HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:23 AM
williamchung taiwan's Avatar
williamchung taiwan williamchung taiwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,421
BES says cousin of mayor asked it to cancel bid


By Abraham Gerber / Staff reporter






BES Engineering Corp (中華工程) ran a full-page advertisement in four of Taiwan’s major Chinese-language dailies yesterday, claiming that another bidder had been favored from the start for the Taipei Twin Towers project.

The company also alleged that Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin’s (郝龍斌) cousin, Tung Hai-lung (董海龍), asked BES Engineering chief executive officer to drop the company’s bid.

Last year, BES was awarded the project — which is to link the future Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport MRT line with Taipei Main Station — after Taipei Gateway International Development Co (太極雙星) withdrew due to corruption scandals.

However, negotiations with the city government broke down after new conditions for signing the contract contract were imposed last month, leading to BES Engineering officially losing the tender on Sept. 30.

“The main point of the advertisement is to emphasize that Mayor Hau has favored a particular contractor throughout the bidding process,” BES Engineering spokeswoman Tseng Chiung-ying (曾瓊瑩) said.

“When Taipei Gateway International lost its eligibility, the mayor had already decided against signing a contract with us,” Tseng said.

She said the city government had deliberately dragged out negotiations to devise signing conditions that the firm was incapable of meeting.

BES Engineering has already appealed a court ruling against its request for an injunction and would consider other means of legal recourse, she added.

The mayor denied there was any conspiracy.

“Using threats and intimidation when negotiations break down is a poor approach” Hau said. “BES Engineering had orally agreed to all of our conditions. We merely required them to put those promises into a legally binding document.”

He denied that Tung had asked BES Engineering to drop its bid and called on the firm to provide evidence for the accusation.

When questioned on whether potential legal action would delay the search for a new contractor, Hau said that everything would be done in accordance with legal procedure.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../09/2003601675
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:53 AM
williamchung taiwan's Avatar
williamchung taiwan williamchung taiwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,421


Apple Daily

Inside 1st fl lobby
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:00 PM
williamchung taiwan's Avatar
williamchung taiwan williamchung taiwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,421
Taipei City government to build twin towers on its own2014/10/14 18:32:11

Taipei, Oct. 14 (CNA) Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin said that the Taipei City Government will carry out the scandal-plagued Taipei Twin Towers project on its own instead of contracting the project to any property developer.

BES Engineering Corp. has lost its qualifications to work on the project because it failed to pay fees and submit required documents after being awarded the project last year, Hau said.

BES is the second contractor to be awarded the project only to lose it. The first-place bidder, a consortium led by Taipei Gateway International Development Co., withdrew after accusations of corruption in the bidding process.

As the city government does not accept the terms offered by a third bidder, according to Hau, it will undertake the project on its own through the municipal Department of Rapid Transit.

The project calls for two new towers in the aging western part of Taipei that will link railway and subway lines to bus terminals and serve as the hub for the metro line to Taoyuan International Airport, Taiwan's major gateway, which is set to open in late 2015.

With one tower rising 56 floors and a height of 243 and the other 76 floors and a height of 322 meters, the buildings are expected to cost more than NT$60 billion (US$1.97 billion).

Calling the project important to Taipei's development, Hau said the city is eager to complete the project in the next 5-6 years.

The decision to hand it to municipal rapid transit authorities follows five unsuccessful bidding processes and, Hau said, will guarantee the quality of the towers' construction.

Tsai Hui-sheng, director of the Department of Rapid Transit Systems, said his department has about NT$30 billion in a development fund and is open to the idea of letting investors join the project.

Sinyi Realty Inc., one of Taiwan's leading property sales agencies, said that the decision by the city will be in the public's interest as such a large-scale project needs leadership from the government.

(By Huang Li-yuan, Wei Shu and Frances Huang)
enditem/WH

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201410140028.aspx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:22 PM
williamchung taiwan's Avatar
williamchung taiwan williamchung taiwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,421
Construction of 'Twin Towers' to be carried out by Taipei City: Hau

By Chi-hao James Lo, The China Post
October 15, 2014, 12:01 am TWN


TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) yesterday announced that the prolonged construction difficulties of the “Taipei Twin Towers” (雙子星) will be resolved, with the project no longer up for bids from development companies.




During his inspection of the construction of the MRT Taoyuan Airport Line, Hau said that the Twin Towers project has faced multiple difficulties since it was first conceived.

As such, Hau stated that the project's investment and construction development will instead be handled by the Taipei City Government's Department of Rapid Transit Systems (DORTS, 臺北市政府捷運工程局), with the total construction value estimated to be around NT$60 billion. The mayor also stated that he hopes for the project to be completed within five or six years under the administration of DORTS.

The decision was reportedly made partially as a result of the project's developer BES Construction Co. (BES, 中華工程) failing to provide the necessary documentation, fees and funds as requested by the Taipei City Government. BES had previously received the project after the project's forerunning bidder, Taipei Gateway International Development Co. Ltd. (TGID, 太極雙星), was found to be incapable of fulfilling the terms of the construction plan.

Previously, BES protested against 10 additional stipulations that were imposed by the Taipei City Government, claiming that the required sum to secure a financing guarantee was absurd, prompting BES to bring the case to the Taipei High Administrative Court (臺北高等行政法院). However, the court rejected the firm's complaint on Oct. 6. Following the ruling, BES openly stated that the company will continue to seek legal action.




DORTS Officials Explain Twin Tower Project

During an interview, DORTS Commissioner Tsai Hui-sheng (蔡輝昇) stated that construction will likely begin as soon as the project is deemed to have met the stipulations of the Environmental Impact Assessment Act.

DORTS officials also said that the buildings' foundations, which are the most difficult and most time consuming aspects of the construction project, have already been completed, meaning that the MRT Songshan Line could begin operation at the end of the year as planned.

The completion of the foundations will also enable DORTS to continue building the project without much difficulty.

Reportedly, NT$30 billion from DORTS' Land Development Fund has also been included into the project fund to serve as emergency financial support should the situation arise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.