HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Mts should flop to
Forks should flop to
Alt and Glass should flop

Catch my drift?
For a person like you AJ I would have thought you could see past the blinders most winnipeger a have on. It's in plain writing that the management / owners of portage place allowed it to go to shit. I believe the first people we sold or leased it to for a stupid amount of time are from Texas. Guess where they make their money? From the parkade under it. They don't care about the MALL.

Same thing when a developer wants to FINISH this project. As in the TWO missing towers. The owners block it.
Not sure I follow. PP was originally managed by Cadillac Fairview, which also manages Polo Park. I think most recently it was sold to an outfit from BC (Peterson). I'm not sure the failure of the PP can be blamed on poor management considering if failed nearly immediately under Cadilac Fairview.

The Forks North Portage Partnership owns the underground parkade. They are the ones profiting from that. Some feel FNPP is holding up development of the pads because they control the parking.

Last edited by Authentic_City; Oct 14, 2014 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Hello? P P failed because nobody went. Why go to a mall downtown when there are malls where people live, in the suburbs?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:07 PM

Besides the points already mentioned when it comes to management and easy access to suburban malls, the demographics and clientele have changed dramatically from the time it was constructed. Street front access was sealed, theft at the mall and crime around this location increased, pushing high end retailers out to the burbs and so on and so on.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:32 PM
Transit Nerd

I love how they now lock up the chocolate bars in Portage Place, in the same plastic anti-theft packaging, as video games and electronics... the theft problem at Portage Place is RIDICULOUS.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:37 PM

LOL chocolate bars. My goodness.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:41 PM

^ In fairness, it's not the regular sized chocolate bars but the highly valuable family jumbo packs.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:52 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but does this create a "tunnel" on York?

I saw some local media person tweet about the tunnel becoming the most "dangerous" place in Winnipeg when this is complete.

Also, wasnt there an issue when MTSC was in the planning stages where they wanted to over-hang on one side, creating a "tunnel" and because if that, the city refused to allow it?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but does this create a "tunnel" on York?

I saw some local media person tweet about the tunnel becoming the most "dangerous" place in Winnipeg when this is complete.

Typical Winnipeg ignorance at its finest.

It has created a tunnel on York, but it's not a particularly long one. And I don't see what will make it any more dangerous than the Convention Centre was before. And we all know what a huge hotbed of crime the Convention Centre was in its original form.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:04 PM

The media are Winnipeg's worst enemy. Constantly on the typical BS attitude.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:05 PM

^^

-freep from OP of thread.

Covered by Esquire already. But it's a nice tunnel...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:08 PM

"Tunnel" even feels a little bit extreme. It's like passing beneath a bridge.

Not to mention, it's still pretty early on in its construction. I can't imagine it looking too dangerous once the lighting is in place.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:23 PM

I don't really get how it would be any different than any other street downtown. Not like you're going to fly away when a bad guy comes along! I guess the lack of surface parking lot is making the area feel to urban!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I love how they now lock up the chocolate bars in Portage Place, in the same plastic anti-theft packaging, as video games and electronics... the theft problem at Portage Place is RIDICULOUS.
Point well made.

When security wears Kevlar Vests and they're still worried about working in a (retail mall), you know some kind of intervention is needed.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:32 PM

I think that most of the retail security wears some sort of vest downtown. The City Place Guards as well as the ones for MPI in the office tower also wear them.

Actually I think that MPI has all the guards in their Winnipeg locations wear the slash resistant vests.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I think that most of the retail security wears some sort of vest downtown. The City Place Guards as well as the ones for MPI in the office tower also wear them.

Actually I think that MPI has all the guards in their Winnipeg locations wear the slash resistant vests.
We're begginning to veer way of course with this thread but it is relevent to downtown safety in some ways with the start of the York Ave twitter safety issue post.

I understand your trying to show that PP is not the only large retail outlet downtown with safety issues and the protocols they have implemented to safeguard their staff.

No, most retail security or loss prevention staff do not wear protection of this kind while working. The fact that it is obvious in 2 downtown locations is a red flag.

In regards to MPI. I attended their offices for a emergency situation in the past. As a public sector entity their entire safety protocol and security situation changed soon after the situation was resolved. Public sector and Government offices/locations have seen an increase in overall security over the years due to other threats.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:21 PM

I certainly agree that the safety issue is ridiculous. But then you've got one Mayoral candidate trying to push the narrative that every single woman in Winnipeg feels unsafe while anywhere downtown.

My other point was, wouldnt it have been nice if the city had been willing to let True North build MTSC over-hanging the street like the Convention Centre?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
My other point was, wouldnt it have been nice if the city had been willing to let True North build MTSC over-hanging the street like the Convention Centre?
I can remember when they were proposing the MTS Centre there where a bunch of loonies claiming that the overhang on Hargrave would become a dangerous place for women to walk. They could envision frequent rapes and muggings.

Absolutely ridiculous that anyone could think that.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:36 PM

They did build MTS Centre overhanging on Hargrave, a bit. They even reduced the street from three to two lanes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:40 PM
What could go wrong?

They reduced the street to two lanes, the building overhangs the sidewalk and there are two sizable overhead walkways. I really can't see what they were complaining about but I remember it clearly.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:25 PM

Oct.28 - Update

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan