HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
They're going to need to start plans for more 30+ storey buildings if we want to maintain it as 2nd densest neighbourhood in Western Canada.
With all of the development that has taken place over the last 15 years in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton... hell, even Victoria and Kelowna, I highly doubt that statistic (which is as old as I can remember) is true anymore. I'm guessing it hasn't been true for quite some time.

But yeah, that picture does make it pretty clear that despite all of the new developments in the Osborne Village area, almost 30 years have passed since the last true highrise went up in that area.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
With all of the development that has taken place over the last 15 years in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton... hell, even Victoria and Kelowna, I highly doubt that statistic (which is as old as I can remember) is true anymore. I'm guessing it hasn't been true for quite some time.

But yeah, that picture does make it pretty clear that despite all of the new developments in the Osborne Village area, almost 30 years have passed since the last true highrise went up in that area.
True.

Replaced with mult-tenant structures, but all 3-4 stories. Density increases with new and infill buildings but nothing over that height as of yet. Well 9F proposed for River/Osborne but nothing larger.

Who knows, the market may dictate something taller soon enough but the population of the area is increasing. Still positive news.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:30 PM

Conrad house is flying along..So many other projects in the works or contemplated in the area.

lountcorp.com

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 5:19 PM

New green for Confusion Corner?
New Corydon-Osborne area report says un-pave and put up a park

Image Source

Article Source:
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/11/0...nfusion-corner

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 7:19 PM
Source?

Interesting... Is there a more detailed map anywhere for this?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 7:31 PM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:19 PM

I think these are the same boneheads who floated that idea about turning alleys and back yards off Corydon into parking lots a while back. It's funny that the Sun, stupid as they are, would seize on this notion of turning confusion into a park when it's a really minor part of this overall report.

You can find a link to it in the Sun's article. Most of the report is fluff. They have some good ideas about upzoning the area. Their commentary on Confusion corner basically doesn't go beyond "it's a disaster and we need to do something about it, maybe a park".

Years ago we had a big argument on this board about what to do with CC. Someone, Spocket maybe, floated the idea of tunnelling Pembina highway under CC to Donald. I was vehemently opposed to the idea at the time, but now I think it's the right idea. Just remove Pembina from the CC equation entirely and restore the Corydon-Osborne street grid. A park is a waste of space so close to a transit station though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 9:15 PM

Does anyone know anything about the two condo projects on Cauchon Street, off of River Ave in the Osborne area?

There are two brand new builds at the end of the street, but I don't see any information about sales or rentals.

My friend lives on the street and says she sees people going in there all the time (maybe for viewings?), but I can't find any information on the internet.

There is a JW Construction sign in one of the windows.

Last edited by pegger87; Nov 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 11:11 PM

The one on the corner never had units for sale. It's a 4 or 5 plex built by the unit owners.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:58 PM

Corydon BIZ pans plan's height limits
Restricts development in busy neighbourhood

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-3

There you have it in greater detail.
I still believe the height restrictions should be relaxed along the Corydon Ave strip in question.
6-8 Flrs.. there are multiple residential buildings at the 8-10 flr. height already.

Quote:
"We're not very happy with what's being proposed right now," Von Steckelberg said. "It's very difficult to attract investment when you have such strict limitations."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:12 PM

^ Once again, the last think being considered are the market conditions that actually guide development.

It's irrelevant, anyway. The Corydon strip has been on the decline for ten years due to draconian liquor regulations and there isn't anybody raring to develop it as it is. This will only hamper any further development. Height gives developers the value they need to see...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:56 PM

New development on this 9 block stretch has been rather stifled over the last decade or more with only a few new units being added near Stafford Ave. The rest of the strip consists of mainly renovated residential blocks. Everything in between is in the inevitable change and turnover category that happens with retail/bars and restaurants over time

In other words, development and major investment in the area has come to a crawl.

I quoted Peter in the previous post for a reason. He's an investment expert I've worked with in the past. He understands the benefit of not restricting the height to a degree that will scare away potential developers. Good Advice.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 1:17 AM

It's funny how the Sun and Freep picked out different headlines from a pretty broad report.

Anyway, from what I read the height restrictions seem dedicated to preserving the current character of the current Corydon strip, whatever use that is. The rest of the plan calls for upzoning other parts of the area--notably along Stafford towards Grosvenor, along Pembina, and on the parts of Corydon that aren't currently developed with retail.

If you ask me, it's the kind of granular zoning that never works out. Getting the land and resources together to pull off a project seems hard enough without being restricted to a 3 block area in the general neighborhood in which you hope to build. I say just upzone the entire thing to 6 floor mixed use or higher and let the market sort it out.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
It's funny how the Sun and Freep picked out different headlines from a pretty broad report.

Anyway, from what I read the height restrictions seem dedicated to preserving the current character of the current Corydon strip, whatever use that is. The rest of the plan calls for upzoning other parts of the area--notably along Stafford towards Grosvenor, along Pembina, and on the parts of Corydon that aren't currently developed with retail.

If you ask me, it's the kind of granular zoning that never works out. Getting the land and resources together to pull off a project seems hard enough without being restricted to a 3 block area in the general neighborhood in which you hope to build. I say just upzone the entire thing to 6 floor mixed use or higher and let the market sort it out.
Bang on.

And this is largely because you're arbitrarily introducing a market scarcity. As you drive up the costs of the this rare development land by artificially increasing competitive variables, all you succeed in doing in decreasing the likelihood of any development. Especially in Winnipeg. We need to encourage people to live in dense, mature neighbourhoods like Corydon/Osborne by making it a more affordable option, not a less affordable one because somebody ignored the effects of scarcity on pricing...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:32 PM

Found this sweet little filler project in the Village that was mentioned way back by 2architecture at 400 Wardlaw Ave..didn't realize it was nearing completion. Some listings have it at 398 but 400 seems to be the location..

If you can locate a pic of the finished project it would be greatly appreciated..

400 Wardlaw Condos
13 Units | 4 Floors
Completion Date: 2015

http://www.2architecture.ca/locations/

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:35 PM

Does anyone know what's going into the old eyewear store by Green Carrot?

Also, Osborne is the densest area of the city, and should be a main/good route for cyclists, yet it is one of the most dangerous stretches. The only bike lane is on the bridge, but it disappears on either side of it, which is especially bad considering several main bike paths feed into it (Assiniboine, Jessie/Warsaw, soon Pembina). what do you think of this:

1) What if Osborne's main drag was reduced to 3 lanes and separated bike lanes put in. One permanent lane in each direction, and a centre lane that switches directions depending on time of day. The centre lane has overhead lights with an X/arrow to show traffic — these are popular lots of places in Europe, and on some streets in USA too. During evening rush hour right now there's barely any traffic going north anyway.

2) I don't understand why when Osborne North was just rebuilt they didn't add bike lanes (even though it was redone to accomodate bikes on the bridge and Assiniboine). The lanes are too narrow to drive alongside bikes, but there is a TON of room on either side from Ass. right to Portage to add lanes. I know they just redid the sidewalks, but the city could even use the existing walks as bike lane, and create a new raised sidewalk alongside them.

Curious what ppl think, and if you have other suggestions for the street that could probably benefit most from bike lanes..

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 6:43 PM

Looks like the "something big coming" on Osborne is just a rebrand of the optometrist. BORING.

Also, on Thursday the Corydon BIZ installed about 10 cool new sculptures on the strip, hopefully more improvements to come.

They really need to plant new trees in the empty planters... just having flowers looks ridiculous. Also, maybe it's time for different flowers... we've had the same colours for 20 years.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 8:13 PM

^ I wonder what will end up in the Desart space which is closing after July 1?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I wonder what will end up in the Desart space which is closing after July 1?
Yeah, it'll be interesting. Osborne and Corydon really need a shot in the arm, they're looking old and dated and lots of the shops/eats are old and dated. Everything seems to be shifting to the Exchange, even thought there's way more people in the Village.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 4:12 AM
surely you agree with me

Why did Corydon die?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan