HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 6:51 PM

Is there any way to avoid having that park get built? The area already has a massive surplus of under-utilized parkland. This is our last chance at seeing some proper (ie. not suburban) density in Yaletown.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ummmm... no. Concord has benefited by billions, I think they'll be ok without us continuing to bend over for them.

I don't blame them for taking advantage of the rules, but clearly it needs to stop.
Billions?! Ah-hem. I say they deserve the millions earned. Give any Tom Dick and Harry developer the individual lots in Yaletown back in the 80s/90s and today we'll probably have stunted 4-6 storeyed woodframes there, cuz they're 'more European' and they 'fit Vancouver better'/'not disrupt the view cones'. I'm glad Concord took the initiatives to introduce something of a much grander scale.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Is there any way to avoid having that park get built? The area already has a massive surplus of under-utilized parkland. This is our last chance at seeing some proper (ie. not suburban) density in Yaletown.
Yes, my thoughts too. Would be nice to have the riverine walk development akin to Melbourne's Southbank:

http://m.visitvictoria.com/Regions/M...leRedirected=1

Why not have what 'the world's most liveable city' has?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:41 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Salient at it again... This time the old Nood building and the one directly to the west.

Quote:
151-155 Water Street and 157 Water Street - Enquiry B(M) and C(M)

The enquiry was received to redevelop these two heritage sites, both municipally designated, by rehabilitating 151-155 Water Street and reconstructing 157 Water Street. It is proposed that 151-155 Water Street be rehabilitated to accommodate a rooftop, set-back addition, and retention and rehabilitation of the principal façade. 157 Water Street was found very challenging to rehabilitate due to its low ceiling heights. As a result, it has been proposed that the building be reconstructed to provide fully functional interior and to be reminiscent of its historic architectural character. Two functionally consolidated sites will provide total of 79,495 sq. ft. of commercial office and retail space, and two levels of underground parking.
The maximum proposed height is 82 feet.

The proponent’s team will present the project, feasibility study as well as an architectural/urban design rationale that informed the proposed redevelopment project. The heritage consultant, Donald Luxton and Associates Inc., will present the conservation plan for both sites and elaborate on how the proposal addresses the policy requirement to preserve the historic character of the Water Street streetscape.
No heritage incentives have been requested. The project will be presented to the Vancouver Heritage Commission and possibly to GHAPC again, once the formal development permit application is received. The applicant is looking forward to receiving committee’s feedback.

Issues: - Demolition of the designated heritage building (157 Water Street)
- Architectural design of the reconstructed building (157 Water Street)
- Proposed rooftop addition to 151-155 Water Street
- Impact on Water Street historic streetscape
- Maximum proposed height of 82 feet (75 feet allowed)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
banning commercial uses just removes some profit, and won't incentivize them to develop the adjacent areas and build the park.
Sure, the incentive might be low, but right now they are making thousands in profit every time there's an event at Rogers or BC Place. That's more than enough to keep the lights on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
So the ultimate question is - in the interim, do you want a vacant lot, or something that may contribute to the community?
If the latter, then tax accordingly (rather than prohibiting it).
We agree here. It should be taxed according to use, which right now is limited commercial potential, but not "a park".

Compare to Concert's property near science world. It has been occasionally used for parking, perhaps privately as I've seen film trucks there and trucks supporting concerts at Rogers Arena. What is it zoned as?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Sure, the incentive might be low, but right now they are making thousands in profit every time there's an event at Rogers or BC Place. That's more than enough to keep the lights on.

We agree here. It should be taxed according to use, which right now is limited commercial potential, but not "a park".

Compare to Concert's property near science world. It has been occasionally used for parking, perhaps privately as I've seen film trucks there and trucks supporting concerts at Rogers Arena. What is it zoned as?
Do we really need a park though? there's plenty of green space all around science world and along the cycling path

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxstock View Post
Do we really need a park though? there's plenty of green space all around science world and along the cycling path
Living in an apartment with close proximity to several parks, I've gotta say, the more parks the better. When you live in a small apartment, adjacent parks are kind of necessary.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Compare to Concert's property near science world. It has been occasionally used for parking,
perhaps privately as I've seen film trucks there and trucks supporting concerts at Rogers Arena. What is it zoned as?
That Concert lot is also used for the Racer's Village for the Alcan Dragon Boat Festival - which is non-profit.

Other "park" properties with interim uses that come to mind:

SEFC West Park (as previously mentioned above) - site of Cirque's Cavalia, the Food Cart Festival and beach volleyball.

Larwill Park - site of 2010 Canada House and others, future art gallery & office tower location and current commercial parking lot.
Is it still zoned as a "park"?

Future park at Richards & Smithe - commercial parking lot.

BTW - remember a few years back developers started converting parcels into temporary parks and community gardens
to reduce their tax bill?
@ Burrard & Davie, @ 1st & Manitoba (The One), @ The Mark, and others.

WRT having a park at all at that location - it's necessary because the site is too contaminated to be built on.
It's the site of the Gasometer (coal burning plant to generate electricity). The Provincial environmental folks had a fit
when Concord or someone else proposed reconfiguring the area so that condo buildings be built along the north edge of the park.
You'd have coal tar oozing into the underground parkade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
1948 Aerial view of Vancouver showing the Original Georgia Viaduct, Cambie Bridge,
a visiting Goodyear blimp and the Gasometer!!

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/a...odyear-blimp-2

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:25 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Looks like we are not the only people tired of green/gray glass.
This is mostly a fluff story, but it's interesting to hear that part.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1573949/do...h-development/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:43 AM

"Where’s the colour? I do remember thinking that we are approving this, it’s basically shades of grey and green."

Why on Earth did they then fiddle with One Wall Centre and the likes???

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM

Photo credit: me

Excavation continues at 508 Helmcken St. which is the subject of a lawsuit by the Community Association of New Yaletown vs the City of Vancouver

Cityhall Watch Article on this property

One thing about public housing projects is the excavation goes extra quick as there is (little or) no parking. It looks like they're already getting the central core ready in these pictures.

Old Posted Today, 1:13 AM

I noticed that there is a red crane up in West End around southern Jervis/Bute. I only saw it from the Seawall, but is that perhaps for the controversial condo tower that will replace that old wooden manor?

Old Posted Today, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I noticed that there is a red crane up in West End around southern Jervis/Bute. I only saw it from the Seawall, but is that perhaps for the controversial condo tower that will replace that old wooden manor?
Yes, can confirm. I live just around the corner. Project well underway.

Old Posted Today, 2:40 AM

Did they demolish the old building already? I was expecting more public outcry.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver