HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The vast majority of modern SUV's are no longer RWD 'truck based' with body-on-frame designs and are share platforms with cars. My wife's Lexus SUV shares platform with Camry/ Lexus ES.
Yeah, a lot of SUVs are now crossovers, but so are a lot of pickups. The Honda Ridgeline shares the same platform as the Honda Odyssey minivan.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Canada's top selling cars of 2019:

Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Elantra
Mazda 3
Volkswagen Golf
Volkswagen Jetta
Kia Forte
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
Toyota Prius
https://motorillustrated.com/most-po...in-2019/41422/

I imagine the list would look pretty similar in Toronto, though perhaps with a few more luxury cars sneaking in there. Seems every rich person has to have a Land Rover now. There are also more pickups than you might expect here, likely as a result of the large construction industry.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's based on license plate type. for whatever reason, the state of illinois gives pick-up trucks "B" plates (trucks), and SUVs get "A" plates (passenger vehicles).

and for whatever reason, the city of chicago has a rule about not parking trucks (anything with a "B" plate) on residential streets overnight.

the city also bans "B" plates on the boulevards (LSD is technically defined as a boulevard by the city) which is why you don't see pick-ups on LSD either.

the distinction probably had a lot more relevance in the past before Yukon's and crew-cab F-250's started blurring all of those lines.

EDIT:

my info is a bit outdated. looking further into the issue, it now appears that the city has realized how the automotive landscape has changed and most wards in the city now allow pick-up truck owners to apply for special pick-up truck parking permits from their local alderman's office. so it's no longer outright illegal in most places around town, but it's still yet another hoop to jump to through, which certainly adds to the relative unpopularity of the type in chicago.
That's interesting.

In California, our plates don't say "TRUCK" or "COMMERCIAL" like they do in some other states, but, you can tell what kind of plate it is by the alpha-numeric pattern; currently, it's:

Regular passenger vehicle: #XXX###
Commercial vehicle: #####X#

And for some reason, in California, pickup trucks get commercial plates, and SUVs don't. Maybe it's an outdated notion that pickup trucks were commonly used as commercial vehicles?

I remember back in the late 90s seeing an out-of-state plate on a Toyota 4Runner that had "TRUCK" on it, even though in California, 4Runners had/have regular passenger vehicle plates.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Fugly gigantic pickup trucks. Spreading like a cancer, every second vehicle is a Dodgy Rammed, Ford F-150-ton, GrossMonsterConveyance, or High-Ho-Silverado!!

Bigger. Louder. Uses more fuel. Takes up more space. Encroaches on your ability to enter/exit your parked car. Self-entitled, douchebag drivers wearing the uniform of fucking Oakley sunglasses, beard, and pasty skin. Almost never is there something in the truckbed.

We are moving in the wrong direction. Not only in terms of the environment, but also in terms of how awful our urban fabrics have become due to the decades-long primacy of the automobile over the pedestrian, and now the primacy of the hulking pickup truck over the car. Roads will get wider. Parking lots will get wider to accommodate larger trucks, and the need to back in.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:05 PM
E pluribus unum

For a long time, Ohio was similar to Illinois in how they designated registration for trucks. Lots of trucks with older Ohio plates will have something like "non comm" (non commercial) located where the county sticker would normally be placed.

I see a handful of Tesla's in Flagstaff, but the first time I ever saw a Model S was in Silicon Valley in 2013. Then I saw about four or five after that in quick succession. They're everywhere, which makes makes sense since they're assembled at what was once the NUMMI plant in Fremont and because there's a ridiculous amount of money flowing throughout Santa Clara County.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Easy: Tesla Model 3. They've replaced the Prius as the official "I care about the environment" status car. EVERYWHERE, from the hoods of East Oakland to Pacific Height.
Those seem to be common in the LA area too.

Incidentally, my sister's husband has one. He let me drive it, it's actually fun to drive. They live in a rural area too and he let me drive it on a back road with my nephew, and it goes from 0-100mph REALLY. QUICKLY.

Out and about, in my immediate area, I feel like I see a lot of Teslas, Minis, Hondas, Toyotas, Mercedeses, BMWs, Nissans, Mazdas (CX-5 seems to be a popular model), Alfa Romeo Stelvios, Volkswagens, Chevy Equinoxes, Land Rovers... quite a mix of makes.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

Looking out my window at a relatively major road right now and there isn't really any dominant car type, though the list Monkeyronin posted is probably fairly representative. Once you head a few houses back it gets quite wealthy so lots of Land Rovers, Audis and BMWs are parked in driveways / on the street. When I travel to visit family in Calgary one of the first things I notice is the much higher proportion of pickup trucks and SUVs everywhere.

When I was in Johannesburg the most common cars were probably Volkswagen Polo by a longshot (not available here, compact cheap VW and the starter car of choice) with BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Toyota Landcruisers in more middle to upper class areas. And of course the ubiquitous Toyota Quantum used as a minicab taxi which are everywhere. White is the colour of choice by a huge margin interestingly enough.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:33 PM

I really like that electric vehicles seem to be getting more common now where I live; EV charging infrastructure is really growing. In addition to Teslas, I see a lot of BMW i3s; there are probably some Nissan Leafs out there too, but the BMW i3 seems to have really caught on. A friend of mine, her husband drives one, but she is stuck with the mom vehicle, an Infiniti QX60.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:07 PM

Yeah, Tesla Model 3s are everywhere in coastal CA. It's crazy; they're like the new Civic or Accord.

Teslas aren't that common in the Eastern U.S. They're hardly rare, but I could probably go days without seeing one.

One weird local quirk- Wealthy Orthodox Jews own Porsche Cayennes, which I always thought was odd. Rich Orthodox areas in NY metro are full of Cayennes.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:38 PM
A Man In Dandism

Model 3's and now Model Y's are the new upper middle class statement car. It's the next level up from the Prius. This cartoon is still relevant today, except hybrid is now EV.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:40 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Those seem to be common in the LA area too.

Incidentally, my sister's husband has one. He let me drive it, it's actually fun to drive. They live in a rural area too and he let me drive it on a back road with my nephew, and it goes from 0-100mph REALLY. QUICKLY.

Out and about, in my immediate area, I feel like I see a lot of Teslas, Minis, Hondas, Toyotas, Mercedeses, BMWs, Nissans, Mazdas (CX-5 seems to be a popular model), Alfa Romeo Stelvios, Volkswagens, Chevy Equinoxes, Land Rovers... quite a mix of makes.
Mini Coopers are super common in SF bc they can fit into those tiny parking spots. And they're also fun to drive!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, a lot of SUVs are now crossovers, but so are a lot of pickups. The Honda Ridgeline shares the same platform as the Honda Odyssey minivan.
I think the Ridgeline is still the only unibody FWD truck on the market. Most truck buyers are particular about RWD/4WD and beefier body-on-frame construction and would never consider the Ridgeline even though for 90% of what people use a truck for, it's perfectly fine.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Easy: Tesla Model 3. They've replaced the Prius as the official "I care about the environment" status car. EVERYWHERE, from the hoods of East Oakland to Pacific Heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Mini Coopers are super common in SF bc they can fit into those tiny parking spots. And they're also fun to drive!
Yeah, but you still see plenty of Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc. The Audi SUV seems like the thing to have among the techie crowd,

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 8:12 PM

The usual Japanese cars are most popular: honda Civic, Accord, Nissan Altima(i have one)...etc.
Interesting that Nissan is so popular in the South but not the rest of the US, and of couse an American car for the upper Midwest:
https://insurify.com/insights/most-p...by-state-2020/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:08 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The usual Japanese cars are most popular: honda Civic, Accord, Nissan Altima(i have one)...etc.
Interesting that Nissan is so popular in the South but not the rest of the US, and of couse an American car for the upper Midwest:
Interesting. Didn't even know they still made Malibus and Impalas. I never see them on the road here.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:45 PM
DRINK

unscientifically,

1-f150

Big gap

2/3-4Runner/Explorer

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
The Vermont car doesn't surprise me at all.

I wonder how this chart would look if we could include trucks. Probably quite depressing. Trucks are very popular and heavily underused for their real purpose.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 10:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
and of couse an American car for the upper Midwest:
not just the upper midwest, rather the whole damn midwest, both great lakes and great plains states, with ohio being the lone foreign exception.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
They are indeed fun to drive. I had a 2012 Mini Cooper, bought new, and it was fun for the first 4 years... and then after that, it was just problem after problem after problem. And I maintained it like I was supposed to, but it still kept needing repairs. It died on me last December, and I was happy to get rid of it. I'm never getting one (or any European car) again.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 1:14 AM
E pluribus unum

/\ My mother had the same problem with her 2007 Volkswagen. Any time we get a car that's not from an Asian manufacturer, it ends up being a piece of shit (Chevy Malibu, Volkswagen New Beetle, I guess Renault counts but that was a corporate car), and we're not a family that buys or leases new cars every few years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
not just the upper midwest, rather the whole damn midwest, both great lakes and great plains states, with ohio being the lone foreign exception.
I'm kind of surprised Ohio's isn't the Accord since they're manufactured near Columbus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions