestrian accidents not just here but all over? You typically get these huge blocks between stoplights that just have no safe crossings. For example, State Street has no lights between 3300 and 3900 S, and no crosswalks. It's not as easy as simply walking to the nearest light to cross, because it simply takes too much time if you're in the mid-block. The same can really be said of any long stretch of road like that.

A great example of a place that I think could be re-designed to fit Future Mayor's example is 2100 South by Sugarhouse Park, between 1300 and 1700 East. There's extra lanes of traffic there for absolutely no reason - in the entire time I used to live up there, I never saw that road congested. They could easily add a middle turn lane, convert the sides into bike lanes, and plant more trees along the roadsides. It's especially important I think because it's near a high school and runs along a park. All very important for pedestrian access.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 11:36 AM

Nordstrom Rack coming to Orem

Genelle Pugmire Daily Herald

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...b48e69131.html

The University Crossing shopping plaza in Orem, which will be home to a new Nordstrom Rack, is seen on Thursday

"We're excited about the opportunity to bring a Nordstrom Rack to University Crossing," said Geevy Thomas, president of Nordstrom Rack. "We are fortunate to have many loyal customers in the Orem community who know us well, and we look forward to serving them with many of the same great brands we carry in Nordstrom stores at Nordstrom Rack prices."...

...The Nordstrom news comes as part of a bigger announcement that the shopping center will rearrange and upgrade its look. The Outback Steakhouse currently contiguous to the center will build its own standalone building closer to University Parkway near In-N-Out Burger. Pier 1 Imports will move into the Outback location, and Nordstrom Rack will fill the vacant Sears Outlet store and current Pier 1 location.

The Nordstrom Rack store, after the hefty remodel, will be approximately 30,000 square feet...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 4:04 PM

I have to smile at Genelle Pugmire's opening comment in her article above about the opening of a Nordstrom Rack in Orem. She said that " Shoppers in Orem were getting their own epic announcement on Thursday." Seemed like she was having a little bit of a laugh over what Provo was deeming "epic." Hmm... I guess we'll see how epic today's announcement in Provo will be. Hopefully, it will be something like a major construction project. A big hotel downtown or something similar.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:41 AM

Australian investment group steps in to complete UTOPIA

By Madeleine Brown, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...te-UTOPIA.html

SALT LAKE CITY — After more than a decade, the original vision for Utah’s fiber-optic network project UTOPIA may finally be realized, thanks to an Australian investment group.

Sydney-based Macquarie Capital Group wants to finish building the network that has been plagued by inconsistent financing and construction.

The idea for the Utah Telecommunications Open Infrastructure Agency began 12 years ago to bring high Internet speeds — as fast as 1 gigabit per second — to individuals and businesses.

The 11 cities that originally signed on with UTOPIA and now will decide whether to opt in to Macquarie's proposal are Brigham City, Centerville, Layton, Lindon, Midvale, Murray, Orem, Payson, Perry, Tremonton and West Valley City.

“One of the big potential advantages to this proposal is it would build up a whole system, and the system would finally have the scale of connections, and therefore customers, that would be able to fulfill the vision that it was originally started with,” said Wayne Pyle, West Valley city manager and chairman of the UTOPIA board of trustees...

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:22 AM

Lehi - New Mountain Point Medical Center - Under Construction

http://utahvalley360.com

Layton Construction has already begun work on the project and is
expected to finish in the spring of 2015. The new 40-bed Mountain
Point Medical Center, will be located across from Thanksgiving Point
on the east side of I-15 and will span 28 acres.

“In this new era of health care delivery, we are proud to be
expanding our family of health care services to meet the growing
needs of northern Utah County,” said Ed Lamb, Western Division
President of IASIS, which owns hospitals, outpatient service facilities
and physician clinics across the western and southern United States.
“This is an example of fulfilling our mission to provide high quality,
affordable care.”

The medical center will include a full-service emergency department,
intensive care unit, Women’s Center, cardiac catheterization
lab, comprehensive diagnostic imaging lab, surgical and labor and
delivery suites, children’s services and an adjacent medical building
offering a range of physician services.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:57 PM

Midtown Village sees new hope

Genelle Pugmire Daily Herald

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...58881f1aa.html

...The new development would feature 549 units, with retail and restaurants on the main level of both the south and north buildings. Two additional six-story buildings would go up on the west side, where there is currently a big hole in the ground. The first thing for the builders is to get a zone change to PD-23 to allow for mixed use in a specific zone along State Street. They must also hold neighborhood meetings while continuing their due diligence to purchase the project...

Orem's Midtown Village, shown above, the "defunct" development on State Street might be getting new life after application was made on Monday for a zone change and site plan approval.

Last edited by delts145; May 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:28 PM

that's good to hear, but unfortunately, at this point my opinion is: I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, news in Spanish Fork. They have started moving dirt between the Costco Gas Station and the Kneaders. It's a fairly good sized footprint where they're moving the dirt. I have wonder if the movie theaters are being built there... anybody know more than my unsubstantiated guess?

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:08 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I really hope the Orem City will easily allow the zone change to mixed use. If they don't they are idiots and the worlds longest strip mall will continue. If Orem wants to continue to grow in population it's going to have to allow for mixed use zoning all along the State Street corridor and even one to two blocks off State in each direction.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:43 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Also, news in Spanish Fork. They have started moving dirt between the Costco Gas Station and the Kneaders. It's a fairly good sized footprint where they're moving the dirt. I have wonder if the movie theaters are being built there... anybody know more than my unsubstantiated guess?
The DRC has reviewed a site plan for lots 6 & 7 of Phase Four (north of 1000 N and west of US 6) at 515 E 1000 N. I've been checking all my resources and the only place I've seen/heard the movie theater going is north of Taco Time.

It also appears that dirt work is also happening north of Starbucks along US 6. Some of it could simply be a place to put dirt or bringing some of the areas "up to grade."

I've seen that both Mattress Firm and Good Earth Natural Foods will be in Phase Two (south of 1000 N and west of US 6).

Unrelated to Canyon Creek, but still related to Spanish Fork development, construction on the new JoAnn's where Bajio and the former Little Caesars location should be commencing soon. They will be tearing down the section that diagonals off the main strip mall and constructing a new building for JoAnn's.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 3:38 PM

Utah County could see nearly 1 million new residents by 2050

"You may be in the face of a population tsunami," said Robert Grow, president and CEO of Envision Utah. "You are sitting on a powder keg of growth here."

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com

Billy Hesterman Daily Herald

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...dc88a8ba9.html

Utah County is primed for a huge population explosion during the next 30 years.

In a presentation to the Utah County Commission on Tuesday, representatives with Envision Utah, a public-private partnership created to strategically create planning strategies in the state, estimated Utah County could increase in population by as much as 840,000 residents by 2050.

"You may be in the face of a population tsunami," said Robert Grow, president and CEO of Envision Utah. "You are sitting on a powder keg of growth here."

Grow explained to the commissioners that, overall, Utah is expected to see a dramatic increase in population by 2.5 million individuals by 2050. He said a good portion of that growth will be in Utah County, as a study done by RCLCO Real Estate Advisors found that the county has a large amount of land still available to develop when compared to the other three highly populated counties in the state.

The study found Utah County has double the available acreage to build on when compared to Salt Lake, Davis and Weber Counties combined. Utah County has more than 207,000 acres available to be developed, a large portion of it on the west side of Utah Lake.

Grow told the commission that government leaders in the county will need to be aware of that fact as it will impact how governments deal with issues such as water and sewer needs, air quality, transportation, economic development and education in the future.

Grow also explained the population growth will largely be in the age range that usually includes families -- the 30-64 age range. He said that statistic is key, as that will mean cities will want to plan for more single-family homes to be built, citing studies that have shown families want a house and yard and aren't as keen on downtown condominium living...read more... http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...dc88a8ba9.html

Last edited by delts145; May 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:34 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I sure hope they start building some serious density at and near FrontRunner stops and the future BRT stops. Otherwise it's going to get really ugly down there.

I wouldn't mind seeing BRT run down State St through Orem. Perhaps from the future Vineyard Front Runner stop up to State and continuing down the hill and joining up with the first BRT along University Ave. State St in Orem could easily accommodate some serious density.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Robert Grow ... that's an ironic name for his position.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 3:07 PM

_________________________________________Xactware celebrates new Lehi headquarters with a bang

THE BUILDING AND CAMPUS
•At four stories and 210,000 square feet, the new Xactware headquarters has capacity for up to 1,000 employees.
•The Xactware campus covers 13 acres and features numerous amenities for employees, including: ◦A 3,000-square-foot fitness center
◦A beach volleyball court
◦Two outdoor basketball courts
◦A 5,000-square-foot pavilion area that has seating for 500
◦An indoor bicycle garage with space for 30 bicycles

•The building is slated to receive LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
•A two-story onsite parking terrace with capacity for 700 vehicles.

THE AREA
•The Xactware is within walking distance of a future TRAX station.
•The campus is two miles from the Lehi FrontRunner station at Thanksgiving Point, with a UTA bus connection to the Xactware building.
•Employees who enjoy biking and walking have quick access to the nearby Murdock Canal Trail.
•The Xactware campus is located next to the Outlets at Traverse Mountain, with more than 100 retail stores and amenities.

Cathy Allred Daily Herald

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...0ca0ff971.html

LEHI -- Twenty confetti cannons shot metallic blue and silver streamers into the sky simultaneously as 50 homing pigeons flew into the air, capping Xactware’s inaugural ceremony for its new corporate headquarters...

Streamers fall from the sky at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Xactware building in Lehi on Thursday, May 15, 2014. SPENSER HEAPS, Daily Herald

...As part of the celebration, it is also Xactware’s Founders Week. Each day, the employees have worked in shifts of approximately 50 people to serve on projects in surrounding communities. Xactware took on two projects in Lehi -- landscaping the Lehi Outdoor Pool Park, and landscaping and cleaning the Lehi Cemetery.

“If there is a business in town that has done more than Xactware, I don’t know who it is,” Wilson said.

He added, perhaps joking, that Lehi is now the center of the universe for what’s happening globally, including its business and population growth.

Continuing along that line of thinking, Gov. Gary Herbert, who was on hand for the celebration, said the state wants to be a contender globally for the economic market.

“See these slopes? This is just like Silicon Valley, and we have better skiing,” Herbert said.

According to the governor, Utah has the third-most diversified market economy in America...

SPENSER HEAPS, Daily Herald

Last edited by delts145; Jun 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 4:04 PM

_________________________________________________Grand Opening Museum Of Natural Curiosity

Museum-of-Natural-Curiosity

Thanksgiving Point founder Karen Ashton, center,
cheers along with Governor Gary Herbert and his wife, Jeanette, right, at
the grand opening of Thanksgiving Point's Museum of Natural Curiosity in
Lehi on Thursday, May 15, 2014. SPENSER HEAPS, Daily Herald

Related Story by: Cathy Allred

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...6b6633709.html

...Project plans began in 2007 for the 45,000-square-foot museum of interactive creativity and learning. It started as a collaboration with Thanksgiving Point staff, local educators and
community advocates.

Five interactive exhibit areas were drawn out for the museum: Rainforest, Kidapolis, Water Works, Discovery Garden and Innovations Gallery...

...Children entered Thursday morning's event with some trepidation as they took in what was waiting for them inside the building. Their faces of wonder and joy said it all -- the museum is
a large playground to explore, experience and learn.

“It’s fun to see the interaction with kids and parents,” said Page Schaefer, guest service manager. “It’s fun to see parents come here with children and find themselves acting like a curious child.
That is my favorite part."...

by Spenser Heaps, Daily Herald

http://www.tasteandtellblog.com

Last edited by delts145; Jun 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 2:12 PM

Northern Utah County cities facing explosive growth

Saratoga Springs

http://www.utahlake.org

Hannah Ballard Correspondent

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...edium=internal

A recent study by utahfoundation.org found that the projected state population will just about double by 2050, thanks in part to a high birth rate, a strong economy and a low cost of living.

Nowhere is that expected to be more evident than in the northern Utah County cities of Lehi, Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs.

While Lehi already finds itself in the middle of a population boom, Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs appear to be the epicenters for the next wave of residents. Each city is predicted to grow in the 500 percent range in the next 35 years.A recent study by utahfoundation.org found that the projected state population will just about double by 2050, thanks in part to a high birth rate, a strong economy and a low cost of living.

Nowhere is that expected to be more evident than in the northern Utah County cities of Lehi, Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs.

Eagle Mountain

http://www.utahvalley.com

While Lehi already finds itself in the middle of a population boom, Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs appear to be the epicenters for the next wave of residents. Each city is predicted to grow in the 500 percent range in the next 35 years.

Owen Jackson, Saratoga Springs' public relations manager, said the city is already expanding.

“We have 22,000 people, as of now, and we want to know what is that going to look like and how are we going to get there," Jackson said. "We’ve already grown about 30 percent from that last population estimate of 17,000."

Jackson said the city is already holding strategic planning meetings to address how to best accommodate the expected influx of many new residents.

“It’s a committee of residents that will help determine what direction the city wants to go," he said. "The plan will provide a greater guiding direction for future decisions. It’s a great way to see exactly what residents want.”

Robert Ranc, an assistant to the Lehi city administrator, believes location is the key reason behind his city becoming a popular home for big business, and the resulting population boom that has taken place in recent years.

“Particularly commercially, Lehi is right at the heart of the Wasatch Front, between Provo and Salt Lake City," Ranc said. "Provo and Salt Lake provide a lot of young, educated work force, and Lehi has a lot of greenfield land, land that’s never been built on, that’s more cost-effective for construction."

He added there are plans in place to help with the growing pains.

“We have master planning in place for our city, where we will need roads, infrastructures, to make sure that we are ready for the influx of people,” Ranc said.

Just last year Utah ranked as the fifth-fastest-growing state in the country. Ranc offered that it’s logical why Utah is attracting so many new residents.

“It’s really a number of things. Some states are population exporters, but Utah is receiving a lot of that in-migration," Ranc said.

"We have one of the best state economies in the country, great universities that help keep the young, educated population in Utah, a great cost of living, and a wonderful outdoor-oriented lifestyle. It’s a wonderful place to live."

Owen Jackson, Saratoga Springs' public relations manager, said the city is already expanding.

“We have 22,000 people, as of now, and we want to know what is that going to look like and how are we going to get there," Jackson said. "We’ve already grown about 30 percent from that last population estimate of 17,000."

Jackson said the city is already holding strategic planning meetings to address how to best accommodate the expected influx of many new residents.

“It’s a committee of residents that will help determine what direction the city wants to go," he said. "The plan will provide a greater guiding direction for future decisions. It’s a great way to see exactly what residents want.”

Robert Ranc, an assistant to the Lehi city administrator, believes location is the key reason behind his city becoming a popular home for big business, and the resulting population boom that has taken place in recent years.

“Particularly commercially, Lehi is right at the heart of the Wasatch Front, between Provo and Salt Lake City," Ranc said. "Provo and Salt Lake provide a lot of young, educated work force, and Lehi has a lot of greenfield land, land that’s never been built on, that’s more cost-effective for construction."

He added there are plans in place to help with the growing pains.

“We have master planning in place for our city, where we will need roads, infrastructures, to make sure that we are ready for the influx of people,” Ranc said.

Just last year Utah ranked as the fifth-fastest-growing state in the country. Ranc offered that it’s logical why Utah is attracting so many new residents.

“It’s really a number of things. Some states are population exporters, but Utah is receiving a lot of that in-migration," Ranc said.

"We have one of the best state economies in the country, great universities that help keep the young, educated population in Utah, a great cost of living, and a wonderful outdoor-oriented lifestyle. It’s a wonderful place to live."

Last edited by delts145; May 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:37 PM

Real estate market activity during this month seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of last year for buyers.

"It’s happening all over town as developers are gobbling up land and planning new neighborhoods with some already digging dirt."

Roger Hardy, Daily Herald

http://www.heraldextra.com/blogs/com...9d21771d1.html

The real estate market activity during this month seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of last year for buyers. According to the Wasatch Front Multiple Listing Service, 877 homes in Utah County have come on the market as new listings in the last 30 days. At the same time, 502 homes have sold.

In Salt Lake County, 1,578 homes have been listed in the last 30 days and 1,055 homes have sold. Potential buyers shouldn’t wait. With a strong buyer's market, combined with nearly all-time low mortgage rates, now’s the time to get a great deal on your dream home.

I dropped by the Saratoga Springs city planning office the other day and was amazed at the amount of new development activity going on out there. It’s happening all over town as developers are gobbling up land and planning new neighborhoods with some already digging dirt...

Last edited by delts145; May 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West