HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:22 AM
Build'em high!

What do you guys think of Drinkwater Grill, Vintage or Bookers? The owners of that group are putting a restaurant called 'Rush' into the base of Harris Homburg Phase I. Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:40 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Yeah, for Indian GoI is pretty stellar and the service is always good. The Apna Sweethouse is the cat's ass! A bit ghetto but the food is authentic and they have the best Masala Dossas in town.' Anapurna is also a great choice for all Vegetarian Indian Cuisine. I have always been a sucker for Rajdoot
Yeah, Apna Sweethouse is probably one of the best hidden gems anywhere. I went there not too long ago, and it was as good as usual but the prices have gone up.

It used to be $6.99 for the lunch buffet which is very good, and now it's $8.99 and on Fridays and $10.99

Skylark out in Forest Lawn is another good Indian buffet. $9.99, and decent selection.

For those interested in Central American cuisine try Casa Latino out in Forest Lawn. It's Nicaraguan/El Salvadorian cuisine. It's very good, I'd recommend trying it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:41 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
It's the +15 system.
I'll keep flogging the "compared to Winnipeg" here. Winnipeg has nearly as extensive a +15 as Calgary - and in many ways it's far easier to navigate as it's straight through most buildings.

It isn't the +15. Downtown sidewalks are positively thronged with people during lunch hour. Does the city have some ridiculous permit laws or something?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:44 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Burritos for example, are to real Mexican as Ginger Beef is to authentic Chinese.
From Wikipedia, always the most trustworthy source:

Quote:
Mexican popular tradition tells the story of a man named Juan Mendez who used to sell tacos in a street stand, using a donkey as a transport for himself and the food, during the Mexican Revolution period (1910-1921) in the Bella Vista neighborhood in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua. To keep the food warm, Juan had the idea of wrapping the food placed in a large flour tortilla inside individual napkins. He had a lot of success, and consumers came from other places around the Mexican border looking for the "food of the Burrito", the word they eventually adopted as the name for these large tacos.

Burritos are a traditional food of Ciudad Juárez, a city in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua, where people buy them at restaurants and thousands of corner stands. In this border town there are eateries that have established their reputation after decades serving burritos. They are eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Usual ingredients include barbacoa, mole, chopped hot dogs cooked in a tomato and chile sauce, refried beans and cheese, deshebrada (shredded slow-cooked flank steak) and chile relleno (stuffed pepper). The deshebrada burrito also has a variation in chile colorado (mild to moderately hot) and salsa verde (very hot).
If they come from Mexico, they're Mexican in my book.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:26 AM

Quote:
My biggest bit of grief with city is the lack of good, cheap Mexican. To the point that I just don't bother anymore. Better to just save it for trips to the U.S. South. Maybe if I get down to see my Aunt in Texas I can get some more (and yes, they have tons of both Tex Mex and the real thing). Here in Calgary, I've had El Sombrero, Julios Barrio, Los Marriachis. Haven't tried Salt n' Pepper yet. I'll admit, I found Julios Barrio acceptable, when a plate of enchiladas only cost $9. Los Marriachis and El Sombrero are better food, but still cost more. Not in steak-house expensive territory, but still up there.
While some may disagree with weather or not burritos are authentically Mexican, I've discovered Red Burrito in Van - you get lotsa beef (or chicken) for 5 bucks. And tasty, too!

Quote:
Speaking of Japanese, I tried Soba Ten over the summer. Portions were... small, though I thought it was interesting experience.
My fave Japanese places in Calgary, although they were severely short-staffed the last time I was there.

Quote:
I'm sure many also acknowledge the relative superiority of Kim Anh when it comes to Vietnamese subs. They make things better simply by having good hours.
One of the places I really miss. I love their subs! I haven't had a viet sub since moving. I want a Kim Anh sub right now dammit!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:45 AM
That's what she said

^Subs at Kim Anh are the best, no arguing that. There's a Vietnamese sub place up in Marlborough that's really good also. I can't remember the name of it, but it's kind of hilarious because if you order a sub combo (with salad rols or spring rolls), the waiter goes to another Vietnamese restaurant two doors down and comes back your spring rolls.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 6:05 AM
Majestic

Freeweed: As entheosfog noted, it is quite contested. That link to Juarez is not proven, but one of several theories. You'll note if you've had a Mexican burrito how much different it is from one you'd get at a Tex-Mex place. Generally better ingredients, and looks more like a Shawarma than the ball of grease that comes from Taco Bell. Even in the rest of North America there are many variations of the Burrito: Mission style, San Francisco style, Montreal style.

Same thing, but also very different.

Here is a particularly interesting little account of the Burrito:
http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexic...ose-of-yo.html

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Freeweed: As entheosfog noted, it is quite contested.
Yeah, when I lived in Calgary, my girlfriend would go to the place across the street for her sub and was defiant that her place was better...almost ended up in a few big arguments!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Dinner at River Cafe last night was one of the finest dining experiences of my life... and it's amazing with all the reputable high-end places that have opened recently, the RC still manages to pack the house. They have these new "one bite" appies that are bigger than amuses bouches but smaller than average appies and they're only 2 or 3 bucks each- these were outrageously delicious, one was a poached shrimp on a dollop of carrot mousse, and the other was a sort of mushroom-potato cannoli but with more carrot as the "dough." Both were spectacular. We had salads (they have separate "one bite," "appetizer," "salad" and "share" offerings, so there are many ways to configure a meal); mine was a green salad with radish, soft-boiled egg, house-cured bacon and barley; partner had local beets- now I know neither of these sounds that interesting, but both were mouth-filling and gorgeous. Mains: I had the tenderloin with a slew of sides- pureed sweet potato, kale (which I cannot stand but they did an okay job with), roasted blue potatoes, and a yorkie stuffed with bison shortrib (!); partner had one of the specials, a risotto topped with brined, pan roasted pheasant. Both were out of this world, but I wish I'd gone with my first choice which was the risotto. It had wild pine mushrooms, and the flavours were just explosive. Dessert: strawberry pavlova (meh, not that much you can do with meringue, not bad but not special) and an amazing pumpkin spice cake with house-made... ice cream, but not sure what kind, it had bits of toffee brittle in it. Oh, and the cake came with two largeish chunks of poached quince, which I'd never had before. Finally they gave us a couple of truffles gratis.

This was a feast to remember. Four "one bites," two salads, two mains, two desserts and four glasses lf wine were $202 not including tip, and it was well worth it. One complaint I've had about River in the past was how tiny they portion sizes were. No complaints here AT ALL.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Glory of India is the best I've been to, but then again I haven't been to many Indian places in town. I do know that Taj Mahal was NOT up to me expectations.
I often frequest Taj Mahal -- its lunch can be pretty good but there are other better places these days.

Quote:
My biggest bit of grief with city is the lack of good, cheap Mexican.
Hear, hear. There's cheap mexican, There's good (read: passable) mexican, but nothing really in between. Julios is a better place to get hosed on margeritas before a movie in July than necessarily good mexican food.

Quote:
As for Sushi, I've really been to Sushi Tokyo and Sushi Ichiban. Same place really, just different names. Sushi still costs more than Mexican though, so it's a rare treat for me.
Sushi can be pretty expensive... these days I seem to eat a lot at Sushi Zipang in bridgeland and go for rotating sushi at Kinjo Sushi by Shinook mall. I generally try to stick to Japanese-owned sushi joints, which alas, neither Tokyo or Ichiban are.

Quote:
Speaking of Japanese, I tried Soba Ten over the summer. Portions were... small, though I thought it was interesting experience.
I find the service too slow for lunch and I never get around to going there for dinner.

Quote:
On the Mediterranean side of things, Jimmy's A&A is king in my books.
Their large donair is the size of a small child, gotta love it for cheap + awesome!

Quote:
I'm sure many also acknowledge the relative superiority of Kim Anh when it comes to Vietnamese subs. They make things better simply by having good hours.
Which one is Kim Anh? My favorite subs come from the place in Chinatown next to Pho Pasteur facing the Harry Hays Building, but I'm always interested in other placed. Is it on 17th? I wish there were more vietnamese sub places in the burbs -- there's not even a Thai Tai in the north end

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:28 PM

As far as greek food goes, this Parthenon sounds good. Whenever I eat Greek somewhere other than Pegasus I feel like I'm cheating

Here's a question, has anyone here been to Bolero, the Brazilian Barbeque all-you-can-eat above Smuggler's Inn? It looks pretty awesome but for $35 each I'm a little wary to jump right in there... Any thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:33 PM

I'm always looking for new places to have coffee. Particularly outside of the typical Beltline/Downtown spots. Suggestions appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:59 PM

i will chime in on the mexican food .... i lived in mexico for 5 years and my sister has been there for 16 years ... i've traveled all over the country... north, south, yucatan, central... the DF... and this shit that they peddle in this country as mexican food isn't even passable on any level AT ALL... mexicans do not eat sour cream ( the only place you can buy it there is in friggin walmart )... they do not put lettuce and tomatoes on tacos... EVER... guacamole does not have tomatoes in it ( its usually just puree avocado ) and they don't eat vegetables ...

most mexicans eat alot of caldo or sopas ( rich broth style soups of chicken or beef or unmentionables like pig skin and tripe ) tons of fast fry style steak and pork... milanesa ( breaded cutlet in chicken beef or pork).. guisados ( meat or veggie in a sauce much like an indian curry only with different spices) with spanish rice and tortillas and tacos are chopped up beef, or pork... or tongue or brain or all number of nastiness ( barbacoa btw does NOT mean bbq ) and they are served with fresh chopped cilantro and onion ( that would be "con verdura" veggies) and fresh key lime... on the table you'll see a red and a green salsa... the red is hot the green is made from tomatillos... no lettuce... no sour cream.... no tomatos or cheddar cheese ( which also up until about 8 years ago it was near to impossible to even find cheddar cheese in a store )...

ok rant off... can you tell i get pissed about "mexican food" in canada...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 5:06 PM

i've heard good things about that sushi zipang in bridgelands...

also... what the hell is a restolounge.... thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard...

Blink was terrible.. the food was just ok and it was quite expensive...

Bistro 2210 has really good food but is a bit pricey

Murrietta's is great and reasonable in price - i had the bison with shortrib gravy and it was incredible

Cilantros - been around forever and consistently has great food

Brava - completely overrated

eight/Mercury - the last time i was there i ordered the bison tenderloin and scallop... it came with literally a 3oz bison tenderloin and 1 ONE scallop... it was $42... needless to say i won't be going back there

anybody have any suggestions for good italian....

River Cafe sounds amazing... i have stil yet to dine there...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 5:48 PM

I've made a website with my favourite places in Calgary. It has ratings and stuff, if you're intersted:

http://giantavocado.com/

You can add and rate restaurants.

My favourites:

Indian: Surya 1207 11 Ave
Korean: Seoul
Chinese: Bobby Chao's

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 6:05 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I always find it cute when people get all pissed off about how a culture varies imported cuisine to make it suit their tastes.

Somehow I picture some snotty Indian sitting down to eat in Mumbai one day, to curried poutine.

"What is this horseshit?? I've BEEN to Canada, and Poutine there DOES NOT HAVE CURRY IN IT! This is an atrocity on the level of Hitler!!!"

I find it even cuter than 9 times out of 10, the acutal people who have moved here from a foreign country don't bitch and moan about what we've "done to their food". They accept that another country will modify it somewhat. Which is why you see Chinese people here actually eating fortune cookies (gasp! the horror!). Hell, I've even seen some of them, maybe 2 years off the boat at most, eating ginger beef AND LIKING IT. Burn the unpure!

Of course, if Taco Bell is the standard of comparison, there's no hope. That's like calling McDonald's a "real hamburger".

Edit: except some true Ukranians. They do in fact get offended when we change their food. "Our ancestors were too poor to afford meat, so for the rest of time no one should ever put meat in a Ukranian dish - that's not REAL Ukranian food!!". Not that I've seen this debate every Xmas for the past 30 years or anything...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 7:17 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I have been to Globefish for sushi once a week for the past 4 weeks!

I am in love!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 8:49 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

poopysheep- I've never had anything less than a beautiful experience at Brava- what was your problem with it? Their lobster poutine is what I want to be buried with!

Italian recs:

High (REALLY high) end: Capo
Low end and incredibly delicious: the tavola calda at Lina's Italian Market

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I figured that this might interest a good lot of you!

From Maclean's Oct 22nd 2007

Is one cup of coffee woth $15?

A Panamanian brew called Esmeralda has brought the coffee-drinking world to its knees

Toronto residents have long been accustomed to emptying their wallets for a gourmet meal or fine glass of wine. But is Canada's most expensive city ready for the $15 cup of coffee? Matthew Lee thinks so. Lee, 29 recently opened Manic Coffee, a cafe on the bustling outskirts of Toronto's Little Italy. To celebrate, on October 19 he'll begin offering up a limited amound of Esmeralda Special-a heady Panamanian brew that's brouight the coffee drinking world to its knees

Can one cup of coffee really be worth $15? "All I can say is yes," Lee says ernestly. "It is the most remarkable coffee I've ever had in my life." Fragrant, floral, and tea-like, with notes of jasmine and bergamot-these are some of the qualities connoisseurs ascribe to Esmeralda. Others seem to get tongrue ties at the very thought of it. "It's amazing. That's all I can say," gushes Aaron Webb, a raoster at Discover Coffee in Victoria, B.C. And Lee won't just be offering standard esmeralda in his cafe. He's bringing in the legendary Esmeralda action lot (a careful selection of the farm's very best beans)-in other words, the creme de la creme of coffee.

Lee and Webb aren't alone in their enthusiasm; the hype has been deafening. Esemeralda fist caught the attention of coffee lovers in 2004- the year a coffee tree known as the geisha was discovered on Hacienda la Esmeralda in lush western Panama. As it produced less than a typical coffee plant, the geisha is rarely cultivated on Central American farms. But adter owners sampled beans from the geisha tree-originally from ethiopia, it flourishes in Panama's high altitues-they knew they had a winner. "It's a flavour that's never been found in the America's before," says marketing director rachel Peterson.

That yearm the auction lot sold for a record US$21 a pound at a time when a pound of commercia-grade coffee was going for about 73 cents. It quickly becam " a marketing thing," says mark Prince, senior editor of coffee appreciation site coffeegeek.com. One buyer (Kansas city's The Roasterie) even hired an armoured truck to deliver it, presumably for protection against over caffeinated fanatics.

The award winning beans went on to smash record auction prices for two of the next three years. But this year's crop-rcognized as the best yet- blew the others away. At online auction in May, bidding got so frantic the site temporarily crashed. After eight gruelling hours, the lot sold for a stunning US$130 a pound-over 100 times the price of commercial grade coffee (and roughly 10 times highger than the non-auction Esmeralda Special geisha beans). 49th Parallell Coffee Roasters was one of seven winning bidders, and the only Canadian company, to claim a share od the 500 lb. lot; it roadst the coffee exclusively for Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver.

Since then, Esmeralda hype has reached fever pitch. A Caffe Artigiano press release dubbed it "the world's best cofee, EVER!" Journalists who attended a tasting even touting $15 cup coffee were gifted a half pound bag, which sells in stores for $135. Owner Willie Mounzer has focussed on making Esmeralda "an experience" for customers who order it: a manager personally delivers it on a silver platter. So who's buying? "Anybody with a distinct palate; [people] in the industry; show-offs," says manager Jaoquin Quian.

Within the coffee community, Esmeralda backlash has begun. "It is out of control, in my opinion," Prince says. He suspects some retailers have been "less than crystal" about whether their coffee is auction lot or not-especially confusing since both bear the same name, Esmeralda Special. Prince himslef bought three half pound bags be believed to be acution lot esmeralda, only to find he's been duped. (Non-Auction lot esmeralda sells in cafes for about $5 a cup. Timothy's will be offering half pound bags of non-auction for $17.99 as of mid-November.)

Price's advice to consumers seeking auction-lot beans is to make sure retailers ger specific about what they're selling before forking over the cashe. But, he admits, the average taste buds probably couldn't tell the difference anyway: "they're both fnatastic."

Back at Manic, the auction-lot Esmeralda Special is definitely for real. Lee's bringing in three pinds from Chicago based Inteligentisa Coffee Rosters. It's probably only be enough for 50 cups, he acknowledges, and even witht he $15 price tafe he doesn't expect to make much profit. But it's worth it,he insists. Just don't ask for a paper cup-Lee draws the line at serving esmeralda to go.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I can't tell the difference between estates but I'm an espresso person. I just bought a pound of Intelligentsia Black Cat (espresso blend) roasted on Oct 22, so now is the sweet spot (4-7 days post roast- the stuff you buy at the supermarket might be a YEAR post roast). $17.95 a pound and as much as I want to pay for beans- I do pay about $18 a pound for Hines espresso roast from Phil and Sebastian at the Calgary Farmers' Market. I bought the Intelly at Communitea in Canmore, which is a great coffeehouse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation